_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 24 November 2011

Consolation Prize

It was wet, windy, and miserable when I left Kelowna and sunny, dry, and cheerful when I arrived back in Kamloops, which seemed about the right direction for an expensive, waste of time, day to be going until I stepped through the door. And then things weren't pretty. I sometimes wonder if the mistake is going away or if it's coming back - LOL - and how long it would take this house to sink into utter chaos if I wasn't here. Less than a week is my guess considering...




Kelowna has two yarn shops. The other one is right off the main road and  easily accessible when heading out of town. It's a much smaller, more practical, less pretty yarn store that is well organized with lots of yummy yarns. I decided a consolation prize was in order and chose the Carro Magic above because it's self stripping and makes rows of color and dots. VERY fun. It's acrylic and the teal yarn below is alpaca. I bought enough of each for a baby size sweater.




I knit the left side of the grey sweater I'm working on in my hotel room and the right side - complete with nicely spaced button holes - last night in my curl-up chair. In this size, it's a quick knit which is allowing me to try out my ideas/perfect my skills faster. LOL - of course I should have done that four years ago but I started with the equivalent of a king size quilt as so many of us do.

The self striping yarn will be a pull over with a v-neck and the teal yarn a cardigan with a non-ribbed hem, lace inserts, and buttons. I've never knit a v-neck before and I dislike button bands that don't sit nicely so I'm trying different options... including blocking this "real" wool. Perhaps blocking is the answer but it does seem a temporary one in a downpour... or the laundry.

It is lovely to be sitting in my cheerfully colored studio, at my ergonomic keyboard, easily typing as opposed to in the white and chrome decor of the hotel room using a laptop with a small keyboard and intermittent Internet service. I plan to spend most of the day in the studio. I want to sew the red handles on the Sandi bag, take a "family photo" of all nine hand bags, and price out how much a little booklet would cost to put together.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- being home

No comments:

Post a Comment