_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Newly Stocked

Sara and I spent over an hour at Fabricland yesterday, mostly in the bargain section. While it wasn't on sale, it had been newly stocked. Fabrics that were on the floor last week were now in the bargain section like these gorgeous linings plus one cotton print.




You can tell by the feel how wonderful they are. One of them even had the Bemberg label still on it. They were $2-3.00 a meter. Having a stash of lining fabrics makes it easy to start and finish projects without leaving the house like for the little girl coat where so far everything has come from my stash. It's hugely satisfying.




Before Sara arrived, I tidied up the fabric section of my studio. Besides the green plaid I showed you last week, there is one other fabric that I absolutely want to sew - a textured black. It very lightweight even though it's two fabrics stitched together. The upper layer is scrunched and attached to a scrim backing. I bought it YEARS ago in the bargain section of a chain store that has since gone out of business. Interestingly, there was a fabric almost identical in the new arrivals at Fabricland yesterday only mine was softer and much nicer. YES YES!




The textured black fabric is on the Self Imposed Sewing Club list. I've paired it with the Issey Miyake V1052 jacket above that calls for very lightweight fabric. It's also on the list. I haven't decided on the pants in that pattern. I prefer the V1186 ones below.




Yesterday, I also went through my pattern cabinet and pulled out a pile of possibilities for the list. They are sitting on the work island right now being reviewed. Considering that I have over 400 patterns, it's a bit of a shock that only sixteen made the cut and of those only ten are in the absolutely want to sew or I'll regret this category. I'm debating the rest. That tells me that at a later date I need to review the remaining patterns, carefully check the line drawings to see if those were my inspiration, do some reviews just in case that prompts a memory, and clear out what doesn't work.

Nothing happened with the little girl coat yesterday. It's still waiting to be cut out. I'm planning to do that this afternoon before going to knitting tonight. I doubt I'll get much sewing done but if it's cut out and ready to go, that's progress.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a wonderful afternoon with a sewing friend who gets it - no eyes rolling back or glazing over and a lot of fun.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, pretty! That jacket is so fun, with all of the ways to do up the collar and I LOVE the 1186 pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet deal on the lining fabric! I went to my local Fabricland earlier this summer and found they were selling Bemberg for $16/meter and had no batiste (I can't remember why I needed either batiste or bemberg, but I did).

    I'm glad to have found your blog!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appear to be spending Canada's GDP at Fabricland this month (thank goodness I renewed my membership card!). Yesterday I got 3 yards of orange ponte doubleknit (a poly blend) and 2 silky shirt fabrics - because I intend to sew the Sencha Colette pattern as soon as I can get my hands on it. The 2 fabrics were a burgundy silk for 5 bucks a yard! And a poly animal print - but very demure, small, textured and in a taupe / green / beige palette.

    I had to stop myself from buying some great sweater knits they have - quite fine but perfect for whipping up with the new serger. If they hadn't been 15 bucks a yard (after my discount), I would have done it...

    ReplyDelete