_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 11 September 2009

Little Black Dress

Yesterday morning I spent HOURS and HOURS winterizing the garden. My back hurts and I'm stiff and sore and it looks fabulous. This planter was in the perfect spot all summer. It thrived in the sun and was watered by the sprinklers. It's full and beautiful still.




Even though it's starting to get cold, I didn't want to pull out the flowering plants. I weeded and took out plants that I didn't want anymore and moved the ones that could be moved now. The rest will happen in spring. These roses will move over under...




... the guest room window. They'll bloom after the Iris and the Lilies that are already there and about the same time as the Hosta and won't be too tall for the window. It seems like a good choice of spots and then I can put more Lilies and Hostas in the area where they are now. These are two of my favourite plants.




The far part of our garden, along the edge of the porch on the other side of the stairs, has been quite difficult to figure out because our neighbour has a wonderful, huge, shade tree that also shades our porch and that section. I haven't found the right combination of shade plants yet.



After the garden, I worked on Millicent's Little Black Dress. I was thrilled to find that the angle of the shoulder on the form is the same as mine and I won't need to pad the shoulders - I think - I'll know for sure when I sew the sloper. My neckline is a lot lower - perhaps I have a forward neck. If so, I'm not sure how I'll deal with that - later.

Here's how I fit the swimsuit fabric to the form. I pulled it up tight and pinned and then sewed along the pin line. I also took a tuck across the corner like you would at the bottom of a purse. It gave shape to the shoulders. I cut out the neck and finished the edge with a zigzag just to look nicer.




The dress looks pretty good. Next time it's off, I'll cut out the sliders on the bra strap so they don't stick out like they are now and take the waist darts in some more so that they're snugger.




The bottom is held around and under with a draw string tied tight and tucked up inside. I'm really pleased with the results. Clothes slide on and off smoothly. Today, I'm going to - finally - clean house. I can't stand it anymore. And then, I'll sew the sloper with all the key markings drawn on it and after that "real" clothes.

It has been a week since I closed the business. While working on the LBD, I thought about how happy I was feeling working in my yard and studio. Closing was a good decision. It was time to move on. I'm glad.

I'm re-reading Eat Pray Love and the author talks about the three things she wanted to do. I spent some time thinking about what three things do I want and my top three are...

... to live at peace within relationships. Since they cannot be all smooth sailing, I want my attitudes and actions to be ones that I respect and that create peace within me and are physically and emotionally healthy.

... to live creatively in a full and balanced way for the whole of my life. Even though I've had a twenty year career in a creative field, it was not balanced and all about making money. Many outlets for creativity were ignored or pushed aside. It's wonderful to be exploring creativity in a different way and see it spread to all areas of my life and home.

... to live with financial security and not ever again worry about money which to me includes making wise use of what I have, having both financial and emotional abundance, and being generous.

What do you want? Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful: feeling happy

No comments:

Post a Comment