_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 29 November 2011

About The Classics

I cleaned and we grocery shopped and I knit...




... two sleeves. They're blocking. The body took almost two days to dry so I imagine these will be ready to sew in some time tomorrow or possibly tonight for knit night which would be great as I'm really busy tomorrow and tonight I could get advice on the how-to from the other women.

The grocery shopping was for my son. He had the opportunity to rent a room from the youth pastor of our previous church and wants to try living on his own so he's moving out Wednesday night. I'm not sure he's ready but he thinks he is and it will definitely be a good learning curve. If you're going to do parenting well, that means saying what needs to be said which means being the "bad guy" and NOT their friend. After twenty-five years in that role, I'm just being honest when I say I'm looking forward to the break. He has six months to move back so we'll see what happens.




After the sleeves were done, I cast on the free Garter Ridge Baby Cardigan from Lion Brand using a pink recycled yarn that has reappeared twice in my stash. Hopefully this time it stays knit up. The pattern is a bit similar to the Baby Surprise Jacket in that you knit the fronts and back at the same time starting at the hem and splitting at the armholes. The shoulders seams are then sewn and the sleeves set in. That's new. I prefer the flat constructions method typically used in knitting because I already know about it's advantages from sewing HOWEVER... I'm trying new things and this is a new thing.

One of the blogs that I read - and I can't remember which one right now - quoted the advice in an older book on wardrobe building that said that as they age women should not wear the classics because they'll appear older. I've thought about that statement a lot over the last few days. It's been true of some garments that I used to wear all the time and then put on and suddenly they look frumpy. It's also true of some older women I've observed. They look frozen in time. I'm not sure that it's just aging that does it though as this "it doesn't work for me any more" feeling happens periodically in all our wardrobes but it has enough validity in my life to have me thinking about the classics and accessories and hair styles and fabric combinations and colors and other aspects that would take away from the strictness of the lines and add punch to them. What do you think?

ONLY... I don't feel like sewing right now. This week's schedule was already busy without Kyle's move and now it's super busy. Next week is looking like pure bliss. No appointments so far. That sounds like great sewing time.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - knitting to fill the sewing gap

3 comments:

  1. Funny you should bring up about classic clothes.

    As I was getting out my winter wardrobe, suddenly this year it seemed that EVERYTHING I owned was wrong...wrong style, wrong color, too old....made me feel frumpy. I was feeling like "I hate my clothes!" What happend????!!!!

    After some pondering...a lot of my stuff IS old (but classic). And, over time, the "in" colors have changed.

    I decided that while classic still works for me, it needs to be updated. I realized that classic changes over time...the lapel size is different, the jacket length is different, the sleeve widths, pants shape have changed.

    So...off to do some altering. And updating of accessories. Newer colors in my shoes/purses.

    I was thinking that it was just me; that I hadn't kept up with the times I guess.

    And then, here you are. Saying the very same thing.

    Partly an age thing I think, but also that classic is more for younger women. Classic at my age makes me look dumpy, like I don't have a clue as to what the current styles are. I discovered that I look so much better in things that are more fashionable (without being faddy).

    I realized that I need to add more color so I look vibrant, instead of half-dead. Never mind that lots of days I feel half-dead. We don't need to announce that to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't agree with that statement at all. The classics are classics because they continue to flatter but they do to be fitted to our bodies and they do need updating. I do wonder what the author was really thinking of when they made that statement and what they expected us older gals to wear instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne (dagmar.eu@gmail.com)29 November 2011 at 12:12

    I think that classics can fit women of all age groups. It is a question of fitting and colour. As we grow older our body needs a different kind of fitting because our body is no longer the sameas it was when we were 30 (or maybe I should speak for myself only ;-D) and colours that we could wear at that age will no longer go with the colour of the skin we are now "wearing". Classic cuts well fitted in a quiet colour with the right accessorise will always look good whatever age you are in my opinion. Oh can I just add that by classic cut I do not mean jeans and fitted does not mean tight showing every bulk that has been added over the years. Good luck to Kyle in his new home.

    ReplyDelete