_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 29 September 2010

A Fabric Snob

On Friday, the first day of the class, I worked on the Vogue 2983 skirt. Ron thought the muslin fit well and needed only minor changes. The changes and methods he suggested were what I expected. That felt good. It's nice to know that I'm on the right track.

We added an inch through the back width and shortened the overall length by 5 1/2" bringing the hem to just above knee level. The pattern pieces are so weirdly shaped that it was fussy to do. I expected the resulting skirt to be more of a muslin and it was although not because of the alterations. They worked out fine. I didn't like the fabric. It was limp and lacked body. I'm planning to sew the design again. This time, I'll use a more substantial fabric and won't cut the center back on the bias. Instead of supporting the design, it created issues.

On Sunday, I began by working on the Vogue 2893 top. Again, Ron agreed with the alterations. We added 5" of width to the back hip, shortened the armhole by 1/2", and widened the bicep by 1" on the upper sleeve piece. I tested that by inserting a new sleeve. Instead of sewing the top in class, I decided to finish it at home where I could underline the silk dupioni and give the whole thing more concentrated attention.

As I said earlier, sewing in a crowded area was difficult. While working on the top muslin, I reached forward to pick something up off the table and knocked my coffee cup over spilling coffee on Dorothy's white blouse in progress. I ran with it for the cold water and Sarah cleaned up the mess but it didn't help. The coffee wouldn't come out.

Dorothy (who told us she was 76) wasn't in the least bit upset. She was incredibly gracious and said Oxyclean would take it out no problem. Kathy told me later that Dorothy was more worried about me than anything. It did shake my nerves especially - LOL - since - as you know - I'm a hormonal mess living on the edge. I decided to do something familiar instead, like sew the black t-shirt I'd brought cut out and ready.




This version has a ballerina neckline. I shifted the pattern center off fold by 1/2" meaning there was an additional 1" of width to the neckline. Using a twin needle, I made a series of tucks to eat up the width and add interest to the neckline. It worked well. I like the subtle texture. I bought an even wider twin needle to try on another garment. I really enjoy working with knits. Good thing since I've bought lots over the past year.




On the way home, I stopped at the Fabricland in Chilliwack to check out their bargains which weren't nearly as wonderful as the ones in Nanaimo. I found two knits both of 100% unknown fibres. I really don't have a problem with that labelling when the bolts are in the bargain section but on the floor, I feel we should be told what we're buying. I'm becoming such a fabric snob. I want quality fabric for cheap prices. These two feel like rayon spandex blends. They washed up beautifully. The grey was $1.50 a meter on sale and the purple was $6.00 a meter on sale. Six is more than I normally pay however, this is one of those fabrics that I know I'd be drawn to in RTW and that's still a good price.




My order from Bra Makers Supply was here when I arrived home. Included was the black microfibre tricot, the white antron jersey, and the white swirl patterned simplex. The first two were test samples for panties. Neither will work. The microfibre is too heavy and the jersey doesn't have enough stretch. I'll use them and the simplex for bras. I also bought...




... the Amanda pattern for a seamless, soft cup, bra. It's sewn using either regular or push-up angled foam cups also sold by Bra Makers Supply. Apparently the push ups are very pushy. I didn't get those. I got...




... the regular ones in my size just to experiment. Holding them in front of the mirror, they look gigantic. Sewn in, they should be great. I've sent a question to my instructor about my daughter's bra. My guess is that in order to use a more supportive or lace fabric I will go up one cup size and shave off the top of the lower cup. She suggested that before as another solution so I want to confirm. Otherwise, Jessica called yesterday and said she really REALLY loves the bra. That's what I was looking for.

Getting up yesterday morning, I missed the interesting conversations on a variety of topics that I'd had each morning over breakfast at the B & B. I missed the creative energy and interaction and the challenge and learning of the workshop. I missed the stimulation of new sights and the camaraderie of dinners and the intellectual exchange with friends. As much as I love my husband and my boys, coming home felt heavy because most of the day, I am alone. Although I can sew any time I want, I don't always want to which means that I am often both bored and broke. That's not a good combo. With money, there would be so many interesting avenues to explore. Without it, life can become a prison.

I spent yesterday thinking a LOT - as in probably too much - about what to do next. While I'd like to hang in there another year, until next September at least, because everything will be different when Kyle graduates, I'm not sure that I can. Equally, I'm not sure that I can't. I feel torn between two right answers. It's surprisingly difficult.

My idea is/was to write a book on T & T patterns teaching how to take a basic t-shirt and skirt pattern and use them as the starting point for fashion design. This would include design ideas and ways to find and to work with inspiration. Writing the book and developing the workshop greatly interests me. It's a version of the work I used to do and really enjoyed. BUT. When I asked for their advice, Kathy said it would be a harder class to sell at a local shop and tough getting going. Ron agreed but said I'd be great at teaching it and that I could use his name as a reference. They both agreed that fashion sewing was on the increase and that years down the road this concept could do well. That's the grey yes.

I can easily see myself putting together a book and a workshop and enjoying every minute of teaching it. I'm a fabulous how-to writer, an excellent instructor (I have the reviews to support that statement), and a solid artist. I get it. That said, I know that even big names are struggling and that it would cost money and take copious amounts of time and energy to put together a project like this with no results guaranteed. Because of that, the stress could zap any enjoyment gained. Ask me how I know.

SO...unless someone comes knocking on my door offering me a real life class to teach, or an online one (Edited at 9:55 AM - I think online would be an excellent venue so I sent an email to PatternReview.com suggesting the idea. We'll see what happens.), or a book contract, and makes the dream doable, it isn't looking like the right direction and I'm not holding my breath that that will happen. Knowing all that needs to be done and how unlikely realistic success is, I find myself drawing back from following up the dream. That's not good and it is. I also don't want to chase rainbows. I want more money, more intellectual stimulation, more interaction, more of a lot of things in my life but not more stress. Have you been here, done this? How did you cope?

Today, I'm cleaning house. If I have time, I'll finish sewing the t-shirt I started on Sunday right after I figure out what's wrong with my serger. Right at the end of the class, the lower looper thread broke, came unthreaded, and wouldn't fix easily. I took that as a sign to pack up. Tonight, I'm going out for dinner with my friend Rosemarie (the weaver) and then to a talk on hormones at the health store. It's just hormones as opposed to menopause but hopefully interesting info. If not, it'll at least be fun to go out with a friend.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - although I'm in the itchy anxious vacuum of the unknown, I am confident that an answer will appear and that when it does, it will be just perfect.

6 comments:

  1. My reaction to too much stress is to go to my chiropractor. He has a massage therapist who works with his patients 1 hour before he does any adjustments. The massage therapist is fantastic and gets all the body stresses out. Also our conversation de-stresses me as well. It is a win win situation.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love that book idea. I have a few TNT patterns, but don't know the steps to take to get from what I have that I know fits, to the inspiration.

    I'm glad your workshop was so inspiring. I think we'll be Nainamo next summer - I'll have to check out that B&B and the fabric store. Thanks for sharing. g

    ReplyDelete
  3. - quality fabric for cheap prices:
    I must admit, I'm with you there!

    - write a book on T & T patterns teaching how to take a basic t-shirt and skirt pattern and use them as the starting point for fashion design.
    Yes please!!!or you could just blog?????????

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Knowing all that needs to be done and how unlikely realistic success is, I find myself drawing back from following up the dream. That's not good and it is. I also don't want to chase rainbows. I want more money, more intellectual stimulation, more interaction, more of a lot of things in my life but not more stress. Have you been here, done this? How did you cope?"

    Tricky stuff. Right now I'm in the midst of a dream about starting my own small publishing company, which is not the most practical plan ever. But I've been very practical the last few years and I feel like I'm losing my identity, my ability to be unique and use the skills that only I have. It's a dilemma. Honestly, I think those of us that worry about being practical and avoiding stress (good goals, in context) are too timid, while those who are more the 'damn the torpedoes' type rush in without forethought. How to get that balance, and to honor one's self while still interacting with the larger world in a meaningful way - I wish I knew. It's something that occupies me a lot lately. I will stop there for now and perhaps have additional thoughts later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Myrna, I can see an online class at somewhere like PR has a large possible user base and the technology to run the classes. It makes a lot of sense as a low cost option to you. Check you are happy with the terms and conditions especially the copyright of your material. A friend did an online course on PR which she enjoyed and found useful. She downloaded the course material each week and printed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Myrna. Have you thought about an e-book for this idea of yours? I think that combined with something like a Pattern review on-line class, you may be able to reach many people and perhaps make your brilliant idea workable.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete