_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 16 September 2009

Connected To...

The socks are stalled. I took them along to Arts & Crafts Club to get help from one of the other women only she wasn't there this week. Doing math in a crowd, while trying to figure out how to reverse a set of instructions, is not my strong suit, so I put them aside and started on a little red sweater.

I tested gauge and then figured out how to scale the pattern up from a size two to a size four. For various reasons - like too tight of a ribbing or a bad join not too far into the yarn - I'd knit and then unravel and then re-knit. I should also have re-checked my gauge. The width of the back was supposed to be 14" and when I measured my piece last night, it was 19".

After knitting all day all I had to show for it was a ball of yarn. This is certainly one way to economize - LOL. At least I now know how to start again and carry on so I can - hopefully - have more to show next week. The research and development part is done.




What is the point is a question that comes up for me all the time. I don't want that to happen with fashion sewing right now and result in me being discouraged in any way. I have decided to define the point in advance. I learned this concept in Eric Maisel's book Van Gogh Blues and have been using it ever since.

Instead of asking what is the point (meaning) of my fashion sewing and hoping for an answer that works, I'm stating what my point is in advance and then working around that meaning. For me, fashion sewing is about entertainment and creative expression. The garment becomes a form on which I can express myself and develop my technical abilities. It's all about the process of making it and of having fun. Something to wear is a bonus just as in my textile work masterpieces are a bonus.

That being the case, I plan to keep any garments that fit and flatter and move along those that do not if I can't recycle the fabric in some way. There's a new consignment store where I might be able to sell the ones I don't keep. I'll check into that next time I'm downtown.

As well, I don't want to get too caught up in plans but I do want the garments that I sew to work together otherwise I'll still have nothing to wear. My "plan" is that each garment will connect to the next one in some way. For example, right now I'm working on a jacket. Next, I will make a t-shirt or top that will work well under the jacket and then a pair of pants or a skirt that will go with the jacket and the top.

From there, I might make a second top connecting the flow of garments to each other. Unless what I am making is a stand alone garment like a dress or a completely different genre like athletic wear (in which case I might connect a few garments) I think this plan is enough of a boundary to give direction without being a prison. It works in theory. I'll see how it goes in real life. LOVE the way it uses my word for the year - connect.

For the past few months, I have been focusing on enjoying spending time with myself more - in a positive and self-caring way as opposed to a selfish way. I am exploring the things I want to explore and doing the things I want to do and if someone else wants to get involved that's fine but if they don't, I'm doing it anyway.

For example, I bought a dress form and so did two of my friends. If they hadn't thought that dress forms were a good idea, I would have bought mine anyway. In April, I'm taking a workshop and I've invited two friends to come with me. Whether or not they come, I'm already signed up and going just as I'm going to the bra making workshop on my own.

This isn't a completely new attitude. It's one with a shift that would be subtle to most people and yet has made a tremendous difference to how I'm approaching life. I believe it is a step toward achieving my goal of wanting to live in peace within relationships. YES YES!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - an uninterrupted day to sew in the studio

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been reading blogs for a long time now; too busy sewing and family things, but caught up on you today. I love your grey jacket! Your idea of using the pink silk as bias strips for the Hong-Kong seams is great. It's such an eye-opener when you sling the jacket over a chair. AND I had a laugh reading about your "getting to know" Millicent. Emily, Millicent and Gertrude could have a blog of their own, what a hoot. DH has been trying to convince me for years, first 20 years ago and now after I took up clothes making again that I ought to get a dress form. Seeing yours and how you're getting it to become a true doublegänger has made me think again. I especially like the fact that you have got one that can be used for fitting trousers.
    I am a bit surprised by you referring to yourself as a "kept" woman. Why do you use that expression?
    I've been at home looking after our children and our household with all that entails for the past 24 years and have never ever thought of myself as a kept woman.
    But staying at home is a choice - still - in my opinion. It's merely a question of whether or not you are willing to give up the extra material things a second income brings with it and able to go down a road where you are you and not your job title.
    Looking forward to seeing your jacket finished; will check in again soon. Good to hear you're slowly picking up again.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete