_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 4 January 2010

The Boy Who Wouldn't Buy Tape

Tape is a huge part of my sewing experience. When I'm creating a pattern, I trace the original onto table paper, overlay my moulage, and adjust it to fit me. This typically involves cutting across and shortening through the armhole and hip depth and lengthening below the waist as well as slashing and spreading to accommodate width changes.

When I asked my boys for tape for Christmas, they made great (and repeated) fun of me. My youngest son went as far as to roll down the car window, lean out, and yell "my mother wants TAPE for Christmas". They'd roll their eyes and go "boring". See my lovely new tape dispenser complete with tape. I'm sure my son-in-law was rolling his eyes too but my daughter - she got it. YES YES!





Not that the boys weren't listening. Just differently. The boy who wouldn't buy tape did give me these two wicker baskets that fit on my book shelves and now hold notions. They are so perfectly the right size, I may buy a few more. One of the things my students used to identify in Studio Makeover was whether they worked best with closed or open storage. I definitely prefer closed. Too much clutter and I start crinching up inside and can't function.




Howard gave me 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women and the Jeans Couture DVD and my oldest son gave me Closet Confidential. I've read both books. The information is obviously quite different but both add to what I'm doing now in the studio. I'm waiting until it's closer to jean sewing time to watch the DVD although I just realized it might be good to watch it earlier in case it suggests any tools or notions I don't have.




I'm a huge advocate of ongoing learning. Not so much as to drive ourselves crazy but enough to always be stretching a little bit forward, trying new things, evaluating them, learning from them, and taking that learning forward. It's a long and extended, twisting and turning, challenging and learning time of forever growing up.




One of my learning curves could be labelled the search for the perfect t-shirt. It's close. I've perfected the pattern to the point that it is working fabulous. When done, the shirt follows the curve of my back which is really important to me. I hate bagging excess fabric. The slight stretching through the side seam accommodates a C-cup, the curves of the side seams and center back seam accommodate my high and wider hips, the CB extension allows enough fabric for the "lift" over my hips leaving the hemline straight and even, and the adjustment to the underarm seam placement was VERY comfortable when I wore the blue/grey/black version all day Sunday. In fact, it's my favourite t-shirt of all. SO... what's left?




The pink one I made earlier was the exact same fabric different color to the blue/grey/black knit. It also feels great even with the underarm issues. With the one above, I merged the body of the New Look 6735 with the neckline of the Simplicity 4076 although I then changed the gathers to pleats. The fabric is a fabulous rayon blend, double knit from Emma One Sock. Before sewing the t-shirt, I washed it three times to be sure it wouldn't shrink like the one from Christmas and...

... it feels gorgeous on but the t-shirt isn't as comfortable as the other one. I need to pay more attention to the fabric factor. The knit was a bit too thick and not quite stretchy enough for this t-shirt. I didn't even think about the stretch factor until I tried to ease the side seams together and it barely worked. Oops. I should have been paying better attention. SO...

... LOVE the fabric. It would - I think - be perfect for the Vogue 2893 Christmas top that wasn't or a dress, skirt, jacket, or shirt pattern since it's a very stable knit and would make a soft structured garment. I have two more pieces in a green and a purple. I'll make something that is less t-shirt and more fitted out of them. I'd order this fabric again (and hope to at some point). It's yummy.




As part of the SWAP (sewing with a plan), we are allowed to include a knit garment. I'm working on the Just For Mom Cardigan - although that's a really dumb name - in a dark fuchsia, acrylic wool blend from Patons. I've lengthened it by adding more inches of ribbing at the bottom and upward to the waistline - seven in total. I'm not to sure if I'll knit the neckline this way or change it slightly. This shape is flattering on me however, I'd want to wear it as a top as shown or as a cardigan over something else and I'm not sure how this neckline will blend with an undergarment. Obviously, the pattern is just a guideline. There is some wonderful shaping up the side seam and the sleeves are nicely done.




The instructions read to knit the ribbing using the same needle size as the garment body. If you have a pear shaped, bottom heavy, figure like mine, instructions like that don't make sense. We need a bit more room around the hips. See the markers? The body will be knit using a 4.00 mm needle. From the hem to the first marker was knit with a 5.00 mm needle. From the first to the second marker was knit with a 4.50 mm needle. And, from the second to the third marker was knit with a 4.00 mm needle before continuing on into the garment body. Knit this way the ribbing is continuous and shaped to fit my body with more room where I need it. It's similar to the choices I make with t-shirts.

Today is a wonderful day. It's the day we return to "our regular programming". Being introverted, by the time the holidays are over I am on people and cooking overload and a bit overwhelmed by the clutter and chaos of constant movement in the house. I had planned to clean today but then again, maybe not. It's snowing like crazy outside - the perfect "in studio" day. After the (small) set back of the fabric factor with the t-shirt last night, I'd rather spend today sewing and recharge my batteries at the same time. I have a loose and entirely flexible goal of creating a new outfit for church each week. Right now, I have "nothing" to wear next week.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - time to relax and refresh, choices

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Yesterday's sermon was about how everything is God's and I am an asset manager responsible for taking care of his resources wisely. It was also about hoarding. While listening, I found myself wanting to interject and ask if 450 meters of fabric constituted hoarding - LOL - but concluded that it was more along the lines of stocking up for a rainy day, supplies bought with money in the good years to be used in the lean years. This sounds like something Joseph did with a lot of grain. However...

... NOW I need to wisely use those resources and be careful not to "sweet talk" myself into things that don't make sense. It's very easy to rationalize when confronted with luscious, yummy, on sale fabric. As part of BMOBF (being my own best friend), "we" chatted about accumulation and about spending and about how there are always good deals and about unnecessary guilt levels. Unless I'll be using it immediately, the goal is to sew what is first and buy what will be later.

1 comment:

  1. love the information about the t-shirts you shared. I might have to look at those books, as well.

    Love that blue sweater you are making, I agree the name is dumb - but the sweater will be fabulous. I have never thought of just changing the needle size to give me the room I need (as she slaps herself on the head). I would have done it in the round and just sewed up the shoulder seams and put in the sleeves. Love working in the round because my seaming needs loads more help!

    Any chance you're coming down to the states for the Sewing Expo in Puyallup at the end of February? Would love to have a chance to meet. g

    ReplyDelete