_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 6 January 2010

Yes And So What!

You know how you fall in love with an idea and then you just can't shake it. THAT is exactly what you want. For some reason, the grey version of this Vogue 8511 dress has determined that it must be mine. Monday, I debated it left, right, and center and yesterday, I started.




The whole debate was over these pleats. That's a 3 1/2" fold. They are really wide, use a lot of fabric, and will create bulk at the hips. I'm a triangle. I have HIPS. Even though the pattern kept calling Myrna - sew me - Myrna - sew me - Myrna - sew me, I kept going no, no, no, I'll look fat. AND THEN...




... I thought YES... and so what! The dress is not going to be as slimming as some garments that I have but it's not going to add 500 pounds. I'm forty-seven years old. For how long am I going to not do something I want to do just because it might do something else - make me look fat, make me look silly, make me look ___________ - fill in the blank. If not now, when!

I decided to make a muslin and then I decided to make a wearable muslin and then I dug through my fabric stash looking for one that I'd be happy to wear if works and not miss too much if it didn't. I ended up using this lycra blend that is tan with shots of black on one side and black with shots of tan on the other. I'm not a tan kind of girl so it's black side up.

LOL... after all that debate... this is a fabric I picked up in the discount section for $2.00 a meter so we're looking at no more than a six dollar investment plus a zipper - sub $10.00. Hmm.... perhaps that's what makes me look silly she says, kicking her own butt. The zipper is being annoying. Once that's done, I have the sleeves and side seams to do. Otherwise, here it is so far.




I was chatting with a friend about the whole "will it make me look fat" debate and how stupid that was and about how I have a warped impression of my size and about how sick and tired I am of that holding me back from doing the things I want to do and she said "it'll make your waist look smaller". SOLD! Perspective is everything.

Since the side seams aren't sewn together yet, I belted it in place just to see how it's developing and so far, I like it - at least on Millicent. On me, I'm imagining it with purple tights and boots and an amazing piece of jewelry that I quite possibly don't own... yet - VBG.




Speaking of purple. One of the criteria for the swap is a matching print. I rarely wear prints and if I do, they're fairly abstract and definitely not the matching kind. When I stopped to pick up a zipper yesterday, I also bought a meter of this - on sale 70% off - fuchsia plaid. It goes with my sweater yarn much better than it looks like in this picture. It's for a skirt. Yes... it'll make me look wider... SO WHAT!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - I wore the blue t-shirt all day Monday and the two t-shirts sewn together to make one t-shirt t-shirt all day yesterday and they were both quite comfortable. The blue one is still not my favourite and that is due to the not enough stretch factor. I'm learning.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - But I do more than thank. I ask - ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory - to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for Christians, oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him - endless energy, boundless strength! - Ephesians 1

This week, I've accidentally eaten gluten more than once. Last night, things reached the overload point and my system is reacting strongly. I feel neither intelligent and discerning nor full of endless energy and boundless strength -more like hurting, whiny and resentful. It's so much easier to look at what's wrong rather than all that is right. Yes... I hurt... SO WHAT! To a certain extent, it's the same lesson. This is bad but not critical. I can keep going and it would be easier if I changed my perspective.

4 comments:

  1. Myrna,
    I think you were the one who taught me to take a step back and look at the whole project rather than lingering on one particular section. The minute I looked at Millicent I noticed how slim her waist looked. Your friend had the right idea. This pattern is just right for you.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. M - loved the blog this morning. It reminded me someone once said "Why wait until you're old to wear red??" (or something to that effect.) I believe that we often put off doing ________(fill in the blank), which may have made us extremely happy, satisfied, and whole...which in turn would have benefitted those around us.

    I'm glad you moved ahead with the dress, it looks fab!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Vogue dress. I have that one in my to-do pile, so I'm thrilled to see you making it so successfully. I can't wait to see it finished! Great post, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL about the hammer. I've had my very own hammer for years. DH still rushes down to see what I'm doing. You can see the look of horror in his eyes "a woman with a hammer" much more to be feared than death, pestillence or any physical challenge

    ReplyDelete