_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 3 June 2010

The Real Thing

Your husband knows you pretty well - or you've grown more alike than you thought possible - when he says you'll need to paint this. The dresser, which will from now on be referred to as the pattern cabinet, is together and in place. It's taller, wider, and whiter than the dresser that was there before but...




... it holds patterns just perfectly. Only four rows across, not five like the other cabinet I was looking at. That's okay. This one is more attractive and sturdy and not see through so it's perfect. I'm going to put dividers between the rows so the patterns don't move around. I want them to stay in categories. This is just a start. I'll put the rest of them in later today.




The muslin is finished. I'm pretty sure of my measurements and ready to start on the real thing. I'll add the Vogue skirt shape to the bottom of the PMB drafted pattern and copy the neckline shapes from the New Look and Simplicity patterns.

You can see a tuck pinned across the upper back in the image below. Everything else was fine. I'll test that adjustment on the lining... most likely. I haven't decided whether I need to sew a muslin of the skirt and godets. Of course, if I'm debating it, that's as good as thinking yes, I need to. Part of me is saying no and part of me is saying yes and a big part of me knows that an hour spent on a muslin will guarantee results and lessen frustration. I'm all for more success and less frustration so it sounds a lot like I'll be making another muslin of the full pattern. I'm going to use shoulder princess lines in the back and armscye ones in the front. I think that will be the most flattering.




The differences in measurements was interesting - a half inch longer on both center front and center back and much longer shoulder slopes (the distance from the shoulder point diagonally to center front or back) that now allow the shoulder seams to lay smoothly. They're not pulling in tight against the shoulder and that's helping THAT WRINKLE somewhat as well. The armhole shape and shoulder widths remained the same. I made a lot of muslins and it was good learning.... until next time. Things are always changing - LOL.

Thanks Carol for your encouragement to stick with it. I don't think I could do it any other way. I get curious and then consumed by the question. I have to answer it and then play with it and see if it changes some more. Shanon, I'm pretty sure I understand what you are talking about. I'll look forward to seeing it on your blog. My armhole is the other way - shorter. It makes for some frustration with seam lines that end at the armhole. I agree Sue that fitting is both frustrating and interesting. Figuring it out from the top down does seem to make the most sense. My next question will be the hip line and then I'll revisit the crotch curve because I desperately need some more pants... and tops... and dresses... and a jacket... and... and... and...

Today is my birthday. I'm 48. I haven't decided if I'll stop telling my age at 50 or at 60 - one or the other. My age doesn't bother me. I'm proud of all the learning and growing up I've done over the years, especially the last few. Turning forty was fabulous. I hear fifty is even better. However, I do realize that at some point people stop seeing you and start seeing the age with their preconceived idea of what that age looks and acts like. I want to live fully not be typecast by what others may or may not have done so when my age becomes a liability, I'll stop talking about it.

I really, Really, REALLY believe in celebration, especially celebration of ourselves. Too many times we have hopes and expectations that someone else will do something for us and then we're disappointed if they don't. Of course, I have wishes but I don't let that be the full and total sum of my celebration. I plan my own day as well.

When I was seventeen, I went to work for a company that as part of our union contract, we got our birthday off. Since then, I have made a point of celebrating my birthday with something unusual, different, or just for me. As you know, this year I'm making a frivolous dress. How wonderful that I can start on the real thing today. I'm looking forward to it... right after I go out for breakfast and do some journal writing and some thinking about and planning for the next year.

It's wonderful to approach this day mostly calm. I can't say totally calm as there are a few things still up in the air that are beyond my control. However, I am, for the most part, at peace with the significant changes that occurred two years ago. It's rather amazing to lose a job, especially one that you love and are good at, because of someone else's agenda. If you've ever been through that, you understand. It had never happened to me before and was abrupt and devastating both emotionally and financially. It brought about the closure of my business and the beginning of change and that change has been good for me. It's wonderful to be able to see and say that and to know that I am exactly where I need to be.

I'm thrilled to be creating with fashions. I'm enjoying the learning and the challenge. I'm still excited about my idea for the fall so it looks like I'll have a major project to work on. I'm not quite ready to talk about it yet but I do believe it will be wonderful. This next year will be a finishing year. Next June, my youngest son will complete high school and all my children will be adults. My role will change considerably. So will my options. I'm not sure where they will lead me but right now, right here, I'm going to enjoy fully this creative space that I'm in and the increasing balance that is happening in my life. It's good.

Happy Birthday - Myrna

Grateful - a day to celebrate me, another year

14 comments:

  1. So happy to be the first of your blog readers to wish you a very happy birthday and a beautiful frivolous dress! Can't wait to see it!
    Much love and many hugs,
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday!! That dress is really coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Myrna! I've always tried to take my birthday off and do something special I want to do for me.

    It is a great time to look at the past year and decide what the next year might hold for you.

    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Myrna. I hope you eat at least one piece of chocolate today. ;-)

    I have a question. How did you pin that back without a helper?

    Glad you decided to mock up the skirt too. I have found a complete muslin before cutting into the good stuff is well worth it.

    Hope you had a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaPpY BirThdaY!!!
    May you NEVER feel that your age is a liability! I, for one, value the virtues associated with age more than those of youth as they are earned and they become more valuable with time.

    Eat Cake!

    hugs,
    :)Deb M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many birthday wishes being sent your way and hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Myrna!!
    Celebrate YOU whatever your age. Anybody who looks past who you are and looks only at your age is not really seeing you, for yourself. Every one of us is worthy of being acknowledged.
    I'm grateful that you take the time to blog about your fitting processes. It's truly helpful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday. I hope that the day brings smiles to your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birhthday to unique and wonderful you. Thanks for taking us with you on your journey through life. Look forward to the dress reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Myrna. Enjoy the day and your frivolous dress. I look forward to seeing it.
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete