_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 11 February 2010

The Idea Of A Blouse

Morning coffee. Afternoon coffee. Evening sewing. FINALLY some progress on Simplicity 2501. It's been so long that here's the pattern in case you've forgotten. I'm making the photographed view.



I started working on this pattern because the peplum on New Look 6563 was dropped and created these HORRIBLE back wrinkles. To eliminate them, the back seam would be raised and Simplicity 2501 was already drafted that way. Here's the New Look with wrinkles and...




... here's the Simplicity without. The back looks significantly better although I'd raise the waist even more next time, about the width of the waistband. A waist seam certainly works toward a smoother fit over the hips. I may need to incorporate them more often. I wonder if it can be done without a bias peplum or of that is part of the "secret" as well.




Using two layers of fabric, topstitched, with no interfacing was a lot less bulky for the waistband.




This is the facing. I accidentally cut it too long - extending from neck to hem - and then decided I preferred the way it overlaps the waistband creating a straight, finished edge. Although I've seen some absolutely gorgeous garments with Hong Kong seam finishes throughout, I'm still thrilled with the look of cleanly serged seams. Even though it was a LONG time ago, I can still remember what a difference having a serger made to my sewing.




Here's how the instructions for the waistband read. This method would create a lot more bulk turning back all those seam allowances. Even with the way that I did it, I hammered them flat. So glad to have learned that trick.




I tried the blouse on last night and liked the improved fit through the back. Otherwise, it seems a bit baggy at the front. I love the sleeves only I've realized they remind me of a dress I had in the 80's. Hmm...

One thing that I'm wondering about is sizing. It is very difficult to sew when you keep losing weight. Up until now, I've been sewing a size 14 through the high bust and shoulders only I just bought a smaller bra band size and it looks like I might need to go down to a 12 with a full bust adjustment. This Simplicity is a 14. The back looks pretty good so perhaps I should have cut a 14 back and a 12 front only that crosses two pattern sizes. I'm finding that with tops and I'm finding that with bottoms. I either have to buy two patterns or grade one up or down... or stick to patterns with all sizes in the envelope for now. That's limiting.

The other thing I'm wondering about is, is there such a thing as a blouse phase? Am I through mine? Perhaps I like the idea of a blouse more than the reality of a blouse because other than the dress I made a few weeks ago, I don't own a woven upper garment or a button up blouse. I thought this was because of the impossibility of buying one that fit and once I could sew my own, I would - I used to wear them in my previous sewing life - only it feels quite un-me-ish. I find myself getting quite picky about the fit and the feel. This one, once again, feels quite prissy buttoned up to the neck with that bow. If I finished it...

... it wouldn't be my favourite. I'm so not sure that I'd wear it that I'm debating not finishing. With my textile art, it was important to keep pushing through to the end because a successful answer was always just around the corner. I'm finding with fashion that it's completely different. Here, I often decide to be finished. Sometimes, there is a way to adapt the garment so that it'll work and other times no. I move on. How often do you not finish? How much attention do you pay to how a garment makes you feel? Why do you finish - or not finish - a garment? How important is that to you?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that I bought a new serger this summer. Works like wonderful.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - I'm going to quickly get dressed and take my son to the hospital lab for an A1C (average blood sugar test) and then to school. I'll edit and add this category later.

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of wearing blouses as well - and yet I don't have any. Part of it is I hate the way cheap interfacing bubbles and looks horrible. I've since found "good" interfacing - hope it won't do that.

    I make t-shirts and skirts. That's it!! I want to add blouses and pants but I doubt it will happen. I'm still frozen by alot of the fear you mentioned in the last post. Working toward getting past it.

    The sleeves do look a bit 80s. But I think it's good. If you love the blouse style could you maybe convert the neckline to a v and still have the tie? It wouldn't be as fussy and stiffling that way, but would still have the elements you were wanting. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great questions!! I have noticed that I have been sewing longer and more, I have been more willing to "cut my losses" when I don't think something is going to work the way I thought it would. I used to just plod along to finish the project, then it would hang in my closet, unworn, until it finally found it's way to Goodwill. I'm slowly coming to accept that not everything I sew is going to be a success, but it is really hard to know when it won't be a good idea to just "Make it work."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pathologically finish everything I sew - it's a guilt thing - if I don't, what will happen to the unfinished item? My husband always says, "your most precious resource is time, ditch it if it's not working out." But the idea of sending it to landfill appalls me so I finish it and send it to the Sally Army with the hope it enjoys a better future with someone else.

    yes, sometimes things work out that looked very unhopeful during construction - my favourite coat I had big doubts over until the final finishing and now I really enjoy it. Some clothes I can't enjoy until they've been in the wardrobe for a month and I've forgotten the pain.

    I once figured out that for me, my success rate was 5-3-2 - five things were "wearable but not true love" 3 things were " true love" and 2 things were "absolute wadders" - you know that goes for purchased clothing too now that I think about it.

    The thing is, for me when it comes to sewing I have to take risks and that means failure is intrinsic to the process - as long as I finish it and can flick it on I'm totally OK with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi to Myrna:
    E-mail is broken, telus and spanish servers don't communicate. Leaving for the city tomorrow, flying very early, all is well

    Howard

    ReplyDelete