_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 4 August 2010

Another One Done

Another one done. What fun. I'm thrilled to be in the studio actually producing something. YES YES! So far, August is sewing much better than July did.




With this teal t-shirt, I used the sleeves from McCall's 6164 - view A shown in pink - combined with New Look 6735. Aren't they fun? They look a lot puffier from the side than the front.




This time, I left in the bust easing from the New Look pattern and added the curvier shape of the McCall's side seam. A completely wrinkle-less t-shirt would need to be painted on. This one looks pretty good. I like the ballerina neckline.




LOL - I've decided not to stand stiff and straight anymore. That said, this picture looks a little twisted. I've never liked being photographed. I'm working on more natural poses and hopefully something more inspirational. Either way - you can see that the back fits nice and smooth. The fabric is not as clingy as I was fearing yesterday. Good - I have two more pieces.




With the bust easing, there is an extra 1 1/2" of length at the level of the bust point. This is eased into the side seam between the underarm and the underbust. Above, the seam looks quite ripply. Below, it has been serged and pressed and is barely visible. As I said yesterday, this easing is not necessary on stretchier fabrics and doesn't work with more stable ones. It simply won't ease in without wrinkles. On this weight of fabric, it worked quite well. If you read the reviews for New Look 6735 on PatternReview.com, you'll see that it's a well liked feature of the pattern.




I've just started reading Chic Simple Women's Wardrobe, another book by Kim Johnson Gross. This quote, describing the icon of a painter's palette, made me laugh. Though it's tempting to think about, one does not live in black or navy alone. COLOR provides sizzle and is the magic in expanding any wardrobe.

So did this one - At times, your clothes will announce you; at other times, disguise you. Your daily uniform? The things you reach for, time after time. One really great thing about clothes? They will never complain that you're too damn hard to live with.

Today, I'm working on a purple t-shirt. This version has a V-neck line and simple, three quarter, sleeves. My clothing tends to be multi-seasonal and I wear a lot of t-shirts under sweaters through the winter months. As fun as pleats and gathers might be, simple sleeves work best for that.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - morning sunshine, friends to sew with, time in the studio, coffee

3 comments:

  1. Myrna, that top is gorgeous. I love the colour and I love the sleeves. It looks really good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Myrna, that top is just so lovely and I love seeing you in color! I go through phases where I am a rainbow girl and more somber. I think my personal coloring needs color, but sometimes my soul needs black and neutrals. They'll have to duke it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous t-shirt, the colour looks very good on you.

    ReplyDelete