_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 30 May 2022

The Last Week & Free Stuff

This is the last week of the year of turning sixty. Today, I'm fifty-nine and on Friday I'll be sixty - how amazing is that! The opposite of older is dead. That reality certainly puts things into perspective. I'm happy to be getting older and to be heading into a new decade. I can't explain why it feels like a significant shift, but it does and it's exciting.

In particular, I'm thrilled to have a project to work on. With the recent changes in my personal life, I needed an engaging topic to develop a business around that not only utilized my skills and abilities but was fun. In my opinion, fun is even more vital as we age. I'd prefer to earn income having fun, to have more fun in my life, and to help others have more fun. 






I picked handbags not because of any research about the topic's potential but because I've been making them since my teens. I obviously enjoy them. To me, handbags are a practical luxury and a blank canvas. There are so many ways to see the silhouette and fill the form. 

Last week, I finished sewing and making notes on this basic boxed tote and I'm currently writing what will be a free pattern. Yesterday, I ordered a camera for making videos with plans to start both a YouTube channel and create online workshops including a free one showing how to sew this tote. 






The workshop will include many of the tips and tricks I've learned over the years to get flat seams, well matched intersections, less bulk, and a clean finish. I've always been fascinated by the most efficient, most professional way to create something. One blog reader described me as a dog with a bone. I just have to figure it out and then - when I do - I have to pass it on. 





Whatever it is that makes it work well has always been too good to keep to myself and I loved sharing what I knew before with my previous patterns, books, and workshops. While the topic is different, the desire is the same. I'm looking forward to helping my viewers create beautiful bags.  

I am working steadily on the first pattern and the first workshop and it's a STEEP learning curve. So much is different from when I did this before, over a decade ago. It's familiar and it's not. I'm learning new software, steps, and procedures and hope to have things functioning by the fall but I can't guarantee a time frame right now. I'm also developing a new website that will launch at the same time. SO EXCITING. 

One of the women I went to the retreat with in March is particularly gifted in this area and absolutely  LOVES it. As we've been video chatting, she gets so excited and lights right up over the technical stuff like I do over bag tricks. All I can say is THANK YOU because I can learn it but it's not my first love. I really appreciate her helping me AND I get to return the favour by helping her with her project. We are supporting and encouraging each other and holding ourselves accountable with bi-weekly check-ins. Again, I am so thankful. I am benefiting tremendously in multiple ways. 

If you would like to know when the pattern and the workshop are available, please sign up for my newsletter

AND... I'd love to know what kind of information you would like to see me develop around bag making? Have you made a bag before? How was that? When you buy or make a bag, what are the key ingredients it has to have? I'd really love to hear. You can post in the comments below or email me at myrna@myrnagiesbrecht.com.  Thanks.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - for Lynn

7 comments:

  1. Joan Hinchcliff30 May 2022 at 17:45

    I have made a few bags but I never feel they look very professional. I think my biggest confusion is what interfacings to use and how to use them. Do you trim the interfacing from seams or in some instances leave it in the seam. I’m looking forward to following your new adventure and learning your tips and tricks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Joan. Looking well made, better than store bought, is something I'm always working on no matter what I'm making but definitely the look I want for bags. Too fun that this afternoon I was researching interfacing options and have ordered some new products to try that come highly recommended. I'll be curious to see if I like them better than what I've been using.

      Delete
  2. Any bag I make has to have: a largeish zippered compartment so I can "hide" my (anachronistic?) checkbook; an open-topped pocket large enough to hold my cellphone; an open-topped pocket for pens and lipstick; a light lining so I can see all the grot rolling around in there; straps long enough to comfortably go on my shoulder -- and preferable long enough to wear cross-body; somewhere to attach keyrings close to the top of the bag; secure closure. And I'd rather have a box-bottomed bag than an envelope bag ... though a hobo bag's rounded bottom does mean that nothing gets lost in a corner. And I'd rather have a bag that is wider than it is deep.

    But I'm not picky, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything on this list! And I also like a zipper pocket on the outside of the bag (big enough to hold a boarding pass for air trips!)

      Delete
    2. Lin - I'm sorry. I just realized I hadn't replied. THANK YOU for the feedback. I really appreciate it especially as it's quite different than my list which is helpful for designing patterns.

      Delete
    3. Claire - I couldn't see how to reply to you specifically. Technical dinosaur - BUT... thank you. Do you fold your boarding pass? I like my outside pocket to be the size of a passport for sure but that's smaller.

      Delete
    4. Yes I confess. I do sometimes fold a boarding pass so it will fit in my passport+vaccination card holder. . . I have had trouble w/boarding passes on my phone but recently I gave it a try and didn't have trouble, so maybe I will let go of paper boarding passes. . .

      Delete