_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 2 June 2010

The Slow And Winding Path To Certain Success

Yesterday, while trying on my latest muslin, the doorbell rang. I answered it all the while hoping I was decently covered. Normally, I wouldn't have bothered but I wanted that package and if I didn't get it from the delivery man, I'd have to go down to the office to pick it up. I'm sure he didn't know where to look. There I was with my bust, waist, and hip lines drawn on and pins tucking future changes. It must have been a sight. Oh well! This small, brown box could have been more of a sight. It seems to me that $125.00 dollars should be bigger than this - VBG.




Inside were the lingerie supplies I ordered a few weeks ago. I haven't looked at the Kwik Sew book yet however the bra patterns are quite nice, the wires are individually packaged and labelled for the sizes they fit, and the stretch laces are pretty. It was a risk. I bought the 30 yard stretch lace assortment for $6.00. Good deal. Stuff like this isn't available locally.

Carol wrote - I think once you understand where your waist is in relation to these standard patterns, it makes things so much easier. It's taken me a while to realize that with most waisted dresses I need to lengthen the bodice by about 3cm. Once I did that it seemed to fix a lot of other issues. I'm just this week getting to grips with the high hip/low hip thing and as soon as I understand that I'll be happy. Good luck with your dress.

This comment mimics so well what I was thinking. Learning is progressive. It's a slow and winding path to certain success because as we know more, we can make better choices. What makes me laugh is how often I think I know and then something happens to change all that. I thought I knew where my waist was and then - LOL - it moved. These sheath patterns are teaching me some pretty interesting things and I've come to the conclusion that I need to work down the body.

By working down the body, I mean starting at the top and getting the neck shape correct, the shoulder width and length correct, the armhole depth and shape correct, the bust point position correct, the cup size correct, and so on. That's where I'm at. I've made it to the waist. I thought I knew where my waist was and then I made the Simplicity dress and realized it should be lower. Then I made the last muslin and realized the back is off. In this picture...




... you can see how the back (left) is pulling up. The lower line is the waist line marked from the pattern. The upper line is the top of a tight 1" elastic that I placed around my waist, wiggled this way and that, and then drew around. You can see that my waist should be 1" lower in the back and possibly 1/4" lower in the front. That really surprises me because I honestly thought I had it right. And it's okay. It's good learning. It will take me forward for a long time however...

... it might not get my dress finished by Sunday. I'm hoping it will. The dress itself is not difficult to sew BUT... it's the fitting that will make it fabulous so I want to settle my brain into working that out without panicking and making do when doing wonderful is completely possible. SO... another muslin this morning and we'll see what happens.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - persistence

3 comments:

  1. I once spent an entire weekend making a sheath pattern fit. In the end it was well worth it because it's become almost like a sloper. I check the position of bust darts against it, the curve of my waist to hip and the width of the shoulders. I need to go through the same process for a garment with sleeves now. You got the result you wanted with your jeans after persistence so I know you will get the perfect fit for your dress. Hope it's going well today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just returned from having a fitting session with a professional with the Simplicity 2648 and found it interesting that the first thing she did was measure my arm, right where it meets the body (write it down) and then from the top of the tape measured from there to the shoulder point (write this down). When this was compared to the sleeve pattern I had to add 1.5cm to the armhole of the dress both back and front and the same to the sleeve edges which then brought the sleeve up close to the body which in turn stopped the pulling I get in my sleeves.

    Gee I hope that made sense, I hope to blog about it in the next day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fitting is incredibly frustrating and interesting. I have been told to fix fitting problems from the top down. So what you are saying about fixing the neck, shoulders, bust etc and on downward seems logical and sensible. I wish you lots of success and look forward to seeing how you go.

    ReplyDelete