_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Scarves & Socks

My decision - for now - to knit items that don't need to be sewn together seems like a good one. I'm getting more accomplished and it's fabulous to start, knit to the end, and be done... sort of !




You still need to weave in the ends and block. Both of these scarves were made with the same needle size and stitch pattern but different yarns. The brown one is 2" narrower than the blue one and much denser. The blue is more lace like.




They were a couple inches longer than my blocking board so I had to do the ends separately. Blocking with knitting is like pressing with sewing. It gives the piece a professional finish.




While pinning the blue scarf to the board, I found this dropped stitch just hanging off the side. I'm not sure how I invented another one on the next row but I was glad to catch this before it pulled out. I separated a strand of the yarn to create some matching thread and stitched the loop in place. There shouldn't be a problem now.




The scarves are blocked, folded, and ready. I just need to check the calendar for the date of Chinese New Year and make sure to deliver them on time. I know my acupuncturist and her husband will enjoy them. They're a very appreciative couple.




AND... in the same spirit of not sewing together - I started a sock which will hopefully become one of a pair. The color is only okay. I prefer solid colored socks that are - IMHO - more sophisticated, less folksy, and show off any pattern better plus knitting a pattern is more fun that just going around in circles. Unfortunately most of the sock yarn available in town is variegated or self striping. I may need to order solids... and get a sock box for over the cupboards!




When we bought this house the washer and dryer were upstairs in an extra deep closet in the hallway and we moved them downstairs into a larger laundry room intending to use the closet for linens and Christmas storage only it evolved into the stash closet instead. Dark green with dull lighting is not good for viewing fabric. Howard installed a four foot fluorescent with two full spectrum tubes and the difference is amazing. I can actually see what I have - even the details - YES YES! The green walls outside the closet are the same color as the green inside. Isn't it fascinating how light affects color? The hallway light is not full spectrum.

The cardigan is coming along wonderfully - a fun project. More later.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - light

1 comment:

  1. I am knitting a pair of socks too. I did a mocassin toe and am going to try a new heel by Cat Bordhi called the sweet tomato heel (you can find it on YouTube).

    I would love to find some plain sock yarn also so I can knit up a pattern. I will have to look at the wool shop downtown when I start my next pair. I want to do another pair in a heavier yarn but have to finish this pair and two more pairs in a lighter sock yarn.

    Your scarves are wonderful looking.

    ReplyDelete