_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 27 May 2022

And Then Maybe Became Definitely

The end of this bag became quite frustrating. There were steps that I had to redo several times and it still didn't turn out as I'd hoped so I was already contemplating making it over and then...




... maybe became definitely. It was finished and photographed and I picked it up by the handles to hang it on the finished hook only to realize that while it was the same handle on each side, one was considerably longer than the other. Amazing that it took me that long - in that not really amusing way. It's in the time out corner right now. 





At this stage, there was a tickle of something being off only I was concentrating on getting the photograph and not really paying attention. The handles are sewn to the exterior fabric only. I could fix them through the opening in the lining but it wouldn't be easy. 





When I reached this stage, I decided it needed purse foam to give it more structure but I wasn't sure what shape to cut the foam since I was making up the design as I went along. I angled it from the side seam to the 12" width at the top only...





... it wasn't the best choice. Instead of a triangular shape, I got this rounded bump and had to sew tucks to keep the foam attached to the exterior and the sides leaning in to the middle. Several times. Because the stitching didn't always catch the foam until I stopped using clips and used pins. It's okay and not what I really wanted. 





I am quite happy with the zipper tab and I really like the handles sewn on with pearl cotton in a variegated purple. When I redo whichever handle I redo - the longer or shorter - I'll use this same thread. 





The side view is anticlimactic, not nearly as interesting as I was aiming for. I think if I remove the curve of the foam and angle it from the boxed corner at the bottom to the narrower top that it might do what I want. I really like the fabric and the overall look and think it's worth saving. It's one of the purses I want to highlight in my book. It will have a story to tell. 





Something new I tried was a zipper overlay. Typically, these are made from leather, vinyl, cork, something like that. Mine is the same fabric from an earlier point in the painting process. 





I'm really pleased with how it turned out. As always - thankfully - there are things I've learned that I'd do differently next time but I will definitely use this pocket again. I really enjoy that after so many years of making things, I am still learning. This is good. 





The lining has two pockets. One has a zippered closure and one is a double welt. They have different pocket bags cut from remnants. 





I'm trying really hard to use what I have in stash. This zipper was taken out of a previous project years ago and the end was fraying. I sewed quite a bit further in, caught the frayed end in the seam around the pocket bag, and sealed it with a fray check. 

I can feel that I'm getting more confident with making the pockets, sewing the square, trimming and turning. They are coming out increasingly more crisp and clean which is - of course - the benefit of practice. I'm still working on stitching evenly around the opening. Part of the problem is not having the correct foot. The foot I'd prefer to use is too wide and pushes the zipper around and I can't see clearly when using the zipper foot. Something to practice and hopeful find a foot solution for. You can watch for my improvement - VBG. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - developing skills

No comments:

Post a Comment