_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 2 September 2009

Noticing

Karen asked - How are you faring per the forest fires?

We had another storm last night complete with lightening so I'm waiting to hear how many more strikes and/or fires were reported. There are quite a few large fires in the area, several threatening homes, and a LOT of smoke hanging over the valley. I don't think we've seen the hills clearly for weeks and the air always has a tinge of smoke.

I haven't heard from Megs (my exhibit partner) in a few days so I'm not sure of the status of her place. The last that I heard the fire was 300 meters away and yesterday, I heard via someone else that a barn had burned in the area. I know that she has a large barn on her property so I'm wondering if it was her's but I also know that she's safe in her studio in town. Although the studio is much too small for their family full-time, it's familiar which does help in a small way.

It's hard to sit and wait and on the other hand, you don't want to be constantly calling everyone you know. Another friend is near another fire and we've told her and her husband to come stay with us if they're evacuated. That's company I hope not to have - LOL. Thanks so much for asking.

Louise wrote - Congratulations on taking a positive approach to cancelling the workshop proactively instead of waiting until the last moment. It is a decision that moves you along the road you are travelling now. How great to wind up your business on such a positive note. I look forward to reading your blog as you transition to your new creative self.

LOVE that phrase Louise - my new creative self. Yesterday at Arts & Crafts, I was talking to one of the women about the changes I'm making and she said "just like your course". It's good to be practicing what I preach. Sometimes we get caught up in the blurry close-up vision and we forget to stand back and pan the whole view. That's normal and then when we can - and do - stand back we often see something equally or more tantalizing in another direction. YES YES! I'm feeling very good about moving on.




My sweater is coming along great. I've finished the back and two fronts. Today, I'll knit the shoulder seams together and then start on the sleeves. I'm pleased with how it looks and - LOL - I can almost start thinking about my next project.

It was a weird day yesterday - a day of noticing differences. In one knitting group, I am significantly younger than most of the women and in the other, I am significantly older. I felt the age gap. In each group, there is one woman closer to my age. In one, we've become friends and I'm really enjoying getting to know her better and in the other, we're friendly but not connecting beyond that. It's disappointing and the way things go.

I've been going to both of these groups for six months now. That's the point at which your "newness" wears off and you're not nearly so interesting anymore and your eccentricities start to become annoying rather than intriguing. I've seen this point so many times that I'm amazed I keep trying. It's surprising how unbelievably hard it is to make friends. I've talked to women of all ages and most say the exact same thing - even in groups of common interest.

Of course, even in those groups, there are things you do NOT have in common. In sewing, quilting, knitting groups, I'm constantly teased (and at some point it starts to feel like being ridiculed) for my way of being and in particular for being neat, for working on one project at a time, and for re-working a project to make it fit/look better. On a good day, I can handle the teasing. It's knitting, sewing, or quilting for Pete's sake. We can all do it our own way. On a bad day, I don't handle it well. Lonely in a group has got to be the worst kind of lonely. How do you find groups?

This morning, I'm going for coffee with a woman I met a few months ago. This is our second coffee together. We'll see how that goes. She has invited me to her home which is quite wonderful. So often you just meet in coffee shops and you never really see how your friend lives. There's something good and different about being in each other's homes. I'm looking forward to the visit.

Later this afternoon, I'll mount seven of the pieces on their canvasses and then work on the finishing touches to the other two. After staring at them up on the design wall for two days, I'm pretty sure of what I want to add but - as you know with design - everything can change suddenly. Decisions have a domino effect. Looking great though. I'm really excited.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - finishing the two fronts on the sweater

1 comment:

  1. Hi Myrna
    Interesting what you say about groups - I get very frustrated when (mainly in classes) other class members focus on my work - or someone else's and go on and on about how they wish they had those colours, or look how neat that is, you don't need to be here etc. There have been very few classes that I have been to where I haven't learned something, or used it to improve my skills or knowledge, and it frustrates me to have people commenting on my work, instead of focusing on their own. I'll get off my soap box now!Enjoy your day,
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete