_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Pillow Cases

When Howard retires and we're both home together, there will need to be rules. There are very few people that I can work with in my studio and he is not one of them. He's not the silent type. He's the ask a gazillion questions type and that doesn't work for me. Maybe if we rotate. He can go out in the morning while I work and I'll go out in the afternoon while he works. LOL - we'll see. Actually, I'm not sure he'll ever retire. He enjoys his job way too much although he also enjoys...

... working with computers. It's nice to have your very own car and computer mechanic. Yesterday, he fixed the external back-up on my computer and defragmented the disk and eliminated some viruses and did a few other maintenance type things that are total Greek to me... but so appreciated... only that meant he sat at my desk... in my studio... while I was in my studio wanting to work... which didn't work so instead of starting on the next handbag, I made some...




... pillow cases for our bed. I've been looking for pretty, patterned, interesting, not boring, sheets for our bed and - if they exist - I can't find them. The situation is not critical yet, our sheets are hanging in there, but the pillow cases were done for. Especially Howard's. He's mostly bald with an oily scalp and that's not a good combo for pillows.




This black and lime batik is one of my favourites. To start, I cut two pieces 40" x 35" and serged across one of the 35" edges. Then I pressed down 4 1/2" and then pressed under the serged edge. Opening that back up, I folded the fabric in half lengthwise and serged along the bottom and up the side before refolding the edge and top stitching it in place to form the opening of the pillow case. For variety, I could have used an alternate fabric. Not this time. I kept it simple because not only was Howard in my studio, I still had (have) a headache. Simple and doable was the main criteria.




The pillow cases don't really go with the quilt on our bed however, there are two large pillow shams and some throw cushions in front, for now. The quilt is about fifteen years old. It's pretty and I'm ready for something new and totally different. When we move, I want our room to be more colorful and luscious and not at all country or traditional. When I told Howard, he laughed and asked me if I had noticed the paint color at the strata unit we'd viewed. It was a pinky-beige - a color he used to find "normal" and now said was incredibly "boring". Too fun. That's what happens when you live with me - COLOR.

The strata unit was only okay. It's on our list, at the bottom. It needs a total overhaul which is something I was trying to avoid this time around but wouldn't be a problem if the unit was perfect otherwise. The great thing about total overhauls is that you end up with the home you really want so it works. The problem with this unit is that it's a bit small and that's something you can't change. If we have the option, we'd prefer more space.

Before we went, I prayed that Howard and I would be in agreement. It's easy for me to get caught up in what I want and steamroll over his opinions. I didn't want to do that. We went for breakfast before and he brought up a concern I thought was totally valid and afterward, when I mentioned the size, he agreed with me. We are more inside than outside people. I have my studio and he has both the garage and an office. As we age, and especially when (if) we retire, those spaces are going to be really important. We don't want to skimp on them... or the guest room... or the downstairs family room for our potential grandchildren. It's all important. Well... maybe we don't need the kitchen - VBG.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- being in agreement

4 comments:

  1. HA! Don't need the kitchen! I wonder what Howard thinks about that.

    Your pillow cases look great - an easy project that you'll use every day (night).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful what you think about being retired together. My husband I have been retired together since 2002. I have a sewing studio on one side of the house and he has an office on the other. We meet in the kitchen for coffee,meals, and discussions. He is my best sewing buddy. He is great at measurements and providing a fresh eye. Being an engineer he sees thing in plus or minus fractions. He is great help with pattern drafting.
    Gina in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "don't need the kitchen" line just made me smile...
    In my head, my new house is filled with pretty and bright color, although right now it is the closest compromise I could find to pinky-beige that I could live with, elephant gray. I can't pick color until I live in a space, and this will tide me over until I get used to the way light feels in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...maybe we don't need the kitchen"

    Too funny.

    One time my brother was one of a number of vendors trying to get a job from a woman vp.

    The other vendors (all males) were trying to impress her with how domestic they were...how they cook supper, do laundry, etc.

    My brother says, "Kitchen? I'm pretty sure we have one of those."

    Got him a good laugh, and the job.

    ReplyDelete