_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 15 September 2009

Kept Woman

Karen wrote - It has been interesting to read of your progression through teaching at Quilt University (and the bad taste your "leaving" left in my mouth) through Internet teaching to finally being courageous enough to end the business and get on with creating only the things you want. Although the world has lost you as one of the best teachers I have ever had, you have gained an appreciation for life and creativity and how it enhances life that was hard earned. Good for you for having the strength to give up the business and get on with enjoying life.

What kind words. Thank you Karen. It was a very difficult decision and so fabulous that I had the exhibit to work on for the ending. It's not even two weeks ago and yet it seems like a long time ago already.

At my core, I am such a teacher. I miss it greatly however, I am REALLY enjoying this switch - much more so than I thought I would since the start of closing the business was more "forced" on me than chosen. I hope that in some way I am still teaching, supporting, and encouraging through the blog by sharing my life. Many of you have been on this roller coaster with me. Not only do I think you are very brave for following along, I am thankful for your presence.

Right now, I'm on a sabbatical of some kind and eventually it will end and there will be a new beginning. I'm intrigued to see what God sends my way. It make sense to me that somehow that beginning will utilize the skills and abilities developed over these years. I hope so. I love to write and I love to teach and I'd love to do that again. Meanwhile...

... this being a kept woman stuff is a HUGE amount of work. Yesterday I baked muffins for the boys in the morning, went for a walk, picked up groceries for and started dinner, cleaned the fridge, the cupboards, and washed the kitchen floor, had a quick coffee with a friend, ran a few more errands, and folded some laundry. It was well past 2:30 when I finally got to the studio and then only because I called a time out. The chores would have been never ending. An hour and a half later, I was back in the kitchen getting dinner in the oven. That really made me think about the whole women's lib movement.

It is hotly charged subject that has come up a lot lately on sewing blogs due to the re-interest in vintage styles and more fitted and feminine clothing. Go figure. While I know that people have differences of opinions on this subject, just looking at the surface and how that movement has changed the day to day life of women, it seems to me that they didn't actually develop a life of choice. Instead, now it seems that women are expected to do all that they used to do plus have a full time job. Just one day into my home-maker routine, and it is entirely possible to me that the increase in stress and illness and depression and divorce could be linked to women running around like chickens with their heads cut off and never taking a break to re-charge. It is impossible to be all things to all people. I'm still thinking about this idea. It's a version of less is more.

When I did get to the studio, I worked on the Hong Kong seam finishes. I have practiced this finish before and used it in small doses but never on a complete project. The bias strips were cut from some hand dyed silk in my scrap bag. IMHO - they are a thing of beauty. I LOVE how the pink looks against the black lining.




Especially when it's all spread out. What fun it will be to take this coat off and hang it over the back of a chair. YES YES! Even the princess seam was easy to finish.




And Millicent - I'm still so excited about this dress form. It's just like a design wall. I can put my "piece" up there, stand back, and admire it from all directions. She ( the dress form) is right beside the curl-up chair so I can sit there to pin and to admire or contemplate. Just perfect.




I have two long strips of bias left for the armhole seam. After offsetting the side seam, I thought I had better sew the sleeve one before I forgot what I did. That's when I discovered that I had cut two sleeves the same. There is no extra fabric so I flipped the pattern and re-cut the shape of the curve. In one area, there is barely 1/4" left. The stitching in the image below marks the seam line. When...




... I put in the easing, I'll stitch to this tissue paper and mark the curve similar to what's shown here. That way, I can match the edges and get the sleeve sewn in correctly before tearing it out. Should work.

Today is Arts & Crafts club. I'm staying downtown for lunch and then have an appointment at the sewing store for lessons on my new serger. They came with the purchase and are a good idea since it has features I've never had before. I'll be able to utilize them better once I understand them.

Tonight is Knit Night. I'm going to try a new group that meets in the mall. It's larger and about half of the woman are closer to my age. I'm not sure if I'll switch. I'm going to see what I think but I do know that the conversations of 30-ish women are quite different than the conversations of 50-ish women.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a lovely compliment

2 comments:

  1. 10 years ago this week I quit the corporate rat race to be a kept woman and have more time to be creative. It has been the greatest blessing for me. Even though I still don't always have the time I would like for creative ventures, our (hubby and me) life together has been calmer and richer than anything we had before this experiment. Blessings on you as you settle into a life that best suits you and your family for this time.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrna
    Please know that when you say "I hope that in some way I am still teaching, supporting, and encouraging through the blog by sharing my life. " - You are! All the way to Australia. I really appreciate your generosity in sharing your thoughts, works in progress and your creations. Love the jacket!
    regards,
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete