_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 15 December 2009

From Princess to Practical

A few weeks ago, Vogue patterns were on sale for a fabulous price. Since I'm a member of the BMV Club, I constantly receive email offers and I mostly ignore them only $3.82 was quite irresistible especially considering some Vogue patterns are over $30.00 regularly. Here's what I ordered.




Vogue 8465 - Both the white and the red views of this coat appealed to me probably because they are totally impractical, somewhat romantic, and not at all something that I'd purchase if buying a coat. I'd certainly try it on and pat it longingly but I wouldn't buy it. EXCEPT - it's so me and this style would be ultra flattering. Maybe when coating comes on sale in the spring, if there's something equally fanciful like that gorgeous fuchsia colored boiled wool that I've been eyeing up, this might be doable.




Vogue 8536 - from princess to practical. This is a basic, all purpose t-shirt that has the potential to be an adaptable T & T. Do you see how that view top right could...




... easily become a knock off of this ModCloth Reporting For Duty t-shirt. Not that I'd need to knock it off at that reasonable price - $29.99. It's more the challenge of being able to do it and all those fabulous buttons.




Vogue 7963 - I've had a few RTW garments with this off the shoulder and/or shawl collar look. The purple sweater I knit recently is very similar. I thought this pattern could be dressed up with fancier fabrics or down with something more casual. I'll probably try it in denim.




Vogue 8511 - This pattern looks like a warm and comfy winter dress. The empire waistline makes it easier to fit. Recently, I bought a soft baby cord in purple with a paisley print. I think it and the pattern would work well together. This one is a strong contender for the "one garment of your choice" criteria for the SWAP.




Vogue 8469 - this won't get sewn until spring at the earliest. In terms of fitting, the waistband makes things a LOT easier.

SDBev wrote - Love your solution for the pant and skirt waist fitting (see yesterday). I find that my waistline can vary greatly through out the day and am struggling for an answer for me. I too don't really want to put elastic in every waistband. Draw strings do not work for me.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. A pair of pants or a skirt can fit smooth and lovely one day, be falling off the next morning, and be back to bumpy and bulky by noon depending on what I'm eating, drinking, or doing. This is so IRRITATING especially as I have a waist and a figure and I'd like to show them off just not in a lumpy, bumpy, gathered, old lady, kind of way. We'll get there. Here are some pant patterns I'm going to use on my journey to discovery.



Vogue 7881 - these are (yawn, yawn) boring pants and because of it, ultra practical. The yoke is again a great fitting tool as is the center back seam and the darting for additional shape. You can see these more clearly in the technical drawing.




Vogue 1035 - These pants have similar fitting aspects to the yawn, yawn boring ones with the addition of the front pockets. What a tiny technical drawing. Sorry. I'm eyeing this pattern up as a possibility for jeans. On my Christmas wish list is Ron Collins & Sandra Betzina's DVD on making jeans. That's a wanna do on my goal list for next year. If I don't get the DVD, I am taking a workshop with them in April so I'll learn then. If I do get it, jeans might be part of my SWAP.



Vogue 1063 - I bought this pattern for the pants - also potential jeans. They have lines similar to my favourite pair of comfort waist jeans from Reitmans. The RTW ones use stretch fabric, a mock fly, and a closed waistband. There are no lumps and bumps to ruin the line of your clothing. I hope to successfully re-create them at some point.



Vogue 2976 - bought for the pants, the jacket, and the tank top. Doesn't that cover photo look just blah? Without the technical drawing, I never would have looked at this pattern twice however...



... in it, you can see that everything has clean, basic lines that provide a good base for practical wardrobe building garments. I like the simplicity of the jacket. I'm very drawn to princess seams in upper garments possibly because they look good on me or maybe just because I like their shaping. Either way, I prefer fitted clothing that gives me shape and princess seams work well.




Vogue 1062 - This coat would give me absolutely NO shape but the skirt is fabulous. It's similar to the McCall's one that I made a few weeks ago. I like the simple front and feminine flippy back. There are several patterns like this one in my stash. LOL - they look good with the shawl collar tops and jackets.

The SWAP (sewing with a plan) starts on December 26th. According to the rules, we are allowed to chose and fit patterns and cut them out in advance. There are eleven garments in total. I prefer to work on one at a time so I have no intention of cutting things out in mass and stacking them up in the studio. However, some of the patterns I've made over the last few weeks will get used so they're tested and fitted and ready to go. Between now and then, there is my Christmas top and four pairs of pajama pants to finish. That's enough.

Howard is taking the boys to his parents on either the 26th or 27th. While they are gone, I will sort through my fabric, edit what doesn't need to be there, make some choices for the SWAP, and get started. FUN FUN!

Have a great day - Myrna

Grateful - a space heater in my studio. It is absolutely FREEZING out. Yesterday was -27C and Kamloops is in a warm part of Western Canada. Brr...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - I want you to have all the time you need to make this offering in your own way. I don't want anything forced or hurried at the last minute. Remember: a stingy planter gets a stingy crop; a lavish planter gets a lavish crop. I want each of you to take plenty of time to think it over and make up your own mind what you will give. That will protect you against sob stories and arm-twisting. God loves it when the giver delights in the giving. - 2 Corinthians 9

Each year, when we fund raise for diabetes with our son, we're amazed at the anger and rudeness of homeowners toward those raising money for common causes such as diabetes, cancer, and heart & stroke. These issues do not pick and choose. They can visit anyone.

It has also been an interesting observation that the most generous people do not live in the fanciest houses. In fact, just the opposite seems to be true. I'm very lucky to have the lifestyle that I have. That's not something I want to forget. I want to be generous and give wisely. Giving is a category in our budget. Planning for it makes it happen. Before we planned, it didn't happen.

As the verses advise, deciding in advance provides a plan of action that protects us from sob stories and arm-twisting. We know who to and how much we are able to give. We know when we can be part of a new opportunity like this year when Howard and I adopted two children in Guatemala. He's going to visit them in February. It's wonderful to know our little bit is making a big difference to them. It's only two take-out pizza's a month's worth to us and so much more to them.

I believe it's so important to give and even so, there are times when I'd really like to keep that money. I need to remind myself of my choices and their impact. I believe that what goes around comes around. I want generosity to come to my life when I need it.

LOL - the VERY first kettle I see out at Christmas for the Salvation Army gets a donation. That way, I can pass all the other kettles by with a greeting and a smile of encouragement knowing that I've done my part. I'm so thankful for fundraisers. They do all of us a wonderful service. They deserve respect, kindness, consideration, and NOT rudeness.

1 comment:

  1. Without even realizing what I did this year I also contributed to the Salvation Army via the bucket at the very first one I saw. Now I too can smile and wish a Merry Christmas to the bell ringers.

    Strange that your procedure turned out to be one that I am now going to internalize for the rest of my days.

    Thank you, Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete