_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 8 June 2010

The Frivolous Dress

Blogger was temporarily unavailable all of yesterday morning. It came back up in the afternoon only by then I was in the middle of cleaning and chores so today's post is Monday's promised one about the frivolous dress.




I finished it on Friday except for lining the hem. I couldn't decide whether to go longer or shorter so I asked a few friends for feedback and they all liked the see through bottom. Since I can be too conservative, I went with that and hemmed the lining at knee level using the scalloped edge of the lace from the godets.




The last time that I was in Nanaimo, I bought a purse at my favourite second hand store. It matched the dress perfectly which was wonderful since I hadn't used it yet and I had nothing else that went with the dress. The shoes are a dark grey edged in black. They were $9.00 on sale at the mall last weekend and have a wonderfully firm but flirty heel. In the picture, they look a bit heavier than I would have liked but I also didn't want to wobble around on stilettos. It's funny the things you see in a picture that you don't see in the mirror like two pictures down where Howard's pants look too long and yet he had them professionally hemmed. I guess I (we) need to take more pictures while getting dressed - LOL.



Our current couple picture is quite a bit different than the wedding one you saw on Friday. We're both older and fluffier but still very happy together. Marrying Howard was one of the best decisions I've ever made. We've grown up wonderfully well together.




This is one of my favourite dress styles. I doubt that will ever change and yet I found myself wondering if I looked old or frumpy or fat. It's those style ruts that we get into that make us feel that way. Even new things are not completely new. We've worn this before. I'm wondering how a person deals with that rut as they age. How do we make the same old same old fresh again? I imagine it's in the details and the process because I really enjoyed fitting and sewing something so completely frivolous. There won't be many opportunities to wear this dress again, perhaps a Christmas party. For thirty dollars and a week of fun, that's okay.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a clean house

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful, wonderful dress and your couple picture is so sweet! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous dress Myrna. It looks perfect on you. I love the purse and the shoes with it. Hopefully you will have many opportunities to wear it again.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look beautiful in your new dress. Love all the different elements of it...and the pic of you and DH is wonderful! Hope you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Myrna! Stunning!!! You and the dress! It's so great to see a couple still happily married after "all those years". You and Howard look very happy. I hope Mitch and I can take as lovely a picture together when we've been together as long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myrna.....what a lovely post... what a lovely dress...Congratulations to you and DH. Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress looks wonderful! Congrats on such a wonderful life together, may every year after this be just as wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You look lovely and the dress is devine. You and Howard are adorable. May you have many happy years together. g

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the anniversary pic of you both beaming with happiness and contentment. As for your dress, it is lovely. I frankly don't find it frivolous and would consider belting it in black leather or suede to shorten quite a bit with a black jacket--for less dressy occasions. I think it would be a a well worn ensemble year round.

    Karen aka Karendee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulation dear Myrna!!!Your dress is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your dress, it's beautiful and you look beautiful in it. You and Hubby look wonderful together, wishing you both many more blessed years together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dress looks beautiful and you have accessorised it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Myrna, what a lovely dress. I think an anniversary is the perfect reason to sew a frivolous dress. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great. Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you have managed to show off your curves without being over the top. Your ability to fit a dress to your figure is what many of us less accomplished sewers aim for as we study and practice our art.

    When your DH saw you all gussied up for your anniversary date, I imagine he was quite distracted. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not old or frumpy or fat. You look wonderful and I've enjoyed the dress-making. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete