_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 2 November 2011

S. A. H. W.

The price of a flu shot for two boys - I guess I should start calling them young men - is $10.19. Not for the shot. That's the cost of two, double whipped, covered in caramel, with a shot of espresso poured over top, decadent drinks which apparently is what I "owed" them for forcing them to have the flu shot which I viewed as being a good mother and protecting them as much as possible. Too funny. Apparently, $10.19 is the cost of spending time with your kids... which I love to do. We did that yesterday morning. Today...

... there are people coming to view the house so I'll be cleaning... again. Luckily, they are coming in the afternoon. You'd think that it'd be more of a touch up than a total overhaul at this point but there's no way to touch up except maybe by wiping down the counters. Cleaning the bath tub is cleaning the bath tub and vacuuming is vacuuming. And surprisingly, dust can accumulate in a day. Thankfully, it doesn't take all that long. I'll do it right after I finish blogging, take Kyle to work, and go journal at Starbucks and then I can get back in the studio.

Yesterday, as I was driving home, I noticed a woman walk dancing along the sidewalk. She was wearing a cheerfully bright pink coat and bopping and singing along to the music in her ears, whatever device that may have been. I noticed how happy she looked before I realized I knew her. She's a woman I used to go to high school with who moved out of Kamloops and then back a few years ago. I talked to her shortly after she moved back and she was quite apologetic that she was only a housewife. To me - who at the time was dealing with the end of my career - it seemed an enviable position to be in and yet I totally understand how she was feeling. We live in a working world. What you do is far too important as opposed to who you are.

As I drove past, it occurred to me that I am currently a SAHW - a stay at home wife. I've been a working wife, a stay at home mother with an infant, a working mother, and a working from home mother but I've never been a stay at home wife, cheerfully unemployed and living off the love of her husband. That's something to enjoy although...

... I won't be telling anyone that at a party. When my daughter was a few months old, Howard and I had gone to a party at a friend's house and I was introduced to a man I'd not met before. He was a doctor. When he asked me what I did, I replied that I'd just had a baby and was at home at the moment and before I could elaborate any further he - literally - turned around and walked away. That is still to this day the rudest reaction I've ever had to an introduction. While I'm happy using the term kept women (because it sparks conversation) some people really over react to that so I think I'll tell people I'm retired or on a sabbatical or am an artist. That's more likely to lead to interesting debate.




In the image above, you can see where I've zigzag stitched an additional length of batting in place as well as extended the black strip on the side. When my decisions for the bag altered the size, more length was needed and so I found a way. How can I and what if are two of the greatest questions I've learned in my creativity. There is almost always a way to move forward instead of thinking that the piece is "ruined" or that a teeny tiny seam that would need to be pointed out with a magnifying glass is somehow a ruin as opposed to a solution. 




In my stash, I had a fat quarter of this whimsical fabric. I used it on one portion of the inside of the bag. Another portion is a black and cream plaid and a third portion is a very small, soft grey, check. This was another learning curve. Everything does not have to match exactly and in fact - it's more interesting when you mix things up. That's a curve that has transferred to my fashion sewing although I'd like to more strongly transfer it.




The point of this picture is to show me using up another piece of the quilt top being recycled. There's not much left. I'm hopeful that when I finish the final bag, it will actually be gone. It was a great idea to use that "useless" quilt instead of pulling out new batting although quilting over the joints does make for some moments. It's not smooth but it's doable. Hmm... how like life.




A friend asked me the other day if I would consider teaching basic quiltmaking classes. My first reaction was no although I've given it some thought. Yesterday, I cut and pieced strips into a traditional Streak of Lightening pattern for one section of the bag. It was tough slugging. My hands knew the rhythm but it's been at least six or seven years since I made a traditional piece and I did not enjoy it. There was no rush of nostalgia. Instead, it felt very stagnant, boring, and repetitive. I often make decisions by what I know for sure I do NOT want to do. I do not want to teach basic quiltmaking again. I am past that phase of my life. This is good to know because a teacher who doesn't want to be there is not an effective teacher.

badmomgoodmom wrote: Have you ever read "What color is your parachute?" I am not a touchy feeling type of person, but I read it as I was finishing up my PhD thesis and was in a job-finding panic. Theoretical physics is a really, really bad career choice, unless you want to go to Wall Street and live hand to mouth on one soft money (temporary, low paid) position after another. There isn't much in between. With the book, I was able to inventory my skills and interests and land two paid internships (that could lead to permanent employment). I accepted one and am still there today. Artists and scientists are very similar. We solve difficult problems everyday. Not everyone can do that. I enjoy reading about your journey.

I've read a lot of books along those lines but not that particular one. I'll give it a try. Getting a job is on the back burner right now. I've applied for several positions at the university and it appears there is a silent hiring freeze on. If so, I imagine it'll end in the new year and I'd be interested in looking at a position there at that time. I'm not looking for any other part time position because when I think about it, time and money are both important to me but time is more important. I know I'm being picky but I'm not willing to work nights and weekends and holidays and at this point, I can be picky. I have that loving man to take care of me so I'm going to enjoy working in the studio and see where that leads me. One thing I know for sure is that at some point - either now or next spring - we are going to sell our house and that will shift many things and open up other options. If I haven't been hired at the university by then, my creativity will definitely have advanced, and I'll look at what those options offer. BUT... I'll read the book now. I love that kind of information. It's so helpful to all areas of life.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - as much as I don't want to clean I do have my house for sale and I'm glad that viewers are coming to look. Now is a great time to move in my life - I have time - so I'm praying for a sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment