_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 11 June 2010

Fine Tuning

Yesterday was a low sewing, high visiting day. After a long leisurely breakfast with one friend, I was barely back home when another knocked on the door. She was in town for the birth of her first grandbaby - a girl. How exciting. How aging. The new mother was in elementary school when their family moved in next door to ours. That's the way it goes but it does make you want to sign up for an exercise class, get a new hair-cut, or perk up your make-up - LOL - or... buy a baby gift. Too fun.

Luckily there wasn't too much left to sew on Jessica's bra. When done, I compared it to the pinned changes from the first trial run and it's going to be close - hopefully a good fit. I'll mail it to her next week.




The pattern is well drafted but I will make a change next time, some fine tuning. The strap is joined through a ring sewn to the front with a fold down tab which is quite short and tight to the bra cup. On the...




... RTW bra that I took apart, the tab extends a lot higher for a smoother look. It also illustrates how to divide the cup to create three parts. I'll try that too. I can't make anymore bras for Jessica until I find out if this one fits but after that, I can try all kinds of ideas and fabrics.




This morning is grey. It looks like rain again. I do hope we see sunshine soon. I have some banking to do this morning and a few errands to run including a stop at Fabricland and then I think I'll sew something for myself. I'm not sure what yet.

Have a great weekend - Myrna

Grateful - all the boxes for charity are stacked by the front door and will be picked up and taken away today. It's good to give and it's good to get that stuff out of my house.

6 comments:

  1. Nice work on the bra. Very pretty.
    Before my granddaughter was born I too thought it was aging. I had a bit of a hard time with it. Now she is a bit over two and my grandson is 9 months old and it is actually the opposite. Playing and interacting with them is making me feel young again and very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna, i have enjoyed following your purge. When I have a better sense of what needs to stay and what needs to go, i will do the same thing.

    the bra is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bra has turned out really nicely. I really want to make a bra, but I keep putting it off. I need to find a good undies pattern first, then I will be happy. Panties seem to be the bane of my existence. It's a long weekend here and I have some wide stretch lace that I plan to start fiddling with. Then maybe next week I can try a bra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Myrna, great bra!! I wonder was it difficult to sew all those little and stretchy pieces together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myrna, The bra is beautiful. I was fascinated to see you say that bras are easy to sew. "A perfect near beginner project." I would never have considered making a bra before but a bra that fits properly is such a rarity that I may have to reconsider. Your lace, tricot, and straps all match to perfection and you talked about making one for yourself in fuschia, lime, or purple. Do you over dye the components to match and if so, what type of dye do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myrna: Great work! I can see I'm going to have fun checking out your blog. And thank you for your birthday wishes... K

    ReplyDelete