_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 17 June 2010

Two Days, One Exam, And We're Done

What great thoughts on elastic. THANK YOU. It seems that more of you wear elastic waistbands than I thought. I had noticed that they are more prevalent in the stores right now, which works well for gathering ideas. The advice on getting a smoother look is much appreciated. Pouffy gathered doesn't work for me either. I've combined a zipper with an elastic waistband before and that worked wonderfully. Perhaps, I'll do more of this type of thing because while I would like the quickness and comfort of elastic, I don't want it in everything and when I do, I want it to look smooth and flattering.

I spent four and a half hours yesterday morning editing The Battle of Vimy Ridge & The Attack on Pearl Harbor. I thought Kyle was doing WWII but apparently it was one major battle from each war. Either way, the kids know that when they ask me to edit something, it's going to get edited but... that took forever plus another hour last night for pictures, final questions, and putting it all together. Today, it gets handed in. The last report of the year. Two days, one exam, and we're done for this school year. I am so ready to be done as in done, done. Next year is the last year of my youngest child's school years. It's almost as exciting as the first year of my oldest child's. We'll both be moving on to new things. I'm excited to see what this next year brings as I transition into that new way of being. It'll bring something; I'm just not sure yet.

When Howard got to work yesterday, he learned that the union had served 72 hour strike notice meaning the members could be out as early as Friday afternoon. That - of course - brought all spending to a screeching halt. The possible loss of income makes you think about your purchases differently. A good thing. Last night, he got an email saying that the union and the company are back in negotiations. We thought that might happen. It just isn't a good time for a strike for anyone so now we're waiting to hear more details. Hopefully it's all settled soon.




Between the report and that strike news, I was a little bit agitated yesterday. After tracing the jacket pattern, I went for coffee with a friend, finished reading a book, and then sat in the curl-up chair and knit. I've been working on this black cardigan for a REALLY LONG TIME and would like to get it finished or at least feel as if I'm making progress. The two fronts are done. I'll finish the back today, use a three needle cast-off to sew the shoulder seams, and debate whether I'll start on the sleeves or the neckband next. I like to put a sweater together in such a way that when I sew that last seam, I'm done instead of coming back to hide threads or finish a neckline. Most likely the neckband is next and then the sleeves...

... later, after coffee with Francine this morning. Her sister was here for a week from Quebec and left yesterday so I imagine she'll be talking with even more of a French accent with a few what does that mean words thrown in. That's always fun. One of the things I love about the Internet is the way we can learn about each other's cultures and "talk" between countries and continents. It's so amazing.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - end of the school year

No comments:

Post a Comment