_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 24 December 2009

The Reason...

This is how much God loved the world; He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why; so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world to right again. - John 3:16



It's not the parties or the presents, the pretty dresses or the food. It's not even the time spent with family and friends as wonderful as that may be. It's not about good works or being kind or generous - at least not to others. The reason for the season is God's gift to us.

Merry CHRISTmas - Myrna

Grateful: a reason with depth and meaning far beyond the shallowness of shopping and gift getting

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your CHRISTmas. I'm trying to find a late Christmas eve service here in town to go to but I think I'm out of luck unless I want to go to Midnight Mass. I prefer the 10 or 11pm service to the busier family one earlier on. The Anglican church used to have a late one but I think they are in between rectors atm so may not have it this year.

    Once I've been to the Christmas Eve service, I've pretty much had my Christmas.

    This year I will be spending the 4 days starting Christmas Day in my studio - working on my own art and no business work. I decided I would rather actually spend Christmas Day here in my studio than cooking a turkey dinner just for me. A mini retreat to fill my own well.

    Best wishes to you and yours Myrna.
    I am enjoying your new blog format with the extra postings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. regarding your last line about the shallowness of shopping and gift getting... I know of no one, not one person who gets up christmas morning without opening ANY gift -- other than myself, my husband and my two sons -- we or at least my husband and myself, even ask friends to take whatever gift they may have wrapped for us and to pass it along to one of the charities - my friends have been shocked in the past but they have now learned -- it is not that their gift is something I don't need or want, but really -- it probably is something I don't need or want and someone else needs it... the gift in our home is a dinner while we sit and chat and enjoy the company. Truely it is all that I want -- oh and for them to say, Mom, that was a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete