_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 15 July 2009

Too Orange

Kristin wrote: I love this quilt and the canvas you mounted it on. How did you get the little circles of dots on the canvas - stamps? Or is that a trade secret? The combination of the quilt and canvas are stunning. Great job!

Thanks. The circles were caused by lifting the wet paint with textured paper towel. No secret. I mentioned it in the posting but you must have missed that bit. It's very fun to use different textured items. With this second canvas, I used an open weave dish cloth and got a gridded woven look. You can see it in this detail shot.




You can also see that the color is too orange still. This is three layers, yellow, orange, and fuchsia. I let that dry overnight and now I'll add a layer of thinned green. That should lime up the yellow bits and rust out the orange ones and tone it down more in line with the vase while still maintaining some brightness to the edge. At least that's my theory.

Lori Jane gets to approve the colors before I attach the pieces. She was over yesterday and LOVED the turquoise. She loved the orange too but we both think it's a bit too much. Paint is so easy. If I tone it down too much, I can add it back again. That's a plus compared to fabric although I've learned how to fuse and paint over top of that too.



Cassy wrote: Oh, my gosh! I love the "Liz One" piece. The colors spoke to me and made my heart sing. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. I'm glad it was calling you. Liz taught me to work fast using fabric with fusing on the back. It's an interesting way to work. We put Misty Fuse on the back of a selection of fabrics with light to dark values in a color theme and then she gave me a subject and I quickly created a composition. We fine tuned it a bit from there and then fused it all together. I made thirteen small pieces in two days and then spent the week after stitching them with "Myrna" lines. It's a great way to push yourself.

Yesterday was knitting at arts & crafts and knit night. I have finished the back and right front on my cardigan and started on the left front last night. It looks great. I'll finish painting this canvas today and then work on the sweater a bit... unless I'm curled up reading a book. LOVE the lazy days of summer.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful: a big selection of paints to play with

2 comments:

  1. HI Myrna,

    Thanks for the explanation of the paper towels; that is ingenious! Yes, I see that I did miss it first time around. Sorry.

    What about adding some black streaks to the orange background? Whatever you do, I'm sure it will look fabulous.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna,
    Everyone has a different opinion. I like the orange canvas the way it is. But then I am not going to be the person who gets to hang it in my home.

    Have you seen the latest magazines for self home decorating? They are advocating buying stretched canvas and painting it or covering with fabric. A simple way to make a personal statement. Personal? When you use a piece of fabric that someone else designed and just fasten it on you are only saying that you like someone else's idea. VBG

    Enjoyed your post today. Have a great one.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete