_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 9 February 2010

Pile of Progress

Progress on the top has gone putteringly. I should be done. It's not all that complicated and would have been even less so if I'd read the instructions. The way that I think the front facing should be sewn and the way that the pattern drafter thinks that the front facing should be sewn differs. Oh well. I don't think that's really the issue.

I think I'm stalled because I find the two layers plus interfacing plus mega seam allowances through the waist quite bulky on such a light top although there doesn't seem to be any way around that at this point. Here's the back to date. It looks promising. I've been thinking about the fitting pros and cons of adding a back seam to designs. It makes a tremendous difference although it's most likely another one of those I don't always want a ______ types of things.




In contrast, here's a pile of progress. These are all but one of the skirts that I've sewn since October last year. I've also sewn a dress, a jacket, a pair of pants, and about seven or eight t-shirts. That's WAY more fashion sewing than I've done in years. There have been a few flops as well. That's life in the studio. What I'm really enjoying is that I go to my sewn clothing before my RTW items which means that I'm accomplishing my goal of producing items that fit, flatter, and feel good. YES YES!




Do you know where your husband is? I checked the GPS locator to see and Howard is spending a day at the beach along the west coast of Mexico while waiting for some paperwork to (hopefully) come through in order to cross the border into Guatemala. LOL - life is tough. After eight days of driving, this is a good idea. It's also a good idea because we've had a LOT of pressure from one of his friends to go along on an all inclusive holiday to a Mexican resort. So NOT my thing. He won't go without me so this is good. Now, he can lay around on the beach without feeling guilty. (Edited 9:01 am - the locator has moved. Guess something changed and now there's no laying around on the beach. Maybe the paperwork came through? ? ? )

Yesterday, I was tired, cold, hungry, and somewhat lonely which translates into a tad cranky. In the past when Howard has been away, there was the business to work on. Without it, I can basically do what I want all day except that amusing myself without purpose or company is a bit strange. I'm not good at aimless. It makes me wonder if I were ever single, what would I do with myself? As much as I love sewing, there are days when being in the studio is not enough and yet...

... one of the things I love about sewing fashions is how it connects people. It's not really sewing; it's a point of commonality. The same is true with many topics. Right away, there is something to talk about which makes going on a sewing holiday all by yourself completely doable. I've met some wonderful women that way.

Back when I was sewing fashions before, I took a lot of local classes, some in a nearby town, and attended Sew Expo in Vancouver, BC, Canada. When I was making traditional quilts, I attended That Patchwork Place University each year and after that closed, and up until last fall, I attended a retreat with 60 female textile artists. Two summers ago, I took a pant workshop in Portland, USA and last fall, a bra workshop on Vancouver Island, Canada. I've kept in contact with women from all of these events. In April, I'm attending a workshop with Ron Collins and Sandra Betzina. Two of the other women will be there as well. Having sewing in common is such a gift. I'm thankful for that.

It's Tuesday. It's knitting day. I've finished the back and started on one of the sleeves for my sweater. The knitted fabric has a wonderful hand and looks like mohair when it's really one hundred percent nylon. LOTS of looks for a low investment. I bought the yarn on sale for $2.00 a skein, regular $10.00. Love those finds.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - even though it feels like there's nothing to eat, there is. It just takes more work.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries in prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. Summing it all up, friends. I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious -- the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. - Philippians 4

Focusing on the worst that can happen is counterproductive. Focusing on the best is inspiring, motivating, forward leading. Why is the negative always so much eaiser?

3 comments:

  1. "Putteringly" ... what a wonderful word! This is the first time I have seen it used and I love it. You just expanded my vocabulary today. Thanks!
    Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question - I always "borrow trouble."

    This morning I was up and downstairs a bit earlier than normal. Instead of just letting the dogs up - I climbed into their space, cut the front of the houndstooth skirt on the bias and fused it. Hung it up - unplugged and turned off. I still had time to pack lunches, do dishes and start a load of laundry - all before leaving at 7!!

    Hope you husband makes it safely to his destination. g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there someway that you tracked your husband? My Dh goes hunting alone. Which does bother me. It would be nice to have a way to figure out where he is. I trust him, but things do happen, especially at our ages.

    ReplyDelete