_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 16 December 2009

Getting There

The rhinestone zipper only comes in two lengths - at least here in town it does. One was about 2" too long and the other was about 2" too short which meant shortening a separating zipper. It was fiddly but not all that difficult - at least not for me. Howard helped. He did the grunt work. I directed. We ended up "stealing" the zipper stops from another metal zipper and placing them at the correct position above the crystals. That took two tries. The first time, I was four crystals off because...





... I just pinned and sewed the zipper to the opening not thinking about the fact that a knit might stretch even though I'd interfaced it for strength and stability. The second time, we shortened the zipper to the length of the pattern piece minus hems and seam allowances and then fit the opening to the zipper. That worked better. LOVE basting tape. I used a dissolving one this time. When I wash the top to fluff up the nap, it'll disappear.




The zipper is closed in this detail shot. In this position, the stops are completely covered by the tab. That's good. They're silver and it doesn't look the best when you can see them. A little black paint should take care of that.

Since the top has an opening on both sides, it is made with a left and a right section as opposed to a front and a back. That's a little weird. Now that the zipper is in, I can pin the front opening closed and test the fit of the seams. If they're good, all that's left to do is the bottom hem, the buttons and buttonholes, and a fluff up for the nap. I'm getting there and pleased so far. I love the soft feel of the knit. When my friend Wendy was over last night, she couldn't believe I was using the wrong side. She - like me - thought it was nicer than the right side.




This is a detail of the RTW comfort jeans I buy at Reitmans. It occurred to me yesterday that I could measure the contour waist front and back and use that information to adjust patterns. The fabric in these jeans has a slight bit of stretch and they stick with me all day through waist fluctuations. The sizing will be good information. This pattern from yesterday should be perfect for trying it out.




This morning, I need to tidy up the studio and bring in the exhibit pieces. Craig is coming at ten to see them. I am and I'm not a bit nervous. While I'd like him to like the pieces, I'm realistic enough to know that curators don't always like the art of the artist and that part of their job is to make the exhibit work no matter what. Either way, there are nine pieces ready. They were developed around a solid and agreed upon theme and... IMHO, are really well done. That's good and enough.

Right now, I am in no state of mind for creating anything new especially on a tight deadline over holidays. These pieces need to be delivered to the gallery on January 12th and they already have an interview scheduled for the 14th so... bottom line... Craig will have to take or leave these ones and find a way to make them work with whatever Megs has created. Neither of us has seen the other's finished products. It'll be fun to see them shown together.

I haven't made a piece of textile art since the end of August. That's almost four months not doing something that I spent twenty years doing daily. It's hard to imagine. The break has been fabulous for me. People are constantly asking me if that's it, if I've quit forever. No. I've quit for a while and most likely I've quit professionally BUT... I don't really know and even so... I have an idea tickling for a 5' square piece for my living room and I know my daughter wants a piece for her home.

Tickling is all it's doing though. I'm not ready to work on these pieces just yet because I've - finally - spent four months getting back into sewing fashions which is something that I spent twenty years not doing and missing. It feels wonderful and healing and inspiring and creative and I'm really enjoying myself. I'm very much looking forward to the SWAP. After that, we'll see what happens.

Once Craig leaves, I plan to finish this top and then cut out the pajama pants for the boys. There's a couple hours in the afternoon when neither of them is home. That might be enough to cut them out and make a start. All four pairs can be sewn with black thread so it'll be a production line start to finish.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that I have become strong enough over the years to put my need for peace and healing ahead of other's expectations and demands.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - But we have no intention of moving in on what other's have done and taking credit for it. If you want to claim credit, claim it for God. What you say about yourself means nothing in God's work. It's what God says about you that makes a difference. - 2 Corinthians 10

Recently, I met a man who rubs me completely the wrong way. He walks into a situation and automatically takes over and seems to assume that his answer is the right answer without ever giving anyone else a chance to contribute. Putting aside my awareness that I'm becoming invisible with age, I recognize that characteristic. I've been working on it for years.

As I mentioned in a previous posting, I've learned that when something about another person irritates me, there is always a lesson in there for myself. God tells us ask for wisdom and it will be given unto you. I've asked and while I believe I've received SOME wisdom, it's an ongoing accumulation. It's God's wisdom and not my own, a gift. I would be foolish indeed to think that I am THE wise one, arrived rather than in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment