_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 15 November 2012

Tip Toeing Through The Adjectives

The picture below is from Advanced Style. When Ari asked the woman if he could please take her picture she said yes and then proudly shared her age. She looks fabulous, fresh, confident, at peace with herself, enviable and she's 84... years old... and female... a lady. In terms of dress style, this woman definitely does not dress old lady. My comment yesterday referred to a specific fashion look that most of us recognize and was meant to identify a style and not to offend. I think that was obvious by the way in which I used the phrase although I doubt there is any phrase I could have used that wouldn't have upset someone...




.... so here's what I have to say. It's a given that some people will deliberately misinterpret our comments and then rudely share their opinions. It appears as if they feel they have the right to say whatever they want to say while criticising the same freedom in others. In my opinion, rudeness and over-reacting to nonexistent insults are negative traits that are on the incline in today's culture and ones that more people need to speak up against more often - although polite persons hesitate to do so for fear of appearing rude. I'm rarely rude or hesitant to speak up so the bottom line is my blog, my way. My intentions are to share and never to harm however I am not responsible if people choose to take my words incorrectly so if you don't like what I have to say or how I say it, you are free to click away or you might instead choose to assume positive intent. It's a much less aggressive and stressful way to live - in my opinion - which I'm entitled to.




When I showed my new thrift store purse in yesterday's posting, I meant to use it as a bridge to talking about the purses I made earlier this year. They came back from the gallery last week only I won't be listing them for sale. I had a request for two, have kept several for myself, gave some away to friends, and have one in the bits & pieces box to re-make into a cover for whatever reader or tablet I purchase next. I wanted the studio to be a positive creative environment and having the purses around wasn't that. My decision to put down any possibility of art as a money making endeavour feels - finally - final. It's an unfamiliar hole for now but overall I'm enjoying the awareness and am excited about moving in new directions, whatever they may be. The posting for the job closed Friday. I would love to get an interview. Actually, I'd love to get the job. It sounds perfect although - VBG - if they're checking out blogs they may not think I'm perfect if speaks her own mind isn't a hireable characteristic.




The underarms seams are sewn and I added the ribbing from the original back as the right button band. It's serged 1/2" away from the ribbing to create a lettuce edge which adds just enough interest without being too frilly for the rest of the garment.




The buttons are from stash. I wanted them on the right band so I'll stitch snaps underneath. There were three large and three small and that's it. I mixed them up keeping the look current and up-to-date without being overdone. How's that for tip toeing through the adjectives - LOL ! ! The hemline is uneven. I need to figure that out next plus I'm working on adding shape to the back.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - freedom of speech which - IMHO - comes with manners and responsibilities that are far too often ignored.

6 comments:

  1. Amen. Why is it that those in our society who are mean-spirited are also the ones with the biggest egos, who feel free to trample on the rest of us then sit back and be patted on the back for doing so? We don't have to take their poison. Good on you for pushing back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna, Thanks you for the dose of common sense! On a totally unrelated note, with regard to your studio visibility from the street .... we had a large bank of windows that provided way too much visibility, especially at night. We had pleated blinds installed that lowered from the top as well as raised from the bottom. It allowed us to have natural light at the top and bottom of the window, as much as we wanted, but gave a large privacy 'block' in the middle of the window. I did see some at Home Depot (Tiffany brand, I think) although we got ours from Sears. Cheers,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh! The "old lady" comment was too funny. I know EXACTLY what you mean.

    I find myself sometimes crossing that line unintentionally. And then think, "OMG, what was I THINKING? Stop that!"

    You know the look. The Alfred Dunner look. It's a look that younger people can rock with no problem, but when you're too close to the line age-wise, well, it's not a good idea. :-)

    And yes, ageism *is* tolerated. So is "fatism". And "class-ism".
    And a lot of other things. Like "rude=ism".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your refashioned cardigan, it's great and has a high end look, not apparent in the original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Along with the death of common sense--is coming the death of a sense of humor. This world is becoming such a world of "victims" (IMO) who seem to look for a reason to be offended. Just my 2 cents. Must have missed news of a potential job interview, Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sweater. I find it funny that the term "old lady" is offensive. I think that is is more offensive to post a criticism on somebody's blog. If you don't like it, click away. For me, I'm glad to still be here to be called an old lady.

    ReplyDelete