_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 6 November 2012

The Washing Machine

When we moved to this house we got a new washing machine with automatic sensing and no agitator, just little nubs on the bottom for smushing clothes against. It is - IMHO - absolutely horrible. And it's not just me. Several of my friends have the same opinion about their own version of this new kind of washing machine. It truly is horrible. Not only does it stretch and pill the clothes, they don't come clean, the soap won't rinse out, you use more rather than less water, and you can't over-ride the sensor and fill the tub completely for dyeing fabric. To saying nothing of the auto-lock, a function worse than any iron's auto-off.

After MUCH discussion with the store where we bought it - and will never shop at again because I'm a huge advocate of good customer service as a marketing tool - we were able to trade more for less and get the only washing machine left on the market that allows you to manually set the level of the washing water. You still can't set the rinse level. That is mandated by law courtesy of the Canadian government to a maximum of one third of a tub and it is illegal to tamper with that feature. Go figure.

I'm sure they - the government - didn't anticipate people washing their clothes several times to get them clean and soap free thereby negating any advances that this apparently important piece of legislation was meant to make although I personally do think the government has far more important things to do than mandate water levels in washing machines. We the people are able to conserve water by choice. But then again, no one asked me.

Either way, the new machine came Saturday and it was an absolute delight to lift the lid and see a full tub of water which is not something the teenage me ever imagined being thrilled about when I "grew up". Too funny - I can dye again!




Just to clarify - because someone asked - the final put down was not a sad moment. It was longed for and happy. I was becoming increasingly afraid that if I couldn't shift my thinking away from making money I would lose the love of creating and that's definitely not something I want to have happen. With the lack of time spent in the studio recently and the fact that there has been a brand new sewing machine sitting in a box in the hallway for over a week and not much interest in opening it, the probability was getting closer. Reading that quote - the thing that we cling to is the thing that controls us - was an ah ha moment. I have no desire to be controlled by the pursuit of money or of recognition or even of the desire to do what I love to do. Without care and attention, good things can turn into bad things.

My son was reading a novel about the first native hockey player in Canada. He - the hockey player - eventually quit playing due to racism and peer bullying. Without hockey, his life became aimless and he spiralled into abuse. The book concludes with him putting on skates and for the first time in years standing on a hockey pond. He has the realization that only the thing that you are missing can fill the hole created by missing that thing, as in only hockey can fill the hockey hole. I could certainly relate. As with all forms of grief, you must learn to live with the hole.

For me, living with the hole means separating money and creativity. I want to remember the fabulous days that were with gratitude for what I learned and the journey taken and - instead of trying to recreate what was - look forward to what will be. There is a vastly different perspective and a lot more to discover in the world of creativity for personal pleasure and sharing.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - full tubs of water

3 comments:

  1. The older I get, the more that simple things like washing machines and decent coffee matter to me. I just wish my water heater would get the water hot enough to do an efficient job of dish washing (by hand). Sigh. I know that the government has to protect us from so much danger, but ... hot water in a mixing faucet? Really? Glad you're now able to exert control over at least one thing in your life, lol.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Good post Myrna.
    I am living with an almost 40 year old washer,dryer set that I know cannot last much longer and I dread the day we have to replace them.

    Thanks for your insight this morning,
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrna
    I believe the decision you have made will give you more freedom in your creativity. I don't think you will regret separating your creative activities from your making-a-living activities. I've struggled for years, resisting others who push me to turn my creative pursuits into revenue producing. They don't understand, and I really can't explain, that not tying the need for remuneration into my creativity is so, so, well, so freeing.

    ReplyDelete