_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 10 February 2010

A Lot of Nothing

Taking pictures in the morning never works. They come out looking like I live in a cave - which really isn't true. One of the reasons we bought this house was for the gorgeous windows all across the back only there's no light coming through them this early in the day. Everything has more of a candlelight glow - LOL.




Other than knitting, I did a lot of nothing yesterday. I've finished the back and most of two sleeves. They're just past the increasing stage. I knit the first one to this point and then stopped and started the second one while I decided on the finished length - three quarter. I'll knit them together now.

One of the women from Knit Night has invited me to her home for coffee this afternoon. I'll take my knitting along and see if we get to that. We could end up talking more than knitting. I'm looking forward to it. People have been so kind inviting me out for coffee these two weeks. It's WONDERFUL to have adult conversation. The boys do a lot of grunting - VBG - and, luckily, they also do a lot of hugging.




Kyle fell at basketball practice on Monday and bent his wrist backward. The pain and swelling were getting worse not better by last night so after Knit Night we went down to the hospital to get an X-ray. It's not a break. It's a bad sprain. This half cast looking thing is a splint. They're made out of heat activated, self forming, fiberglass that intrigues me as a tool for art. Pretty amazing. He has to wear the splint for a week and then see his doctor who - luckily - we already have an appointment with next Tuesday. For those of you wondering, there was no charge AND - it wasn't a busy night - we were back home in an hour.

I'd intended to sew yesterday afternoon and instead, spent most of the time on the couch taking a nap and then had a bath. It was FREEZING at Arts & Crafts Club - the kind of cold that seeps into your bones and you can't warm up. I'm not sure if the heat was turned down or what but I came home a ball of ice. Ice doesn't sew too well although I did take the waistband off the blouse. I'll replace the interfaced pieces with two layers of fabric and clean serge the seam instead of turning under the seam allowances. That should reduce the bulk in a way that works and makes my way of doing the facing a good choice - LOL.

A weird thing about this fabric is the smell, especially when ironed. It's strong smelling and has a "taste". Those of you who taste smells will know what I mean. It was prewashed. Nothing comes into my studio without going through the washer and dryer however, it was still giving off something so I put the rest of the yardage through the washer again just in case. There is some of the blue left as well as a lot of green.

sdBev wrote: Is there someway that you tracked your husband? My Dh goes hunting alone. Which bothers me. It would be nice to have a way to figure out where he is. I trust him, but things do happen, especially at our ages.

That would bother me too Bev. It's a global positioning device that sends a signal to a satellite and is picked up and tracked by a service called Spot. I imagine there is more than one service provider. Doug, the organizer, set it up. What I know is that if I click on this link, I can see where the team is. This morning, they've moved from the border toward Guatemala City. They're heading toward Tactic which is not on the map but - I believe - up toward Morales. The buses were left in a locked compound at the border to be delivered later. The paperwork didn't go through. Wouldn't it be fun if Howard flew back to drive them the rest of the way? For him.

Note... I'm rewriting this last part. Blogger lost it the first time. That's so frustrating when it happens. I know what I said but not how I said it. It's never the same the second time. OH WELL!

I love individuality. I love how we are all the same and yet so different. As a parent, teacher, creativity coach, friend, I want to encourage the people I interact with to discover and explore their interests. This trip of Howard's is the trip of a lifetime for him. He's been so excited prior to leaving and every time I talk to him, he's having a great time. It is NOT my thing. It's so NOT my thing that Howard would start laughing every time someone suggested that I might want to go too. As we explain, we'd like to stay married. I would never have discouraged him from going even though it is so not my thing just as he encourages me to take art and sewing workshops even though he can't imagine what possible fascination I find with putting bits and pieces of fabric together.

My expression of my interest is the same as and yet completely different from other people who also enjoy my interest. That's easy to see on blogs and Stitcher's Guild where (mostly) woman are interpreting the same or similar designs with different colors, patterns, textures, and individualized touches that are uniquely theirs. It's fascinating. It's inspiring. And, it takes work - to research, to practice, to develop skills.

Yesterday, I discovered a few blogs that look promising. They appear to be hosted by extremely accomplished seamstresses. They're on my list while I see. I have several blogs that I read each day. They help me to continue to learn which is really important to me. I'm also learning how to navigate Stitcher's Guild and later this year, I plan to explore Pattern Review. I find it a much harder site to navigate, mostly likely because I haven't given it the time yet, although the reviews are tremendously helpful. What are you doing to grow up your interest?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - no break and only an hour at the hospital

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - My counsel for you is simple and straightforward. Just go ahead with what you've been given. You received Christ Jesus, the Master, now live him. You're deeply rooted in him. You're well constructed upon him. You know your way around the faith. Now do what you've been taught. School's out; quit studying the subject and start living it! And let your living spill over into thanksgiving. - Colossians 2

Statistics show that our number one need is for acceptance and our number fear is of rejection. Because of that, many of our decisions can be traced back to fear. There is a saying in the church that a person is so heavenly minded that they're no earthly good. In other words, they're all talk and no action. We can stall, even protect ourselves, by gathering more information, by practicing longer, by discussing the situation in more detail, by prolonging and yet, sometimes, what we really need is to just DO. That's true with my expressions of faith. It's true in many areas of life, even sewing fashions. We can put off sewing that pattern, cutting that fabric, trying that new color for fear of failure, for fear of rejection, when what we really need to do is leap and learn. How much less am I living, how much do I hold myself back, out of fear? What more could I become if I let go?

1 comment:

  1. Good morning. I am so very thankful to have found your blog. You are so right about fear being imobilizing. I need to just do and if something doesn't work out - well hopefully I learned something in the process.

    your green sweater is looking lovely. g

    ps - I'm with Karen, I'd love to see links to the new blogs you found.

    ReplyDelete