_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 1 September 2010

A Year Ago Yesterday

Gabor Mate (with that little accent over the e that I have no idea how to do in Blogger) is a doctor in the downtown eastside of the City of Vancouver. If you're Canadian, you immediately know that's a really tough area to work in, one filled with drugs, alcohol, prostitution, violence, homelessness, and all sorts of other issues. It's so far removed from my life that I'm in awe of the people who work there and the people who survive on those streets.




In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts is Gabor's book about addiction. A childhood friend has an addiction to cocaine. The children of two friends are addicted to crystal meth and other substances. To understand them and what they are going through, I wanted to understand addictions more and what I've come to understand so clearly is that we all have addictions in different forms and what addictions do to our brain wiring.

I tend to be very compulsive about new ideas and learned early not to go there because I can be so easily sucked in. I never smoked, drank, or did drugs although I remember clearly the day that I absolutely had to get in car to drive to the store to buy Pepsi. Pop seems harmless but when you're telling time by your consumption and you can't imagine going two hours never mind two days without it something is going on, something not good. I was appalled with myself. Even so, I've had to quit several times.

With longer sentences and bigger words, Gabor defines an addiction as something that you know is harmful to others and to yourself and you do it anyway at great cost and great pain. He himself is addicted to classical music spending $6,000.00 in his most extreme week. And to work. In our North American culture, being a workaholic is darn near a badge of honor and yet when I think about the things I did and didn't do in the consumption of my work appetite, that's one addiction that I wish had passed me by.

That I was a workaholic came from totally out in left field. I started my business to work from home and to be with my children and it ended up absorbing every minute of every day, partly as a creative outlet, partly as an emotional escape from some of the stresses in our household. I ran the business for twenty years and closed it a year ago yesterday. In retrospect, I wish I'd done it sooner. I gave up too much for too little. What is, is. Moving on.




I've been sewing fashions for the past year. When I opened my business, all of my creative energy focused on designing, writing about, producing and teaching quilting and then textile art. Fashion sewing became that thing that I wanted to get back to and when I closed my business, it was time. It's SO FUN.

One of the things that I really love about sewing fashions is the opportunity to focus in on details and to create unique garments that wouldn't exist otherwise. On the weekend, I layered and channel quilted a boucle. Although you can purchase pre-quilted fabrics, you won't find a pre-quilted pink boucle (again with that accent on the e that I have no idea how to do).

Above, I cut out each piece individually placing the pattern upside right on one quilted section and right side down on the other. Individual cutting is another attention to detail step. It's not my favourite way to cut out and yet it needed to be done with this garment. The combination of what needs to be done and what I want to do is just the way it is. I've made a decision to enjoy all of the process rather than rush any steps because one thing I know for sure from my career is that when you do your best at every stage, the results are worth the work.



I'm sewing Simplicity 2745, a little girl's coat, in a size three. It's for the granddaughter of a friend. I'm not sewing the coat because it's less expensive than buying one or because it's easier than shopping or because it will be greatly appreciated. I'm sewing it because two ideas collided - little girl coat and pink boucle - and I wanted to explore that thought and see where it took me. I'm sewing it for me and for my expression of creativity.

It's been a delight to discover that sewing fashions is far less expensive than creating textile art. I am REALLY enjoying that factor and I've become quite an expert bargain shopper. Yesterday, you saw some lining fabrics purchased on Monday. In total, I bought 23 meters for $65.41 by waiting for and shopping in the bargain section. Two days earlier, those twenty-three meters at the regular floor price would have been $391.00 meaning that I saved $325.59. Isn't that fascinating?

The fabrics, threads and embellishments used in textile art are incredibly expensive. So are the canvasses that I attached my pieces to. One small piece could easily cost several hundred dollars. In contrast, I picked up some thick, grey, t-shirt knit the other day for $1.00 a meter at the Wal-Mart selling out the fabric section sale. It's enough to make two t-shirts and to explore two creative ideas without breaking the bank. You'd have to know how absolutely stressed out I was by the end of my business, and in particular by how much my art form had begun to cost our family, to know why that makes me do the happy dance.

Good deals are everywhere. I've learned to admire a new fabric and then ignore it until it either does or doesn't go on sale because, whether or not it does, something fascinating will always come along. I've begun to wonder if I'm addicted to fabric or whether I'm addicted to the good deal and the creative potential of those pieces.

Contrasted with the work that Gabor is doing, addicted is being used in its light and somewhat meaningless way indicating that I'm very drawn to something as opposed to consumed by it to the detriment of our family. Yes, I have a stashed up studio but I am by no means a hoarder. There are limits and everything is contained within the closet of one room of our home - my studio - the greatest place on earth.




Yesterday, I put together the patterns for the Self Imposed Sewing Club along with the two fabrics that I for sure want to sew up. I'll talk about that some more tomorrow. SO EXCITING. Today, I'm working on the coat. Wendy is coming over this afternoon instead of tonight as usual. While she doesn't sew fashions, it's wonderful to have a friend in town who sews and to spend time together each week.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - healthy fascinations

6 comments:

  1. "One of the things that I really love about sewing fashions is the opportunity to focus in on details and to create unique garments that wouldn't exist otherwise."

    I'm doing that head nodding thing again! *smile* I have a job. A very stressful job that makes me a good salary. Sewing is my creative release.

    Although it may seem as if I've rushed through the sewing, I've actually spent a lot of time planning so that when I get to the cutting table or my sewing machine, my plan is firm and there's no dawdling...thereby more does seem to emerge from my machine.

    But I digress...your sentence so eloquently summed up how I feel about my sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to change the subject, but...

    “WEDNESDAY, JULY 28, 2010
    Back To Work Program
    The other thing I miss about teaching is teaching and that's the decision I've been working on for the last few weeks. While I have toyed with the idea of going back to a traditional job over the past year, I've only made token inquiries. If financially we need me to work, I can and will and will be an amazing employee but unless that happens, I'd prefer a back to work program.

    Back in April, I mentioned that I was thinking over a possible direction but didn't want to talk about it until I had taken more time to make my decision. I've made it. While I won't be going back to a traditional job, I am looking for opportunities to teach both online and in real life and I plan to write a book (maybe two) starting this fall.

    The book will be on how to be creative with fashion as opposed to with textile art and will transfer and adapt the information I taught previously to this new form. I'll continue to teach design in both textile art and fashion. Design basics are the same. It's just the media that changes. I'm quite excited about both the return to teaching and this book project. Some of the garments that I could have been sewing are ones I'd like to show in the book so I've been holding off on making them until I made the decision and figured out a plan for the illustrations.”

    Myrna, You posted the above.

    Have there been any more developments in your teaching on line and writing decisions?
    After taking some of your classes I am looking forward to the opportunity to take more if they are subjects that I would like to learn about.

    Karen K. Wright in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is the exact reason I abandoned the custom sewing and alteration business I had "babied" for forty years. I now sew for MYSELF and will alter garments for a dear friend, but this all. The creative process is far easier when one is not under the gun to produce. Good work and best wishes......Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's wise that you recognized your compulsive tendencies and were able to channel them in a positive way. So many don't pay attention until it's too late.

    I'm glad you're enjoying sewing again by doing something different! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Mate's definition of an addiction is so simplistic as to be almost ridiculous. I know--I'm a recovering alcoholic. Buying/listening to classical music is not going to kill you. Working too much will not likely kill you. But drinking too much alcohol and/or doing too many drugs WILL kill you. Chemical addiction is, thus, very, very dangerous. Thank God I had the fortitude to stop drinking in 1989 and haven't drunk a drop since. It was, without question, the hardest thing I've ever done. I really don't think that cutting back on classical music or working too much would be nearly as difficult.

    Gail D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Myrna,
    I'm awed by how sensitive you are to your feelings and needs. It's inspiring to read about how you are able to evaluate and make difficult changes in your life. I'm grateful that I found your blog.

    Regarding accent marks. If you google something like "making accent marks on the pc [or mac]", you'll get a long list of resources. Here's one that's pretty well explained for pc: http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

    Best regards,
    Cathi

    ReplyDelete