_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 19 January 2010

Eliminate - Duplicate - Mirror

It's been forever and a day since I've worked with a matched print but I still remember - just barely - what a pain in the behind it is AND to eliminate, duplicate, and mirror the lines.




I started by making a second copy of all the pieces and then pinned the center fronts together to form a complete front pattern. Since the center front line was perfectly straight with no shaping, there was no need to add extra "matching" frustration to my plan. I matched the hem to a horizontal line, center front to a vertical line, and then made sure that any other points like the lengthen/shorten line, notches, and upper edges were "meeting" at the same spot on the plaid. Everything is single layer. I don't cut anything out until all the pieces are pinned just in case one needed to be shifted.



With the back pieces, I positioned them so that the center back seam would end up halfway between a wide pink section. Once sewn together, it will form one complete repeat. It's hard to see in the picture but the center back seam is 1 1/8" wide. The 1/8" is for serging off the edge to finish it and the remaining 1" is for a wider center back seam. It's a lot easier to insert the zipper when you have more room to "play".



The yoke section for each piece was cut out directly above it aligning the notches and centers. Slight easing happens along the top. I may need to do some heavy pinning and/or hand basting.

I didn't get a lot done yesterday. Once I'd cleaned the house, picked up groceries, and done some research at the book and health stores, the day was mostly over. I finally pinned the pieces at 9:00 last night so they're ready to cut out. Today is knitting this morning, lunch with a friend, and then knitting again tonight. Tomorrow, I have two appointments and another Friday morning so I doubt I'll get the sweater and the skirt done for Friday night. Maybe one of them. I hope so.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - finding a book on boosting the immune system stuffed on the wrong shelf in the book store and marked down to $2.00. YES YES!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Do everything readily and cheerfully -- no bickering, no second-guessing allowed! Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message that Christ returns. You'll be living proof that I didn't go to all this work for nothing. - Philippians 2

Some people handle adversity with such grace. They are inspirational. Yesterday, started out not too bad. I thought I had things under control - especially my attitude - and then stuff started to pile up and by the end of the day, I wanted to cry, and rant and rave, and yell, and demand my own way. IMHO there is way too much happening in our lives and - LOL - that's not how it works. I'm picking myself up again. Working to show grace. Working to be inspirational. Baby steps.

Yesterday, I cleaned out the fridge and the pantry, gave away what I couldn't use to a woman at our church who also has gluten allergies, and went grocery shopping and bought a HUGE selection of fresh vegetables. Now I'm exploring new ways to cook them and on the lookout for a good vegetable book - one that identifies what they are, what they're good for, and what to do with them - LOL - and a book that identifies spices especially ones that are spicy but aren't peppers. Good thing, I'd already begun to like curry. I'm also looking for a source of pure spices that don't contain an anti-caking agent. It's typically wheat or corn.

When I create a textile piece, it's a step by step process. I start with something like a piece of fabric. Then, I do one thing, and then another, and then another until the piece tells me it's finished. It's a process of constant responding and moving forward. Sometimes the choice I made takes the piece in uglier or more difficult directions. I stay with it, keep going, it will finish just fine. Life is like that. Making choices. Having responses. Keeping going. A friend sent this link on How To Grow a Mandala. It's beautiful. It's similar to how I create. It's reflective of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment