_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 23 December 2009

Keep Christmas Simple

Yesterday, I spent a lot more time in the curl up chair knitting and then, for a change of pace, in the evening I went over to the yarn store and knit with Brenda. I finished one sleeve and most of the ribbing (5") on the second one.

There were two smaller balls of yarn left for the second sleeve - not enough - so I wound this last skein into a ball ready to use. I didn't mind using it since I've already bought it HOWEVER... I mind that this is a sixteen dollar ball of....




... hand dyed, variegated, bamboo yarn and I really do NOT like the way it knit up. It feels wonderful but look at the color pooling. With variegated yarn, you get what you get and with hand dyed yarn, you get what you get and what I'm getting is the distinct impression that there are no hand dyed, variegated yarns in my future. I prefer a solid with texture in the yarn or knit into the pattern. Good learning.




There is half a sleeve to go before I can block and sew the sweater together. This is my only project in progress and I have one UFO to re-do the neckband on. My goal is to finish both of those by the end of the year and enter 2010 with a cleared studio. I may have started the SWAP by then but that will be a project in progress. It's UFO's I don't want.




The boys jammies are finished. I was able to stitch in the elastic yesterday morning. Normally I make a tag out of the same fabric by serging the edges. This time, I used bits of a lime ribbon with pink dots. LOL - they should be easy to find. The tags mark the back. The jammies are now out of the studio and...




... all wrapped up with the other presents. YEARS ago, I decided not to put presents under the tree until Christmas Eve after the kids went to bed. I didn't want the focus of the season to be on "what did I get" which of course is exactly what it's on if there are unwrapped presents anywhere within sight - for children and for parents. Doing it this way, my kids were never overly hyper which I really appreciated.

This week, I've learned that I do Christmas substantially different than a lot of people. One of the threads I've been reading has been about hating Christmas. For some, it's about loss and loneliness however, for most, it's been about the work load. Reading the postings made me sad because these people are doing it to themselves and it could be so much different. We have choices.

I've seen and lived through exhausting Christmasses that weren't pretty and when I established my own home, I realized that while the woman will always do more of the work, I was not willing to be responsible for all of the work. The only thing I do by myself is put away the decorations otherwise, if this is a family event, it's going to be done by the whole family. My take on an activity is that if they don't want "it" bad enough to do the work with me then perhaps it doesn't need to be done...

... except cooking and cleaning. These do need to be done. I delegate both cooking and cleaning to my husband, children living at home, visiting children, in-law children, and even guests. If we're all making the mess, we can all clean it up. Some people gasp when I say I make guests work but I've found that they especially like to be useful. They know there's work involved in having them visit.

I'll continue to delegate in this way because otherwise I would start to resent having my "holiday" turn into a pile of work. Even with all the delegating I do do, I've had that feeling occasionally and it doesn't have to happen because as long as I have the bits and pieces organized, most people are more than willing to help. IMHO that's fabulous and the way it should be. If they're not, they can be trained or perhaps I don't want them to visit - VBG.

We limit presents to three and set a budget - a low one. We only buy gifts for immediate family - each other and our kids. Howard and I go out for breakfast, make notes, and Christmas shop in November to avoid the crowds and the stress. We both buy the presents and have a date day.

We all decorate the house together on December 1st and that's when we have eggnog and butter tarts for the first time. I bake once and only butter tarts. Obviously - since we need them for the 1st - I bake at the end of November. This year, I made tarts twice due to a special request from Howard's co-workers. Because I'm organized, I had time to bake them. I would bake shortbread if anyone asked for it but they don't like it enough for me (or them) to bother. We buy Christmas cake and Nanaimo bars. We bake or buy just enough that by the time Christmas is over, it's all gone.

We have a tree decorating party on the second Sunday before Christmas with either a candlelight dinner afterward or appetizers and finger foods during. We all cook. We all clean. For almost fifteen years, we invited an elderly couple with no grandchildren to join us. They are too old to come now and we still miss them. In the future, when there are no children living at home, I can see us inviting friends.

Howard and I wrap all the presents together. We play music, drink eggnog, I wrap, and he tapes and writes the cards. We eat normal food in normal amounts that doesn't take all day to cook and provides enough left overs for Boxing Day and January 1st. We have turkey another time. This Christmas Eve, we're having spaghetti with chicken wings, garlic bread, and salad. Tomorrow morning, I'll precook the sauce and noodles. The sauce will go in the crockpot to stay warm and I'll write notes on how to heat up the noodles and cook the chicken wings. When Howard and I get home from doing the second service (worship team), the boys will have everything ready for a late dinner.

Christmas morning, we'll have yummy gooey cinnamon buns (purchased) with oranges and eggnog. This year, I'll have a warm GF coffee cake. For dinner on Christmas Day, we're having slow cooked ribs, scalloped potatoes, baked vegetables, and salad. And on New Year's Eve, we're having corn chowder with buns. AND... with everything ... butter tarts.

Today is two day's before Christmas. There is nothing that has to be done. I could spend almost all of today and tomorrow and most of the holidays knitting or sewing in the studio. Any work to be done is a normal amount (meals, towels, bathrooms, vacuuming) and we'll do it together. I aim to keep Christmas simple and fun for everyone, me included.

I hope that telling you about how I do Christmas offers a different perspective on the holidays. Perhaps one that would be more fun and manageable for any of you who find it overwhelming. Simplifying, planning, and doing things in advance can make a HUGE difference and focus Christmas on fun, family, friends, and Christ's birth.

Talk tomorrow - Myrna

Grateful - a slower pace, less stress

4 comments:

  1. Greetings Myrna,
    I find your blog truly inspiring. I was trawling the net looking for the SWAP 2010 rules and somehow ended up here. I love your work and will be following along as I work to get myself out of this 2009 funk.
    Stay blessed,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Myrna
    Wishing you and your family a lovely relaxing christmas.
    regards
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a Happy Christmas, Myna!
    Since the turn of the century, our christmases have become smaller and quieter each year, to the point where this year we decided on no presents at all under our little entrance way tree... It has come to the point where for me, Christmas is all about peace and quiet - I know that many others feel the need to give and get presents even if they don't need them or even want them -- well, I have to admit, I did get a gift already - a diabetes living magazine (does the gifter not realize I need no reminder of my disease after more than 10 years of it) and a bottle of vanilla shower gel ( do I stink?) I wish that I did not open those -- next year for sure, I will pass those and maybe even these ones to the christmas bureau or to the food bank... But I would love a half meter of fabric, anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna,
    I love your Christmas traditions - we also have some but not as many as you. Two that I may incorporate are having a set time for certain 'Christmassy' things and limiting the presents - that is such a good idea. I hope that you and your family have a lovely, peaceful Christams and I look forward to continuing to read your blog.
    Best Wishes
    Elizabeth
    PS - your comment about UFOs made me think. This time last year, I was diagnosed with a recurrance of an illness which meant that I completed very little sewing this year - unlike you, I have more than one(!) item on the go at once, although earlier this year, again from reading your blog, I made the decision that when I was better I would clear them and from then on, do one at a time. I only recently began feeling better and would you believe, my illness is back again!!! I had decided they would have to wait, yet again. However, reading your blog toady, I decided That I AM going to work on them slowly and when I am better again, I will also have a clear studio. (Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to let you know how inspirational you are!!0
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete