_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 7 December 2009

Made By Me!

These aren't the best photos. They're a bit shaky, sometimes blurry, and dark HOWEVER... the pants are done. This is my first pair of pants in the eighteen months since I took the Palmer/Pletsch pant fitting workshop in Portland. It was a great class and the information stayed with me. I didn't even have to check their book. Love that - when we've absorbed information in such a way that our hands move with ease. YES YES!




The back looks great. The pants fall nicely from the hips without any wrinkles through the crotch. See that slight caving at the knees? While tissue fitting, I paid the most attention to the back since that's where I've had issues before. The dropped curve of the crotch seam is perfect only I added too much length to the center front seam. You can see that the crotch is a bit baggy in this front image and that there are some light wrinkles at the front hip. Those transfer to the back with that knee sagging. As I learn about fit, I'm amazed at what a difference even 1/4" can make.




This is even more. When I pin out the 3/4" that I added to the center front - which was dumb since I have a tipped waist - the crotch is lifted into a better position and the hip wrinkles and knee sagging disappears.




Next time I'll also narrow the front by eliminating the width of the dart all the way down from waist to hem. I should have fit the pants wearing pantyhose as they're a bit too wide, not a lot but I can pinch about 1/2" each side. I didn't realize the pantyhose sucked me in quite that much. LOVE them even more now - LOL.




Overall, I'm pleased. The pants aren't perfect but they're not horrible either. If I'd been willing to take off the waistband and lift center front 3/4" tapering to the side, they'd have been right on through the crotch. I wasn't - at least not right now - but I've made those changes to the pattern and it's ready to go for the SWAP.

On Saturday, I sewed the New Look 6149 wrap out of a grey t-shirt knit. I've sewn two New Look patterns recently and have enjoyed how well drafted they are. I'm not sure why but I always thought of this pattern line as cheap in terms of quality as well as price. I'm changing my opinion and looking at them more often now PLUS... they are less expensive which is nice.



Here's the wrap with the pants and the t-shirt from a few weeks ago. This is the first time in YEARS and YEARS that I'm wearing an entire outfit made by me. What fun.




I wore this outfit to the theater Saturday night, to church Sunday morning, and then gave the pants to my girlfriend. She's lost over 100 pounds in the past two years and is one size up from me. She'll wear them until she shrinks out of them and then I'll take them in.




I prefer fitted clothing so my changing weight is causing some issues - like constant fitting and re-sewing. Yesterday, I started on my Christmas outfit using the "Von Trapp Family" skirt pattern - Simplicity 2516 - and in just the few weeks since I tested it, my hips are 3/4" smaller. That's fine. It just means altering the alterations. I'll tell you about them later in the week. Tomorrow, more about the wrap.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the last several Saturdays have been spent sewing in my studio. It's wonderful to feel so happy again. I'm grateful to have these skills and to be able to use them. I'm not sure how I went so many years without sewing fashions. It's obviously something I enjoy very much. I'm grateful to be able to do it again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Years ago, when I would put out the nativity scene, the kids would move the characters around and it would irritate me. Back then, I was very particular about how the pieces looked. As I matured, I realized that it wasn't all that important and the shuffling became a joke between the kids and I. I'd set out the pieces, they'd move them, I'd move them back, and this would carry on for the season. Last year, the pieces never moved. So far this year, they haven't moved. What used to irritate me now makes me sad. I am reminded to enjoy fully the spot where I am right now, to not make a big deal out of things that don't matter, to focus on the relationships and not the "stuff", and to take a good look at what's irritating me. Is this something minor, something silly, something I'll miss a few years down the road and wish I'd immersed myself in more fully at the time?

7 comments:

  1. Love that you are wearing a whole outfit you sewed yourself. What a great feeling. You look great (and by the big smile we can see you feel great too). Looking forward to many more such posts.
    RuthieK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna

    I'll bow to your better judgement, but I cant see a thing wrong with these pants. this is exactly how I want trousers to fit. I think they are beauty and perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pants fitting focus is how well I look from the back. The back of your pants look fabulous! Well done.
    I am enjoying reading about the PLEASURE your sewing time is providing for you right now. And I really like the addition of the personal growth section. As always, I an grateful for your sharing.

    Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Mryna! I think your whole outfit looks fantastic - and how wondeful that you did them all yourself and they look so good. You did great job with all the alterations.
    I know exactly what you mean by enjoying the present - I saw something on TV recently that reminded me of holidays that we did with my two young nieces and I relised that I didn't make the most of it at the time yet it can never come again - well, one is now 30 and the other is 26!! I made a vow then to live for each day and enjoy what I have, even if it is different from what I expected. Love you personal growth slot - makes me think. Again, thanks for such a brilliant blog.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's all I've got - Wow! Love everything. Especially that you gave the pants away after making them fit so well. I think as women who sew we are our own worst enemies.

    Can't wait to see what comes out of your studio next. g

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look excellent and they hang perfectly - that's how I tell if they are really well-fitting. A little tweaking on pants and it makes a world of difference - and it's worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pants look great! You have a great fitting garment *and* an understanding of what makes it work. I'm jealous. I'd love to take a pants-fitting class someday.

    ReplyDelete