_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 10 September 2010

Left Over Bits

First Dawn and then Beth bought this purple paisley matte jersey from Fabric.com. Have I mentioned that I LOVE PAISLEY and I'm rather fond of purple and I wear an awful lot of black AND... it's a jersey knit. The PERFECT fabric and at $4.99 a yard, a good deal. I clicked through. My hand hovered. I clicked away. What a good girl am I she says with a major case of fabric envy.




While avoiding online shopping - VBG - I knit and finished the last two toques. That's it. Nine in total and all different. I can't remember but I think it was nine balls of yarn too, or at least eight, so roughly one ball per toque. That's not bad.




There are only two small left over bits. Not even 2" worth and definitely not enough to knit another toque. I'm glad to be done. These little bits will go to my friend Rosemarie who knits small hats as baby gifts. She'll be able to work them into a boy hat some how.




K-Line wrote - I love your blog. You are so analytical - a quality I greatly admire. And so organized in your approach. I write my blog posts on the fly, whenever I have 10 minutes, and hope for the best. I can't wait to see how that jacket turns out because I'm going to make it, if ever my parcel arrives... Vogue delivery is horrendous. Furthermore, just want to say that, at heart, I think you are an old-school home economist. You bring so much thoughtfulness to the way you are living your life and the implications of your actions and consumption. In practical ways. You're living a conscious life.

My friends are rolling on the floor laughing - Myrna? Analytical? Try extreme over-thinking. I've got it down to an art form. I've always been excessively organized as well. I just see it. I can't always live into it but I can see it. Living a conscious life is such a wonderful compliment. Thank you.

If I'm an old-school home economist, I wish that I could settle to the role a little better. I was raised women's lib, complete with attache case, power suit, and a corner office with a window. I traded that for self employed from home and now for home making. Not working has been an adjustment. It's taken quite a while to feel (more) comfortable.

Lately, an unfortunate contrast has made me aware of how far I've come. For several years I've read the blog of an artist who I'm not going to name for obvious reasons. Lately, she's been falling apart in public and it makes me want to gather her up, hug her tight, wrap her in cotton, and put her to bed until life settles down again. It's a horrible feeling to be falling apart never mind in public. Been there, done that. It took two years just to feel sane and now it's really quite lovely to feel (more) settled. Time and all.

Re: the Vintage Vogue jacket. I've been pondering the instructions. They are labour intensive with non-fusible interfacing and a lot of hand sewing. Yesterday, I used fusi-knit on the facings as I've decided to change things and attach the facings to the lining, sew it right sides together with the main garment, leave the bottom edge open , and hem the main garment and lining at staggered lengths. This will work for wearing ease and be a lot easier while maintaining the weight of the hem. IMHO a four piece pattern should not be so much work.

jlynn wrote - What will really save you money is don't throw any food out. Like in sewing, use up every scrap. Cook from your pantry at least once a month. Staying home and being a homemaker and mother is the best job ever. I do all my work in the morning, food prep, throw in laundry, clean 1 to 2 rooms and schedule sewing for the afternoon. I limit errands and try to do them all in one day. Good luck. I saved more money by not working.

I've crunched the numbers numerous times and in many cases - not all - I think you're right. It depends on your salary and expenses but often - especially with daycare - staying home can be more cost effective. Even so, it's a total change from the "norm" and makes you feel out of sync. For me, I have to have ways to challenge my brain. Organizing and creating help. It sounds like I'm on the right path. I've been working really hard for the last year to not throw out produce or left overs. I make decisions on what to cook by what's in the fridge and right now, I'm working my way through the pantry to use up things that have been there too long and the freezer to free up room for two meat orders coming this fall.

Yesterday, I emailed my son-in-law to say that I'd ordered an organic turkey. He loves turkey, not just a little bit but a LOT. He emailed back with an attached itinerary showing that he'd booked tickets for him and Jessica to fly home on Christmas Day. Too fun. All it took was turkey. He really does love it. One year for Thanksgiving (edited: actually it was Easter) I made the regular turkey dinner BUT... two days before I made him an entire turkey dinner of his own and packaged it up in TV dinners to take home. It was a few months before the wedding and he was living in Red Deer way too far away from us. With the help of the microwave, he - and everyone else in the office - thought about me for weeks - LOL.

A few chores this morning and then I plan to work on the jacket. Hopefully I'll have something constructive to show on Monday. Have a great weekend.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - freedom of religion

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Freedom of religion does not mean just the freedom of MY religion. I can't support burning the Koran just as I can't support burning the Bible. The situation with Florida pastor Terry Jones is concerning. This is not freedom of speech. It's disrespectful, violent, and fear inducing and could have far reaching repercussions that impact all of us. Hopefully things head in a more peaceful direction.

2 comments:

  1. The first step in settling into a role is acknowledging it. Seems you're on the right track!

    PS: There's this book called Tailoring (Gertie advised us to buy it for the sew along.) It's REALLY useful and beautifully presented. It might be a good addition to your library if you intend to sew more coats and tailored items. Esp. those that don't use fusibles...

    Note: It's totally clear but also gives some excellent artisanal advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth got her piece of the purple and black jersey and was a little disappointed. Because the design is flocked, it was a little stiffer than she anticipated. Perhaps it was a good thing that you decided against it.

    ReplyDelete