_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 10 September 2009

Add A Size

Millicent didn't look nearly as wonderful dialed up to my size as she did all tight and firm out of the box. How like life! As I told Caroline, that's certainly an incentive to exercise. Her lack was partly due to her shrunken chest. What she had didn't balance her hips which, as we all know, are really my hips BUT... my cup size is larger. When I bought her bra, I also picked up some Add A Size Bra Pads - a full B to C cup transformation.




Millicent is also perkier than me. I had to lower the bust point but only by half an inch. That's not too bad. I pinned the pads in place and then pulled the bra up and over centering it front and back. Then I measured the full circumference which was now bigger than mine so I measured my front half and my back half and then narrowed the sides so that the total worked out to the right measurements. That mirrors my body - broader across the back.




Kyle walked in when I had her dressed to this stage - a lot of blushing - apparently she needs a t-shirt quick - LOL! Now - of course - I'm wondering does this look like me? I've asked the boys. Kyle says no, I'm not blue and Aryck says, sort of. AND... if she does look like me, what do I think of that? I will try that white blouse that I sewed last year on her next and compare the photos.




After I took this picture, I narrowed the front hips and widened the back because 20 1/2" of me are to the front and 22 1/2" to the back except that my form doesn't widen that much at the back because its maximum is 43" so I'm going to have to add some padding there too. LOL - maybe Millicent will get some padded panties next.

I stopped to buy her bra after I'd been to Fabricland to pick up 4 way stretch fabric for the form fitting dress and a light denim colored cotton/poly for the sloper. Gosh this girl is costing me a fortune already. My first week as a kept woman has been an expensive one. I've assured Howard that it'll be toned down as I get in the flow of sewing all that fabric I already have. He thought that was a good idea or I just might need to get a job. SUCH a difference from our early married years when neither of us knew anything about money.

Simplicity patterns were on sale. Darn. It's not like I don't already have an extensive collection but these were ONLY $1.99. I looked. I bought. While I was looking, another woman was too. We ended up chatting for quite a while and it turns out we have similar tastes and - it sounds like - a similar skill level. She lives in a smaller community just outside of Kamloops. I'm hoping we can get together again some time and talk sewing and fashions and knitting. I showed off my sweater as I was picking buttons because she also knits. When I said I was shopping for Millicent, she told me all about how she uses her dress form. FUN FUN.

Here are the patterns I bought...




The turquoise jumper on the right hand side is GORGEOUS. I first saw it on another blog and then read the reviews at PatternReview.com and it seems like a good one. It's Simplicity 3673.




It was the lime jacket with the ruffled collar and cuffs that first caught my eye (go figure) but after I looked closer, I really liked the brown one middle bottom. VERY pretty with that offset collar and diagonal opening.




This skirt is just so typical of me that it's almost boring and I'm sure I have twenty patterns just like it in my stash but for $1.99, a collector collects.



I was debating the advantages of this pattern versus another with the woman I'd just met and she had both and recommended this one because of the complete wardrobe aspect. I like the full pants, the princess seams of the dress, and that bolero over a t-shirt. All VERY cute.

I'm not sure boleros are in style this year but I know I had one a few years ago and it looked fabulous on me. What's in is sort of important to me and then again, not really. What's more important to me is styles that suit my body type. For example, I doubt I'll be wearing skinny jeans even though they are in style.

I'm pretty sure quite a few of the fashions that I intend to sew aren't in this year. OH WELL - I am going to wear them, hopefully with "a twist" that does make them work. That is one of the points of sewing. I did buy a belt last week for the first time in twenty-five years. Haven't worn it yet though - VBG. I need to sew a longer, full blouse to go with it... and that is in this year.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a great conversation with a kindred spirit

2 comments:

  1. Hi Myrna
    I love those patterns, especially the dress (3673). I recently bought a similar simplicity pattern 2848 which I plan to make up soon. I actually bought a lovely woven fabric which is somewhere between turquoise and grey. (Because I didn't want to make it black or navy) I don't worry about being "in fashion" anymore, as long as it fits well and I'm comfortable and I like it!! LOL There seem to be a lot more garments with little surprise touches like embroidery, odd buttons etc, and I like those a lot. Enjoy your sewing!
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete