_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 22 September 2009

Matchy Matchy

Somehow, I twisted my lower back yesterday, which was rather painful, meaning that I didn't do a whole lot of anything. Not that I know how I did it - except perhaps by sitting not quite square at the computer - exactly as I am not sitting square right now - which means I had better straighten up because it hurt most of the day and into the night and is still a slight ache.

This morning, I was looking forward to a bit of a soak in the tub before heading to Arts & Crafts Club only Howard forgot his cell phone and it's ringing off the "hook". It's his work phone so he would appreciate me driving it out to the shop this morning. It's a half hour drive one way. Instead of a leisurely morning, I'm feeling a bit rushed to get ready and deliver it before going to knitting. Oh well. At least, I can do this.

Remember last week when I knit all day, starting with a skein of yarn and ending with a ball of yarn? Not exactly productive. I'm much better prepared this week. I've turned the heel on the socks and am ready to rib the cuff. All I have to do is K1 P1 to the end of the ball and cast off. This should be perfect for knitting in a crowd tonight. This morning, I'll work on the child's sweater. I think - hope - it will be easier now that I've finished the back and am starting the fronts. Perhaps I have the rhythm now.




The socks are made from Big Fable self striping yarn. As you can see, my stripes do not line up. Apparently this is a REALLY BIG DEAL for some people. I imagine at one time it might have been for me too. Right now, my goal is to knit two socks that I can actually wear.

So far, I've figured out a new way of casting on, how to knit a toe, how to knit two socks at once, how to increase for the gusset, how to turn the heel, and how to pick up stitches in a circle when you need to unravel back. That's good and enough. Being matchy matchy wasn't on the agenda although - LOL - I'm sure I'll want to learn that another time especially if I'm making socks as a gift for someone who might be matchy matchy.




This pile of scraps is left over from making the jacket along with some lengths of binding. I'm taking them with me on my holiday in a few weeks and plan to make a winter purse, maybe two. One of the friends that I made a purse for last Christmas would like me to make her some more. We've agreed that if I make a purse, and if I don't want it, and if she likes it, then she can buy it. That's as committed as I want to be right now.




My next project is a skirt. Originally, I'd planned to make this design above by Marcy Tilton. Reading the reviews at PatternReview.com, I've learned it has some issues that won't be a problem later but aren't what I want to deal with right now. I looked through my patterns to see what I had that would go with the fabric. It is striped, lightweight, denim-like and reversible. I like the darker side on the left below.




This tulip style is an oldy but a goody. It looks great on me and the eight gores makes it very easy to fit. I know it would work but I'd like to do something a bit different.




This pencil style is also a favourite. I found it interesting when I looked up this pattern that there were no reviews for the longer length. Every picture/review was of a shorter one. I tend toward longer skirts over shorter ones and typically will pair a shorter jacket like the one I just made with a longer skirt to get the proportions right. I'll probably make this pattern later, maybe in denim. Right now, I wanted a bit more fun but not as much challenge as the issues with the Marcy skirt so...



... I've settled on this Simplicity pattern. The fabric suggestions list denim and pinwale corduroy so it seems quite appropriate for the fabric I've chosen with a bit more fun fitting the contoured waistband and top stitching the seams.




I'm not sure if I'll get that started today or not. I'll be knitting most of the day but I would like to to trace the pattern and increase the seam width. When I took the Palmer/Pletsch course last year, Patti and Marta encouraged sewing with 1" seams for fitting purposes and I've been doing more and more of that in specific areas like side seams and seams with zippers. It works quite well.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the ability to learn

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if I have 9825 in my stash. You keep providing wonderful ideas on sewing our own clothes. I never thought about a 1" seam allowance, but it really makes sense.
    Have a great day, Karen W. in S.W. Ohio
    P.S. Are all the fires out?

    ReplyDelete