_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 30 December 2009

Repurposing & A Mess of Thread Tails

Tuesday morning, I woke up crabby, crabby, crabby and my mood seemed to get worse as the day went on. I'm sure most of it was due to lack of sleep with a few passive aggressive moments threwn in for good measure. You know how it is that you can let some things roll off of you and roll off of you and then bang... they hit... and you're totally ticked right off. Yup - one of those kinds of days. In order to save mankind, I stayed in my studio and sewed. Luckily, the sewing co-operated.




See that mess of thread tails? I was nearing the end of re-making this skirt and still didn't want to cut any of them off just in case something had to be adjusted again. There were eight seams, each with a tail for the stitching line and two tails for the serged finish - read LOTS of scraggly ends. That's enough to drive you crazy even when you aren't crabby. My preference is for neat, clean sewing. I like to stitch and trim as I go. I really admire Amanda's work at Amanda's Adventures in Sewing. She does amazing seam finishes that make the inside of her garments as gorgeous as the outside - a very talented and inspiring seamstress.

Repurposing an older garment is a lot of fun when I'm sewing it into something entirely different however, when all I'm doing is making it smaller, it's not nearly as wonderful. It was worth the work though since I absolutely love the fabric I used to sew this Burda 8213 skirt a few years ago and wanted to keep it. I started by taking everything apart except for the center back seam. It didn't make sense to re-do the zipper. Once the original skirt was back in pieces, I pin fit, adjusted, and stitched the seams. It would have been easier, a lot less messy, and much quicker to start from scratch but not possible. Oh well!

In total, the seams were taken in 4 1/2" from hip to hem and 9" at the waist graduated out to the hip. That sounds like a lot but when I tried the skirt on with pantyhose to make sure the waist wouldn't be big and baggy when I wore it, that's how much was needed to keep it snug against the body. My waist to hip difference is substantial. Next time, I'll use a longer zipper to make it easier to get in and out of. Right now, I have to ease it up gently.




The original skirt was fully lined. I debated leaving it out this time but the fabric is slightly scratchy and somewhat see through and what would I do with a used lining anyway? May as well re-purpose it too.

The lining had a serged bottom edge made by my previous serger. My new one does a much nicer job. I'm glad I was able to buy it earlier this year. This time - after adjusting all the seams to match the skirt - I sewed lingerie lace around the bottom. It looks pretty and more finished.




The waistband is made from stretch lace just like the one on my Christmas skirt was. I cut a 2 1/2" strip, folded it wrong sides together, stitched it to the skirt/lining with a 3/8" seam, turned it over the seam allowance to the inside, and edge stitched it in place creating a nice soft finish. I can see myself using this method quite often.




Typically, I don't wear shirts tucked in but - since she has a little black dress on all the time - I put the New Look 6735 t-shirt from Monday on Millicent (my dressform) to add some contrast so that you could actually see the skirt and then...




... while I was dressing her anyway, I added this belt that's been lying around in the studio. I planned to either make it smaller or repurpose it into a bag buckle. Maybe I'll wear it although...




... I think the buckle might be too big on me except that it looks good on Millicent and she looks a lot like me - VBG - so I'll give it a try when I wear the outfit. Probably on Sunday. I have some boots that will look great with the skirt.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a new serger

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - I spent a lot of time thinking about those verses from yesterday, especially the part about comparing myself to others. I've been doing that far more than I thought. Since it's natural and sometimes necessary, there must be a positive way of comparing that is evaluation rather than criticism. Still thinking...

2 comments:

  1. The skirt, top and belt work really well together. Its a very flattering silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the whole outfit. Looks great. Nice belt buckle with the stitching on it!
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete