_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 23 November 2011

My Brain Doesn't Work Like That

Getting up early is not an issue for me. I'm typically up at six and a sleep-in might stretch that out to eight only here - in the hotel with people heading off for early morning flights - sleeping in till six is a luxury. I can't believe the amount of traffic on the road already and the slamming, banging, and water running sounds all over the place. I can see the Starbucks - it's right across the street - so I'll finish writing, go get coffee, and then come back to read blogs.  It is - I hope - early enough to sneak in and out without make-up.




Aren't these gorgeous buttons? They're polymer clay made by a company whose name I'm suddenly seeing all over the place. It appears they sell to yarn stores. Unfortunately, there were only packages of four and only one package of each although I imagine if I call the company I could figure out how to get more... if I needed them... first I should have a garment for them to go on.




The bargain center at the Salmon Arm Fabricland rarely disappoints me although I've seen the stock there quite often this year. There was 1.8 meters of this heavier knit for $5.00 complete with a run down one side that I'll need to cut around. Seeing that my t-shirt pattern has a seam down the back, it should be doable.




The Vernon Fabricland almost never has anything good in their bargain section. They barely have one; it's so tiny. The flannel was 50% off and this blue stripe is so perfect for my oldest son that I picked up enough for pajama pants for him. If not now, he'll want them at some point.

Both the Salmon Arm and the Vernon Fabriclands were wonderfully neat and clean with room to move around and friendly staff. They are franchises. The Kelowna store is a mess with almost no room to move and even though it's a huge store and there were two staff persons plus the cashier right near the door when I walked in - and several others while I walked around for 30 minutes - no one greeted me or asked if I needed help. That's just ridiculous and par for the course in the company owned stores. I tried to be different when I was working in the Kamloops store. IMHO - the staff could use some retail and sales training only I doubt that's going to happen.

My friend in Salmon Arm couldn't go for coffee after all so I dropped off Wendy's quilt, visited the fabric and yarn stores, and went on to the Vernon Fabricland. The roads were wet and windy. The weather has warmed up substantially and now you need copious amounts of windshield wiper fluid while hoping all that water on the road doesn't freeze before you get back home - today - after my appointment.

I went for lunch in Vernon with my friend Lorraine and then we went to the theater to see the set for Alice In Wonderland that her husband built and was directing the set up of while organizing lighting. AMAZING. Lorraine and I are both creative but Dave makes us look like we don't have a clue. My brain doesn't work like that. It's going to be a fabulous production. It reminded me of something another friend said after she quit teaching quilting and got her real estate license - there's a whole world out there that's interesting and doesn't involve fabric. LOL... really... how can that be?




Once I was checked into my hotel, I drove over to the yarn store next to the thrift shop that I love. It's about a twenty minute drive. I was in, bought the mystery gift from Howard and the dress below, and back at my hotel room an hour later. Wow! Efficient and there was just what I wanted. The dress...




 ... is Byanca Nygaard - inexpensively - in a size I doubted would go around my hips although I knew it would fit my upper body. Good thing I tried it on. The fabric is a heavy knit so it stretched to fit my hips nicely without hugging every bump and lump. Unfortunately, the lining is woven and not so forgiving so I need to adapt it slightly after I've tried the dress on with a body slimmer. The hem should be about an inch shorter and other than that, it's perfect, and the first dress I tried on, and all the women in the store said you have to buy that dress - customers and all. Too fun. 

Now - COFFEE. Talk soon - Myrna


Grateful
- finding the perfect dress easily and inexpensively

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how when you're trying on the perfect item in the dressing room mirror, that the other customers will start saying things, when normally they avert their eyes and say nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding a dress like that is just serendipitous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck for your appointment. I hope it goes well

    ReplyDelete