_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 5 February 2010

Entering The Cube

A few weeks ago, I showed you the pieces for my joint exhibit with ceramic artist Megs Waterous called Along Those Lines. You can click on the link to see the pieces in more detail. Below are some pictures of the exhibit. The ones we took at the opening unfortunately were too dark and yellow. The lighting does that. These are much better.





The show is on for quite a long time - until March 21, 2010 - and during the Olympics, which is wonderful exposure for both Megs and I. You see the wall above as you enter The Cube Gallery.



The gallery is a square room just off the Gallery Gift Shop. You enter and exit through these two openings. It's free to attend and open to the general public which I think are two of its good points as well as being a fabulous space to exhibit in. Not too big. Not too small.

When Megs and I divided up the show, we determined that she would do a wall mounted piece for the short wall above and that I would do pieces for the three remaining walls. We each worked on sets of three although her threes divided into many parts. Work does that - wanders in its own direction - LOL.





People are surprised to find that we didn't do a lot of consultation and planning for the exhibit. Instead, we discussed the theme, divided up the space, and trusted each other to do their part. We've both been professional artists for a long time and we were quite confident not only in each other's abilities but in how our work would fit together. The reason we could do that so easily is because the similarity of line and shape between our work is so strong. You can see it in this close-up shot of one of Megs pieces and...




... in these two series of texture. My pieces show dark. They're heavy with tactile texture as are this set by Megs. The cream and brown piece is ruffled. There are scores into the sides and inserts that create a rough and ruffled surface.

The smaller wall piece far left sold on opening night and could have been sold over and over. There has been a lot of interest in it. It's a technique I enjoy doing so if I wanted to make more in that manner, at least I know it's well received.




My favourite piece is Yellow-Green With Magenta to the left in the image above. It's the other piece that has sold. These images are taken from far back so that you can get a feel for the show. Remember to see the pieces in more detail, you can go back to the previous posting.

I'll be in the gallery again today. An out of town friend is coming to visit for the day. We're going to visit the gallery, eat the (soon to be) amazing cauliflower soup I'm creating, talk sewing in the studio, and watch Sandra Betzina and Ron Collin's Jeans Couture DVD. I'm so excited. A whole day of talking sewing with someone whose eyes won't roll back and glaze over. YES YES.



After I finished cleaning the basement yesterday, I cut out the blouse and made a beginning on it but that was about it. Tucks and darts and slippery fabric weren't the right combination for my mood yesterday. I did knit. This is the back of my cardigan. That's all I know - that it's a cardigan. I'm inventing it as I go along. Already I see things I'd do differently and that's okay. Next time. I also see things I like.

Have a great weekend - Myrna

Grateful - I was praying for an opportunity to talk in a non-aggressive way about the situation with the coach. Yesterday afternoon, I received a very professional phone call from the new athletic director, an impressive and mature young man. I'm grateful for both the opportunity and the fact that the school has him in such a key position. He's going to be a good influence on the kids and the coaches.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - I said no. At the conclusion of our conversation, the athletic director wanted to arrange a conversation between myself, the coach, him, and the school administrator just to hear each other's side. Two things. The coach does not have a listening nature and I am extremely stressed with too much to deal with right now. I do not need to interact further with this personality. I do not need the pressure. I do not need to right the world. I can trust that it will come about as God wants it to come about. My part is done. I said no.

When I say my part, I mean that literally. I believe that while I could have done it in a better way had I thought more carefully, I was still meant to bring this problem to the forefront. God created me that way. While many, many people will be in a situation and say nothing, there is a percentage that will speak up and deal with whatever it is that needs to be dealt with. I'm in that percentage. Sometimes I wish I wasn't. It's a difficult and painful percentage to be in because we are often seen as trouble makers HOWEVER... it's "trouble makers" that bring injustice to the forefront and instigate change. We need them. I've had to come to a place of peace with this part of my nature and learn how to work with it - when to speak up and when my part is done.

I recognize and empathize with the coach not only because I've lived with that personality type but because I've been that personality type and worked extraordinarily hard to change. You often hear sayings like "a leopard can't change its spots" implying that the way we are is the way we will always be. It's not true. Each personality trait has a flip side. The flip side of judgemental is teaching and encouragement.

When we truly want to, we can change. I used to be an extremely negative, angry, demanding person. I'm not any more. What I fight for hasn't changed. How I fight for it has. Right now, I doubt that anyone would use those words to describe me although - LOL - apparently, in times of stress, I still slip. I was definitely more judgemental than teaching and encouraging when I made that comment.

4 comments:

  1. M - The exhibit is wonderful; it is so exciting to see how everything worked out! Megs' work compliments yours so well. You are two very talented artists.

    Wonderful resolution to the coach situation -- Just bringing the situation to the light and having the athletic director take it from there is such a huge accomplishment. We have all been in situations where stress (or our spots!) have caused us to not handle the situation in the best possible way. That doesn't mean the issue is less of an issue.

    Yes, “Troublemakers” are a necessary part of life…however, we are not often appreciated and people don’t know how to respond to a differing of opinion. (we often hear about open dialogue, agree to disagree, etc.) but when confronted with it…the person doesn’t want disagreement – they want you to jump in behind them like you were in some conga dance line. I like knowing that I’m different; knowing that we approach situations from different views; and the energy and excitement from seeing and hearing those differences. How else do we grow, function, survive if we are all the same?? God got it right. We are all different because we need to be different.

    Okay, I've gone on too long. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear of your resolution to the problem with the coach -- when you speak of this situation I can see myself in it as I have experiences similar events -- and I too have learned that my job is to introduce the conflict or problem or question and then let it go to be resolved by others who just seemed to be waiting for someone else to step forward -- so often, I am the trouble maker but rarely do I finish or take part in the resolution of the conflict... I know I started it and that seems to give courage to the others "suffering' through it to finally have their say...
    And I have really grown to love the teaching part -- I tell stories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trouble maker? Who says that a person the brings out an ugly subject that needs discussion and resolution is a trouble maker? I like to think of it as the initiative to bring something forward for others to discuss / fight / conclude and make correct.

    Yes I have been labeled a trouble maker. I belong to a group of women who work in the insurance industry. Last year I was the trouble maker. This year I received a complement for the effort that created a possibility for the group to grow and prosper.

    Would I do it again? Yes. I would try to pick my words more carefully so as to not ruffle as many feathers, but still to bring the invisible elephant into the discussion so that we can get it out of the livingroom. VBG

    I too agree that the exhibit that you and Megs put together is wonderful. What an amazing collection of such a diverse product that works so well together. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very cool to see your name up on the wall!! Your work is lovely.

    ReplyDelete