_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 28 September 2009

None Of The Above

We moved to this house five years ago this month. That's when I decided that weekends were NOT meant for rushing around like a maniac. Instead, Saturdays were going to be my day of rest - a day to sleep in, move slow, and focus on having fun. Unless we have company or commitments, that exactly what I do. This weekend, I sewed.

After showing all those patterns on Friday, I made none of the above and instead chose Vogue 8323. It's a FABULOUS pattern. The princess seams made it easy to fit and the neckline depth was perfect. There was nothing to fudge or fix other than shortening the sleeve length and adding some hip width, both of which I did in advance of cutting out the pieces. I made View C shown bottom left.




This is my third garment since buying the dress form. I'm starting to learn what I can pin on it and what I need to check on myself. Here's the t-shirt shown front and back on Millicent.





And here it is on me with Millicent along side for comparison. The front is fairly similar, which was surprising. I thought there would be a lot of work needed to get the curve of my stomach but it's really not that big - not even worth the effort. This has been the surprise bonus of buying the dress form - a much more realistic and positive opinion of my body. I was positive before but I am WAY more so now.




The back waist is similar. My behind is flatter and therefore wider. See that wrinkle forming at the waist? That's because of my high hip. The fabric 3" below my waist walks up to the point 1 1/2" below because I widen that much that quickly. It is that far down before there's enough fabric to go around so it has to move up. Usually, I make a high hip adjustment which is very similar to a sway back adjustment. This version was tested without it to see if the alteration was totally necessary with the princess seams. It is. I've adjusted the pattern pieces and will test it on the next version. This pattern has the potential to be a TNT (tried & true) one.




The fabric is a ribbed, wool knit that was a total fluke, good buy. It's presses like a dream. You all know how in love with pressing I am so you can imagine my delight especially because I bought the yardage in the discount bin at Wal-Mart for $1.99 a meter intending to make a muslin with it. This "muslin" is definitely wearable. My $4.00 t-shirt got great compliments in church yesterday. I wore it belted with an ankle length, black knit skirt and my lace-up, Victorian boots. VERY fun.

T-shirts are quick to make. I started this grey one on Friday night and finished it early afternoon on Saturday. Then I cut out and sewed a pair of flannel pyjama pants. And, after that, I cut out another t-shirt in a black jersey using the same pattern with the high hip adjustment. I'm making the same view this time with a cowl neck similar to the version shown on the pattern only drafted slightly different. I'm sewing it on instead of cutting it on. I wanted mine not so wide and more graceful.

Sunday afternoon, Howard helped a friend re-roofing and the boys were busy so I sewed. Go figure. You may start to get bored of this. I - on the other hand - am having a whole lot of fun. I keep calling Howard and thanking him for this opportunity to just relax and have fun with no stress. It's wonderful.

Sunday after church, I worked on the black t-shirt. It's almost finished. This time the side seam is too wide at the hip and the front is rippling. That's the fabric factor. It's always interesting how the same pattern with different fabric can be a totally different project.

In the afternoon, I made a quick trip to Fabricland for more flannel for another two pairs of pajama pants. My old ones are way too big and baggy since I've lost weight. With the pair I made on Saturday, I took the side seams in 2" each or 8" in total and the results were MUCH more flattering. They are black with white flowers. Yesterday, I bought solid black and purple with a black zebra print. I have a little bit more of all three pieces. I'd like to make some kind of house coat that combines them. We'll see.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - on Sunday in church, the little boy who sits in front of us (about 18 months) shared his special blanket with me. He allowed me to hold it for almost fifteen minutes. It's such a gift when a child trust you like this.

3 comments:

  1. Myrna,

    You wrote: "You may start to get bored of this. I - on the other hand - am having a whole lot of fun." Well, I am NOT bored. I am really enjoying reading about your sewing.

    Last week I purchased the skirt pattern that you wrote about. You are providing me with inspiration and information to start sewing clothes again. I have been sewing quilts and fabric art but it has been many years since sewing clothes. I am a little nervous about starting again...and my body has changed...used to have to take in the waist. Now I have a normal waist but think I have the high hips that you wrote about. I have collected some simple patterns to start with.

    My upcoming retirement will give me the desperately desired uninterrupted time to ease back in. I am not sorry that I have collected an abundance of supplies to work with as I am at a point in my life where USING them provides more satisfaction than buying them and being frustrated with limited time to create.

    Anyway, thanks for continuing to share with us about textile art, sewing, knitting, process, life...

    Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna, can you give some tips for sewing on knits without stretching it out of shape? I don't sew garments but I do alter the ones I buy and have a hard time with knits. I try not to pull on them but sometimes it gets a "wavy" shape that doesn't look good.
    Seri

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete