_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Thinking About Elastic

At quarter to five this morning, a helicopter was making passes over our house, panning the neighbourhood for some reason although I have no idea why. Looking out the window, I didn't see a fire or an accident. Maybe the news will mention it later today. Whatever it was, it was noisy, made it hard to get back to sleep, and I woke up foggy headed, which really doesn't help with writing especially when you don't have anything to show for your yesterday.

I had a wonderful visit with Liz. She knits and crochets, makes jewelry and sews, has lots of ideas and is eager to learn more. What fun! She's my daughter's age and part of a generation that (unlike mine) seems to be more interested in made by hand again. Only she's realistic. At twenty-four, she has already figured out that a life in the arts is a life of uncertain income. She's getting her real estate license. LOL - real estate just happens to be another one of my passions - as in build or renovate - although only from the sidelines right now. I am so done with moving. We had a good visit. She'd like to come back. Works for me.

Afterward, I made a big pot of chicken soup and then went for coffee with a friend from out of town, the same one that I mentioned last week. She's back again helping out with her new granddaughter. It was a wonderful chat only no sewing happened. All I managed to do was look at the pattern and think about how to sew it without the front facings.

The facings will be necessary to stabilize the back neck but I want something softer and more flowing along the front edge. Ideas are brewing. I'm really Really REALLY hoping to get to them this morning except that the house could use some picking up and I've agreed to edit my son's report on WWII first. I'm convinced that these big reports due the last week of school are make busy work. Next Tuesday is his only exam this term and then he's done until September.

Every morning over coffee, I read a list of blogs. For the most part, I really enjoy them. Occasionally, I feel like everyone else is so incredibly productive while I'm get nothing done especially when the posting says I sewed two dresses this weekend or made five tops this month or something along those lines. I'm sure you know what I mean. You've probably been there, done that, read it too.

My lack of productivity seems extra ridiculous in that I'm on a sabbatical right now and have more time than usual. I'd say I get mired down in the details and yet, that's who I am. Following the curious question does take time and for the most part, it's worth it. Like with the bra. It took a few days and several tries and now I have a pattern that fits really well and can make multiples with ease. That works for me even if on those few days it felt more backward than forward. Thanks for the comments yesterday about sharing my process. They were encouraging.

All of my friends have distinctly different dress styles. It's fun to observe. One wears edgy, up to date, more trendy styles with a bit of glitz. She's the most fashion conscious so I asked her what she thought about elastic. Was it too old lady and dating or was it simply a practical tool? I've been thinking about elastic a lot lately.




I've been back to sewing fashions since last September. In that time, I've produced a lot of so so garments and a few favourites. One is this skirt with the flippy back. It's made from a lycra blend and has a wide elastic waistband. It's an easy sew and took a couple of hours to complete. A few similar skirts would broaden my summer (if it ever comes) wardrobe considerably and quickly. Do I want several skirts with elastic waists? Possibly.

With my height proportions, it's not flattering to tuck a top in and with my hip width, it's not flattering to add details to the lower garment, which means that no one ever sees my waistband. Because my waist is considerably smaller than my hips and fluctuates as all waists do, it has been a struggle to sew skirts, pants, or jeans that fit nicely waist to hip and stay that way. It seems to me that elastic might be the solution. Not on every garment but on many. What do you think about elastic waistlines?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - this is the last week of school

13 comments:

  1. Myrna.....Elastic has its place; wonderful on most garments where tuck-in's are not the norm. Check L. Cuttings garments. Her One Seam Pants will fit a myriad of sizes and mine still fit whether I gain or lose. I think the day of the "grannie pants" is over and elastic seems to be everywhere. (In fact, in the good old days, I tucked a gorgeous silk shirt in the One Seams and wore it w/gold belt.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one solution as a waistband. It's one solution for the fluctuating waist. When I look at the trendy sites, I see it is one waistband band treatment among many that is used. I'm thinking it's OK to use, but shouldn't be my exclusive WB treatment. That said, I do think I'll be running a little clear elastic in all WB's a la Myrna's Comfort Waist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way (never tuck in tops) and I LOVE elastic waistbands! Quick and easy to sew and no worries if you have a big bowl of ice cream one day. The only pants in my closet that don't at least have a back elastic waist are my self-made jeans. I've even added elastic to the back of RTW jeans to make them fit. Skirts I go both ways, but only because I tend to wear them low in the hip, so if they are a little higher up one day (after the ice cream) it's not the end of the world, but probably half of my skirts are elastic or drawstring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone said exactly what I would have said.

    With a waist that seams to change every day if I exercise or not, elastic is the only way to have a wardrobe for work.

    When I finally get my sewing studio more arranged I have a piece of cotton with a repeating motif on the edge and a skirt it will become. Elastic, Oh yes!

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the comfort of elastic waistbands, but not the look of all the extra fabric in that area with the traditional elastic waistbands made with a casing. I do tuck tops in. So I have started using several waist treatments that use elastic as the interfacing in the waistband, or the waist facing. The look is fitted, but the comfort and stretchability (especially needed after lunch) of the elastic is still there. A zipper is needed with this type of elastic waistband, to order to get the garment on over the hips. I noticed it first in several pairs of RTW pants I had in my closet , one a Pendleton brand and the other purchased from the Chadwick’s catalog. I later found an article on how to make this type of waistband in Threads magazine or one of the popular (Sandra Betzina?) sewing books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems to work really well for you. And that skirt is lovely - you've managed proportions excellently in that outfit.

    I do want the option to tuck, though I often don't. I tend to stay away from elastic waists - esp. in pants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skirt looks great. I love elastic WBs! Like you, I don't tuck in my tops. I've even mastered my TNT slack pattern to add the elastic WB.. I love your omments and postings on bras. This fall I hope to get back into sewing a few. We'll see.
    Marciae from SG

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use elastic in all of my skirts and pants. I drafted a pattern with a woven waistband. I cut the waistband the finished width of the elastic that I have on hand. The elastic acts as the interfacing and the waist fits better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If no one can see the waistline and you want elastic, why not use it? I do! Who's to know but the one wearing the skirt.

    That said, I don't like the puffiness around the waistline so I take darts to take out some of the bulk. I just have to be careful not to take out TOO much so the skirt will still slip up and over my hips.

    There's no guilt in elastic waistlines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love elastic. I get wide elastic from Pamela's Patterns and it works really well in knit skirts. I also incorporate it in waistbands of wovens. The elastic can be cut to any width, so it's pretty convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I want the comfort of an elastic waist with an appearance close to that of a fitted waistband, I make the waistband 2-3 inches larger than my waist and use elastic to pull the extra fabric in. The waist gives enough that it accommodates the variations in waist measurement that happen even throughout a single day while giving a smoother look than a traditional elastic waist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Myrna:
    I really like your skirt, what pattern is it? I have a basic straight skirt that is a TNT, but I'm looking for something different (and comfortable). The elastic waist sounds comfy.
    Thanks,
    Jodie
    jkachkar (at) shaw (dot) ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Myrna, I think there is nothing wrong with an elastic waist. It can be done well, and you have figured that out, so that it's not all that bunchy. It is comfortable and at some age/stage I think we realize that comfort is an important factor as is the 'look'. To me if you make a firm waist and have a 'big waist day' then you may get ride up and that shows at the hemline. Way less flattering than a little elastic that is never seen under a skirt.

    Myrna, you are not one to follow the crowd. Follow your heart, like you always do. Loretta

    ReplyDelete