_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 23 July 2009

House For Sale

There is a gorgeous view of the valley from the upper deck off our dining room and the lower one off my studio. Each morning, I wander to the window, coffee cup in hand, to admire the valley and bask in the sun. You can imagine my shock when this huge sign glared back at me from the back fence of the neighbour across the way. HOUSE FOR SALE!



We live on a hill. They live on the hill. There's a road passing between us but it's quite a bit down there. About the only person on the same level as this sign, is me. At one time, I might have been tempted. It's a nice house. Now, I'm through that restless stage of bigger, better, more. I realize there will never be a perfect house. Instead, there is the ability to make a home and perfect that feeling of comfort and warmth and welcome within the walls that I am so grateful to have. I am content. No moving for me. I took my coffee cup to the front porch, pulled out my journal, and spent some time writing.

The blur in the picture is a combination of sun and smoke. I live in the interior of British Columbia. It's a hot, dry climate. We've had less than normal rainfall this year and the forests are like dry tinder due to the pine beetle kill over the past few years. Already, there are 1,100 fires in the province including the huge ones near Kelowna that you may have seen on the news. It's an eerie, anxious feeling to be living in smoke and always on alert. Fires break out quickly.

Temperatures today are expected to reach the upper 30's Celsius (near 100 Fahrenheit) and the weather woman is predicting winds, thunderstorms, and lightening. There will be more fires. There is only the house above and one across from it between me and a gully with a forested hill on the other side. Two years ago, the hill was on fire. We stood on the porch and watched the fire fighters put it out. They did an amazing job but so real a threat makes you focus on what is truly important and it's not stuff. Even as I am grateful for what I have, I keep in mind that it is only things and there will always be more things to acquire. Relationships are what is truly important.




How many clothes do you own? How many do you wear? Yesterday morning, when I went to fold my laundry, it occurred to me that the clothes I wear were in the laundry basket and the ones I sometimes wear - or not at all - were still in the closet. I wondered what I didn't wear so I cleaned out my closet and then the dresser drawers and found some more items to give away. Not too many as I don't have a lot of clothing and I've been getting better at knowing what I'll wear over the years but still, there were a few things.

Interestingly, it was the same as with the fashion fabric. The clothing that I passed along were items that were just a little too fancy for my lifestyle or in stiffer, firmer fabrics that I'm not drawn too. The ones I kept were flattering and comfortable and completely me. I am reminded to live MY life, to be who I am, and not try to fit into some other box that was never intended for me. Sometimes that means moving boxes - emotionally, not literally. So perhaps, I am moving after all - LOL .

A shower, breakfast, and then I'm going to work on my (sewing it ever so slowly) blouse. Have a great day - Myrna

Grateful: a wonderful home

1 comment:

  1. I am sneeking a break from work with my third cup of coffee to read your blog.

    You inspire me to put all my clean clothes in one place and then go through the rest and make a decision. This may not happen today as work is exhausting and I don't have the energy after I get home to do much.

    If I ever get my sewing stuff put in one place (the studio I never get around to creating) I don't think I will have to cull any fabric or patterns. However, I should really realize that I don't need any more. I hear all the unpurchased fabric, patterns and notions singing to me "don't do it", "you need to buy more". I should tell myself to get real!

    Thanks for the break for a very busy week.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    P.S. We have rain and very unusual low temperatures here for July. We still haven't hit the 90 degree mark (F) and have been setting record lows for our high temperatures. We are really wet and cold here.

    ReplyDelete