_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 11 January 2010

Two Layers of Lycra

Last Monday, I was sitting and knitting and knitting and sitting and debating the whole "will this make me look fat" thing and then - finally - I went for it and sewed Vogue 8511. Not in the good fabric of course - VBG - in a $6.00, very fun, looks good on me, trial run, fabric. This is the closest you will ever get to seeing me wearing brown. It's not a typical "Myrna" color. Well... this and that gold brushed denim that I've been stashing for fourteen years - LOL - only that'll be a skirt when and if.




The focus of the debate was the pleats and the belt and the two things I love about this dress are the pleats and the belt. Together, they both make my waist look smaller! The tights are a wonderful color. Not black. Not brown. A taupe. This color is a little softer, a little more flattering for my "second act" legs than black. I'll pick up some more. They are called light tights which are denser than pantyhose and not as thick as regular tights plus a little more silky. They're great.




In terms of the pattern, I was a bit disappointed with the skirt draft. From the hip down, the side seam doesn't hang straight to the floor. It pushes backward. At first, I thought the back skirt was too tight in the hips but two layers of lycra later (one pair of control top tights and one smooth, lift, and separate shaper slip) and it's not the hips. It's the way the pleats push. Otherwise, the dress fits smoothly and does what it was supposed to do. These changes are my preferences as opposed to the designer's. Next time, I will...

... use an armscye princess seam to get the same bodice shaping while...
... allowing me to narrow the shoulder seam and...
... raise the shoulder point to create...
... a more fitted and flattering sleeve line. AND... I'll...
... shorten and narrow the sleeve slightly so it doesn't end at my hips and...
... change the shape of the neckline to better flatter my face.
... in other words... I'll keep the skirt and change the bodice - LOL.

A dress - I own a dress - imagine. And now, I want another one. Too funny. It wasn't nearly as difficult sewing this as it is to try and buy a dress. I'm so lucky that I sew. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!



On Saturday, I started on a knock off of the ModCloth Reporting for Duty t-shirt and finished it Sunday afternoon. What I love about the garment is the row of pleats and buttons. My final version is different than theirs. It has three quarter sleeves and a v-neck AND a lovely row of pleats and buttons. I'll tell you about it tomorrow.

This week is very busy. Even so, I hope to have a skirt ready by Sunday to wear with the t-shirt. Anyone in my church who is clothes conscious like I am must be wondering what weird shift I've gone through recently. After years of wearing versions of the same thing, suddenly I'm showing up in new and more stylish clothes. What they don't know is that it's me finally being me again. It feels good.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - thank you notes

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - This is another innate secret of being in the zone -- that when you are inspired your work can be inspirational to others. Being in the zone taps into your most natural self. And when you are in that place, you can contribute at a much higher level - from The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything by Ken Robinson.

I'm re-reading The Element by Ken Robinson. I'm not a person who marks up books. I don't highlight lines or write in the margins or fold the pages. Most of my books look brand new when I'm finished reading them. I'm very careful with them. This one is chock full of sticky notes that mark quotes and thoughts to think about. It's a fabulous book. I can see reading it over and over.

One thing Ken doesn't say is to follow your passion and the money will follow. I've heard that phrase time and time again and from what I can tell, it's true. My money followed my passion all the way to the fabric store and then it stayed there. In terms of coming to me, there have been some really rough years, some average ones, and a few that were unbelievably wonderful financially. Over-all, it hasn't been a money making proposition. Our passion is not about money. I wish I'd learned that a lot sooner.

The sermon on Sunday was about giving. We're just starting a series based on The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn. This is not a pat answers kind of book which I appreciate because I'm not a pat answers kind of person. There were a few times that the pastor thought he'd be presenting a controversial thought and perhaps to others he was. For me, they were aspects I'd thought about already. You know I tend to think a lot - LOL.

The sermon and the book mixed. Giving is not just about money. It's about a range of ways in which we can support others. Each of us has our unique area of giftedness. I'm extremely efficient, highly organized, and love to sew. I don't just like it a little bit. I really Really REALLY like it. A good discussion on how-to do a specific technique or the puzzle of figuring something out like the pleats on my new top fascinates me.

Textile art, sewing fashions, knitting - these are all areas in which I can give. It has never felt comfortable to me to withhold information for fear of competition or someone stealing my idea. I've always believed that we live our best life by helping others live theirs. Sometimes I forget. Sometimes I get hurt because I feel like I'm always giving and never receiving. I need to give my head a shake and forget about that which is yet, still, again another hard to do thing. Life seems to have a few of those - LOL.

6 comments:

  1. Myrna,
    The dress looks fabulous on you! Isn't it wonderful to accept our age and body types...then flaunt it up a bit? Wonderful!!!!
    Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very flattering dress. You look very shapely, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress. You are amazing! Upbeat, supportive, encouraging - keep it up and thank you so much for sharing yourself in this space. g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myrna
    I think you are obsessing about your hips. Please accept yourself as curvacious. This dress really shows what a womanly woman you really are. Your hips do not look out of proportion to the rest of your body. The dress shows off your fabulous waist. Do be proud of it and your balanced figure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Myrna - the dress looks fabulous! You look fantastic and the colour is lovely on you. I can't wait to see the t-shirt.
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress looks great and you look fabulous in it. It shows that you have a figure to be proud of!
    The trial run is beautiful. I cannot wait to see what you do with it in the perfect fabric.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete