_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 1 January 2021

What Does The Next Year (2021) Hold?

After attending the 2012 Design Outside the Lines retreat, I was able to take one-on-one coaching with one of the instructors, Diane Ericson. One of my earlier assignments was to make a collage of the woman I am becoming. Having used collage making in several ways in my own businesses, I was more than willing to take on the assignment and have since started making yearly collages based on the question what does the next year (2021) hold 

For me, the collage sets an intention going into the new year. Before I begin, I pray for God's direction in choosing and placing the images so that I will begin to see how his path will unfold over the next year. I am aware that I may not understand why a particular image wants to be on the collage or why a different one refuses to be there. I trust that it is part of his leading and that, over the year, the message will become clear. 

After praying, I begin by choosing the paper size which varies depending on where I want to hang the finished collage. This year, I used a full sheet of poster board since I have a larger space in my new studio. After that, I choose five or six magazines and flip through them quickly tearing out anything that catches my eye, much like brainstorming. I don't question why this particular image is catching my eye. I just rip it out and put it on the pile. 

After that, I go through the images one-by-one and cut out only the details that appeal to me and eliminate what doesn't. I feel it's important to be quite particular at this point as I don't want any detail that is not part of my authentic path to confuse me in some way. 



If there are images or sayings I feel need to be in the collage that I didn't find in the magazines, I will go looking for them or print them off my computer. Although I've had this quote in a file for years, this year it needed to be included. I want to move in familiar directions with new energy. To do that, I need to have a different attitude and altered expectations. 

Once I have a pile of images, I begin arranging them on the poster board. Ideally, I have too many and some that attracted me will be eliminated through the editing process. I'm always surprised by the images that firmly refuse to be part of the collage. If I am paying attention, these are the directions that could distract me from what is important. 





Something that surprised me this year was that almost all the images and phrases make sense, as if I know their meaning and need only to follow their message. I may be surprised by some twist or turn in the future and yet, it seems more important this year to lean into the identifiable path than to overthink it in any way. It is as if I know what to do and now I need to do it.

For the past several years, my consistent prayer has been gratefulness that I am warm, dry, safe, fed, clothed and loved, that I have a studio, stash, and skills to develop, that I have a passion and a purpose, and that I am open to receive ever increasing holistic health, joy, and abundant blessing. I am grateful for the answers God has given including moving to this new home. After many many years of stress and difficulty, I am anticipating a vastly different year even with the current pandemic. In fact, as horrible as it is, needing to lockdown offers me the opportunity to focus and engage and to do the work in front of me. That is a silver lining.

I will explain a bit of what I see in the collage in case you are interested or even want to make a collage of your own. Of course, this is my impression of what the images represent in my life. They are not about anyone else. If you see something different, please feel free to share. Perhaps you have a message for me. 




The colourful muscular image, which is in my colour tones, speaks to my deep need to be authentic, not a pretend version of myself but who I truly am in my clothing, my décor, and how I make my way through life. I'm not a paint-by-number kind of person. I am interested in one-of-a-kind, one-at-a-time creativity. Trends show up only if they accidentally overlap my style. 

Life has been exhausting the past few years and I've gotten less and less inclined to do my hair and make-up even though the whole look is part of what I enjoy about sewing creative clothing. Sometimes I forget and glance in the mirror and am stunned by what I look like - in a not good way - and it makes me sad. Without make-up, I am not being me. The image of the woman and make-up brushes is a reminder to take the time to look my best for myself. 

The wicker chairs and the don't overdo it and go with the flow phrases are about balance between work and play. I can be an all or nothing person and when I'm working on a goal other aspects of life can get pushed to the background. I find having a routine helpful and I need to maintain it and not push it aside when something demanding or interesting or both comes along. The past five summers have been filled with yardwork and each year it totally threw me out of balance and I would determine to choose differently the next year only to repeat the process. This year, I've moved and there is no yard to consume me and I can make wiser decisions. 

In my studio and deep magic speak to the adventure of following up curious questions and exploring the potential of what if in my own way, in my own space. Some of the things I really missed last year were road trips, workshops, and snoop shopping for inspiration. I think the deep magic of what we create in the studio is one part showing up to do the work and sticking with the unfolding piece and another part filling the inspirational well with artist dates... which may be difficult and different again this year but definitely need to happen. 





One aspect of ever increasing holistic health that I am really struggling with is physical especially in terms of diet and fitness. I don't particularly like cooking and living alone makes that even more difficult. The carrots and live deliciously are about simple wholesome cooking that I could benefit from learning how, in some way, to enjoy as I own my own health

I will be working with a counsellor this year, getting together every two weeks to talk about what I've been working on, any struggles, and where to go next. It's an accountability structure that I am really looking forward to and reminiscent of the work I did with Diane. The picture of the two women represents that relationship. Claiming my space speaks to the fact that for the first time in my adult life I am living in a home that is 100% mine and one that I can inhabit every corner of. I don't want to live small in that space but rather to let it enlarge my life.  

The typewriter with the words follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before talks both about getting back to writing a blog and developing my website and to moving forward on some business goals. The phrase the first step to crafting a life you want is to get rid of everything you don't is a reminder to say no to what doesn't work. 



Where I live, there are lots of places to hike and ride my bike. The first year I lived here, I took advantage of them and then not so much. I am looking forward to shifting that back. I will only have a postage stamp, flower box, sized yard. The hands holding a coffee mug and the woman sitting in the window holding coffee both reference my daily routine which starts early with a half hour of contemplative coffee. I find that calm, quiet start to the day nurturing.

Make your home your own, the only one, and find yourself at home speak to the adventure of living alone and to finding out more about my authentic self and individual style. Forever home is about not wanting to move again. I have moved many times and each move has been positive in measurable ways especially earning income through real estate. This time, I want to stay until I go to the old, old, old people house which I'd prefer to not even go to. I want to stay and find out who I am when I'm not flipping a house and have time to focus my attention differently. 

The three women look comfortable in their own skins and happy. I am happy. I am comfortable. I love who I am and am ready to love myself more. One way I want to do that is by being focused and engaged in my studio. I plan to sew clothes that I will wear and that are truly me and to sew clothes that I won't wear but will really enjoy making and to have a LOT of fun. 

The tiny red phrase reads in a small house, life just feels simpler. There's less stuff to think about and worry about, and when your stuff doesn't own you, you can focus on other things you want to do. There is only room for me and the occasional visitor in this house. I have what I need and nothing more. That's exciting. There is nothing extra to take care of but rather the ability to explore the potential of all that I have both in and out of my new home. I am grateful. 






One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things speaks to doing again some things that I have done before like writing and blogging and designing and teaching. It's about coming at them with a new attitude. There is no guarantee that the hoped for outcome will ever happen so it is important that I make choices that create joy in the present by choosing the path of my best life that God is unfolding before me. 

The pandemic came just as I had reached the five year mark of living in this community which is the typical time frame for making friends. Locking down will have set those relationships back and I have no choice but to be okay with that even as I welcome friends and creative connections. 

The woman dipping her toe into the water and the phrases open and getting down to business are about me putting the necessary parts in place as I move toward teaching retreats again. It's been over ten years and I both want to teach again and wonder if it will happen. I'm scared. What if I build it and no one comes? I have to push past the fear because I know for sure that if I don't do the work, it won't happen. I am going to do the work. 

When I attended the first Design Outside the Lines retreat in 2012, I saw a new teaching model that I very much admired. In the workshops, the instructors taught everything they knew and what they had learned since the last retreat. The students brought their own work and goals and were guided by the input of the instructors as well as the lectures and demos.

As an instructor, it meant not teaching ten years into the future something I developed five years ago while my own work stagnated and as a student, it meant developing my authenticity and personal creative style with guidance from the instructors and input from the other students. The model resonated not only because I felt like I had finally found my tribe but because it was also a teaching model I could fully embrace and one that worked with my purpose to support and encourage others to their best through creativity, particularly women who are overworked and underplayed. 

I wanted to start this blog in November when my house sold and I started writing down topics and keeping photos then but only began back posting in January. The goal I am currently working on with my counsellor is to get the blog caught up to date. Today, I'm sitting in the chair in my living room writing on my laptop while the workmen hammer and saw around me. By the time they are finished, hopefully soon, I will be moving on to the next short term goal that I'll tell you about then. 

Have you made a collage? Does it sound interesting? What are your intentions for 2021?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - choices

2 comments: