_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 22 January 2010

Previous Punctures

After I'd sewn the first yoke on, I serged the seam. Of course. That's what you do when you think it's not working because - as we all know - if you serge the seam it will magically fix itself. NOT. It just makes more work.




Luckily, it was a three thread serge and easily picked out. Since the yoke was re-cut full and the skirt was now trimmed, I stitched a line 3/8" from the edge on the yoke, matched the remaining 1/4" seam allowance of the skirt to it, and stitched at 5/8". It worked! The new stitching lined up with the previous punctures.




I'm not a matchy-matchy kind of person. Textile art removed any hope of that so it felt weird matching lines but... the plaid did what it was supposed to do along the center back seam even with the zipper. YES YES! Hopefully the sides are as co-operative.




This is the top of the back zipper. That pin sticking out is the same one you see below holding the seam allowance in place. I'm still struggling with what to do at the top of the zippers. Next week, I'll do some snoop shopping and check out RTW. I only have one purchased skirt in my closet and last night...




...I realized that a hidden zipper might have resolved some of this except that I wasn't brave enough to try the hidden with the plaid. The facing is folded back nicely along the edge of the zipper teeth and will be hand stitched in place. That leaves a length of seam allowance at the top that is raw and exposed. It can be whip stitched in place BUT... SURELY... there is a better way. If you know, please let me know.

Tonight is the opening of my exhibit. Well.... to be totally honest... it is actually the opening of the Emily Carr and Jack Shadbolt exhibit at which we'll get a minor mention. I - teasingly and with absolutely no disrespect intended - refer to this as the famous dead people in the big gallery while Megs and I are the starving artists in the little gallery. Either way - should be fun.

My friend Barb is coming up from Victoria for the opening. I really appreciate her coming AND... she's a retired chemist who worked in the food industry. I have LOTS of questions about substitutions and does this product actually contain X, Y, or Z. Hopefully, I don't wear her out. Hopefully, I don't bawl all over her. Today, I'm going for more testing. This time for hormones and other functions. God only knows (LOL - literally) what I'm about to find out. I might wish I hadn't gone.

Otherwise, a wonderful weekend visiting with a friend. We'll spend some time in the studio. I'll finish my skirt. I was so exhausted last night, there wasn't enough energy. It took me over an hour to buy three vegetables, a box of tea, and a pound of bacon yesterday after reading all the labels. All the non-stick sprays contained soy. All the teas except for peppermint contained an ingredient I can't have. All the turkey was buttered or stuffed with wheat. All the ham and bacon contained corn, even the pound I bought. When I got home, that one ingredient I wasn't sure about was on the list too.

My husband asked around at work for a butcher who sells meat without additives and THREE of the other men said their wives "can't eat anything". They were going home to find out some information for me. I'm thinking a ladies tea party and a chat. Bring your own lunch - VBG.

Obviously, this issue IS related to menopause. I'd been wondering. Not anymore. Without trying, I can list half a dozen women who have allergies to the same extent that I do and we're all around the same age which makes me wonder how many teens developed allergies when their hormones shifted and don't know. I know that my daughter developed an issue right about that time. I can't help but question hormones and allergies. BUT...

... my brain is tired. Enough questioning. Enough reading labels. I'm going to enjoy the opening, enjoy my friend's visit, enjoy working in the studio, enjoy finishing up the skirt, enjoying doing more knitting on my sweater, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. It's the weekend. Enjoy yours.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - visit from Barb

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. - - Preserve sound judgement and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. - Proverbs 3 NIV

I'm exhausted both physically and emotionally. Yesterday, I was too tired even to be in the studio, which is VERY tired. I went to bed really early. It has been not just days and weeks but months and years of prolonged stress which is obviously taking a toll. Thank God I've always believed in self care. Can you imagine if I didn't? Sunday, my husband leaves for three or more weeks. I'm excited for him. This is the trip of a life time. I'm not excited for me remaining home alone to deal with whatever comes up.

Traditional medicine does not have an answer. Alternative medicine is expensive. What I don't want is to spend a lot of money following numerous paths that lead to dead ends. I don't want to become resentful or fearful of food. I don't want to lose too much weight because I can't be bothered eating. I want a plan that will work, help with food from someone local and knowledgeable, strength, the wisdom to discern what is right, and the money to pay for it. Please. Thanks God.

2 comments:

  1. myrna, HUGS! sounds like you need it right now.

    I wish I could be at your opening tonight to see your exhibit AND the Emily Carr/Jack Shadbolt one. Emily is probably my favourite artist.

    I don't know if you have access to a naturopath locally, but I would heartily recommend going to a GOOD one (check around, you'll hear who it is and isn't). My naturopath was the person who helped me navigate through the many health issues when conventional MDs were prepared to write me off.

    Naturopaths undergo extensive training and are versed in many varieties of "alternative" medicines and use their knowlege to help you put your body back into balance. It is a bit of an investment but, depending on what kind of supplemental insurance you have, visits and/or remedies prescribed by them can be used as medical deductions.

    I more than agree with you about the relationship between all these medical issues and hormones...mine started during my late 30's - early 40's (prime time for perimenopause).

    Just letting you know what has worked for me.

    Thinking of you lots these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have stopped using aerosol spray because of the cost. I purchased a Kitchen Spritzer from Pampered Chef and fill it with vegetable oil. When it is closed there is a pump similar to a butter churn that you pump up and down to create pressure. Then the oil is sprayed as usual.

    ReplyDelete