_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 1 June 2022

Watching The Bags Go By

Over the next month, I have friends and family coming to help celebrate my birthday. Unfortunately, Mary had to cancel last week due to Covid. This week, Caroline is here for a few days, next week Francine is coming for a day, and at the end of the month my cousin Karen will be here for a week. And then, on the July long weekend, my daughter and her family are coming and we're having a family celebration. SO FUN.  

Caroline and I met when were sixteen and have been friends ever since. At first, we lived in the same community, then twenty-one hours apart, and now we're just over an hour apart which is quite lovely at this stage in life. We both really enjoying sewing and have taken many workshops and sewcations together over the years. It's very special to have a good friend that loves what you love. This time, we're going to move slow, play in my studio, and just enjoy our time together.  





I didn't want to start a new project on Monday if it wasn't going to get finished before she arrived so I redid the painted canvas bag instead. The handles are the same length now and it's better but not quite there yet. I really like the fabric and the shape and it presents much better now only I'm curious about how to improve it further, especially with the sides. I had to...





... physically tuck them in which would be harder with items in the bag. Snaps at the top could work but typically when there's an option like that, it doesn't get used. I'd prefer the bag to hold its shape without additional hardware. Boxed corners may have been the wrong choice for constructing this shape. Right now, I think it needs a side gusset with a dart like the bag I saw recently... while sitting in Starbucks... watching the bags go by.

On Monday, I researched different support structures like batting, foam, and fusible fleece as well as different kinds of interfacing and what they are good for. Several people recommended a new product only when I tried to order it, they were sold out with no information about restocking and no notification list. Hmm... something to be aware of. Don't frustrate the customers.

I ordered three new interfacing products that were also well recommended. It's a bonus that they come from a Canadian supplier, paid in Canadian funds, with faster shipping and no border issues. Buying through my wholesaler would have been even nicer since I'm too small to qualify for their wholesale plan. VBG - one day! 

As you're reading this, I'm playing in the studio with my friend - my longest friendship - forty-four years - and I know we're having a great day. I hope you are too. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful -
good friends

No comments:

Post a Comment