_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 25 February 2010

2nd Blue S-2892

Sewing this week seems to be a repeat of last week. Yesterday, I re-sewed the corrected version of Simplicity 2892 in the indigo blue fabric that went so well with the SWAP. I was wrong. It was less expensive entertainment than I thought - only 1.5 meters and 3.5 hours so $0.65 an hour. I forgot that the fabric was 60" wide.




This time, I made a tie belt and lengthened the pattern by two inches. We took this picture in our guest room and obviously it's not bright enough there but I hope you can see how well it fits through the upper back. Removing that 3/4" makes a big difference AND the hem is level too. YES YES!




Last night, I started on a re-do of the grey cardigan. Hopefully I'll have it finished to show you tomorrow. With the remnants from the last one and another half meter of fabric, it worked. I've put the first version in my re-fashioning basket while I think about what to do with it. If nothing else, it can be cut smaller into a little girl's sweater... or even a little boy's as it's grey.




I was invited out for coffee yesterday. My friend LOVES to bake. It's her thing just like sewing is mine. My eyes glaze over and roll back when she gets talking. I have no idea what those words mean - LOL - but I knew that she'd be stressed not baking for me so I arrived with my biscuit mix and asked want to do a craft? She thought that was great fun and I got to see/taste these biscuits cooked in a properly heated oven. They looked more like giant cookies than biscuits however, they tasted great. We spread apple butter on them. I have two left for today.

Whenever possible, Thursdays are my sew all day day. I need to pop out to Costco and pick up some more coffee for tomorrow morning but other than that, should be a great play day in the studio. My plan is to finish the grey cardigan and depending on how that works, decide if I'm wearing it to church on Sunday and what with and do I need to sew something else. I'm debating a denim skirt.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - ongoing learning

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Beth H wrote - If it interests you, there's an article on PatternReview with some useful information on photographing your garments. Your photos are always good, and I get lots of inspiration from them. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Thanks Beth. I'll take all the help I can get. I assume I just use the search box to look it up?

Sal at Already Pretty wrote a post on Photogenocity. In it, she links to three previous postings that talk about how to photograph yourself . They contain some really good info. The whole discussion of am I or am I not photogenic was intriguing. It appears to be tied up in acceptability and self worth. There are very few photos of myself that I really like and most were taken when I wasn't expecting them. Otherwise, a photo never seems to look like I feel or think I actually look. It doesn't seem to be me so I feel cheated and misrepresented.

Because I look very much like my aunt who is extremely photogenic, I think the lack of photogenicity has a lot to do with emotions versus body or facial features. Apparently, I'm not as confident when a lens is pointed at me as I am otherwise and in some way find the camera judgemental. I say apparently because while I'm aware of a certain awkwardness, I am not aware of those specific feelings although I'm not surprised that they might exist.

I think - hope - assume - that more practice will be helpful. Sal talks about that - about getting comfortable in front of the camera. When I think about taking my tripod and my latest fashion out to the front yard when the flowers finally begin to bud and the grass is green and then setting it up and moving around in front of the lens trying to get a good image with the neighbours watching ... hmm... that will be hard. It'll definitely require practice. Too bad our back yard is not nearly as pretty - VBG.

I'm constantly amazed at how many areas of difficulty in our life can be traced back to fear of some kind - rejection, loss, judgment, hunger, inadequacy, worthlessness, and so on. Fear is THE most debilitating emotion. Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers is a renowned book on the topic. In it, she talks about her own story of moving forward. We all have a story. We all have areas in which to move forward. It's nice to know that progress can be made.

2 comments:

  1. Myrna- as soon as I saw that new blue top I hollered out "Yes!" at the computer...it is so much improved, and so much a better color for you!

    I'm going to read the articles that you linked to on photos and self, I hate seeing myself in pictures since I never look like the "me" I see in my head, or even in the mirror

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article (maybe I can link) is the one I was thinking of:

    http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/article.pl?id=022308

    The article archive, which may be a feature for Friends of PR, has more than just this one, however. I hope you are able to read it because it gave me some new ideas.

    ReplyDelete