_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 6 June 2022

A Great Date

Creative adventures were a part of my life long before I read Julia Cameron's book The Artist Way and learned about artist dates. I've always felt it was important to gather inspiration and to take a freshened perspective back to my work in the studio. And I love learning. THAT is good and enough BUT a great date is more than just inspiration - it's also confirmation. 

On Saturday, I went to Creative Chaos, a huge arts & crafts fair in Vernon about forty-five minutes away and wandered through three buildings filled with booths and vendors. I paid particular attention to the jewelry and the bag booths. With both, I thought about the hopes and dreams invested in producing that much inventory - and the pressure. 

With the jewelry, I wanted to see if there was anything that made me regret my decision to change course and there wasn't. Instead, I was reminded of the overwhelm of too much inventory with nowhere for it to go and of the small market for the kinds of pieces I create. There was nothing at all like my work there which doesn't always indicate opportunity. 

With the bags, I paid attention to the quality of the workmanship and of the supplies used and to the prices which were ridiculous IMHO for a handmade item. The larger lined bags with two zippers, a frame, handles, and hardware were $55.00. Wallets were $35 with snaps, dividers, card pockets, and a zipped change pocket. Add interfacing, thread, and other studio expenses and even with streamlined sewing and wholesale purchasing, that's barely above cost not including labour or profit. 

I talked to several vendors who sold more expensive, one-of-a-kind items and asked what reaction they were getting to their prices. Thankfully some were willing to share that it was mixed with fewer sales although the two gentleman selling leather products that included belts and wallets seemed to be doing quite well. They were very busy. Considering the date, I wondered if people were buying Father's Day gifts. 

I came away with confirmation, SO GLAD that I had decided to take a different path by supporting the process and not producing the product. This feels very comfortable. Along with everything I enjoy about designing and writing a pattern, it also allows me to make singular items rather than multiples and to eventually follow up other tickles. Down the line, I want to have hand painted fabrics and one-of-a-kind buttons for sale at my in-person classes. Later. Right now, the focus is patterns and online workshops.




These are examples (from Pinterest) of what I call flat handbags. This is one of the styles I'll be exploring in my book as well as developing several patterns around. It's both great for beginners and perfect as a blank canvas. There are endless ways to fill the form. 





This weekend, I've been working on a rectangular version that has been kicking and screaming and generally not co-operating. Obviously, I was going in the wrong direction - VBG. These 2 1/2" squares were spaced, pinned in place, and stitched to a denim background where they looked like blotches - not the look I was going for - and a lot of work. 





After trying to figure out a way forward that didn't involve a seam ripper, I eventually picked them all back off, butted the shapes, and sewed them (both sets) into one piece six rows by eleven rows. I was happier with that and the bag has continued to develop from there at a much faster pace. Not that I'm in a hurry but it always amuses me how stuttering and slow it can be until I catch up with my artist's vision. I think we're on the same page now. 





I mentioned in Friday's post that I was finishing a pair of pants to wear for my birthday dinner. I did and I didn't. When they were done, I put them on and they still felt way too big even though I'd already taken them in some. Because of the tipped shape of my waist, the top of the waistband needs to sit at my waist or there's bunching below. Apparently, I've lost some tummy rounding because when I pinned out that bunching, it was 1 1/2" at center front across to the side seam and then tapered to nothing at center back. 





Along the side seam, I could pin out 2 1/2" on each side or 5" in total from the waist through the cuff to the hemline. When I tried the pinned version on, the less ease looked far more attractive than too much fabric. Yesterday, I finished adjusting the pattern and cutting out another version. I'll see how that works before deciding if I'll alter these. I really like the fabric but I'm not sure it's worth the work. 


 


Last Thursday when I went hairspray and fabric shopping in Kelowna, I looked for denim for jeans as well as fun prints to make pants or skirts with. I bought the three above left which are all quilt cotton and the denim top right which is a medium weight. The other two fabrics were at a second store in Vernon that I stopped at on the way home. I didn't buy them Thursday but I did go back to get them on Saturday.

The dark yellow ochre with dots, which is totally my style but so not my colour,  just would not get out of my mind. I thought about making funky pants with it for the whole time in-between. The lighter weight denim is a fabric I've used before and really liked. I hadn't remembered buying it at that store until I saw it again and since those pants are too big, I bought it again to sew them smaller. 

I had a delightful weekend and a good start to my next decade. It was filled with creativity, adventure, family, and friends - good food - some chocolate - flowers and gifts. I enjoyed it very much. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a lovely birthday weekend

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you had a great start to your next decade. OMG, those handbags are awesome. I would love to know how to make them. I can picture both of them in different fabrics and textures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - just wait, I'm working on patterns. Make sure you're signed up for my email list.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry I'm late but Happy Birthday, MyrnaπŸŽ‚πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm celebrating all month. My family is coming next weekend and that's the last event planned.

      Delete