_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 27 September 2010

A Grey Yes

Class is over. It's time to pack up and go home. This is bitter sweet. I'd love to learn more from Ron and continue spending time with other creative women AND I'm looking forward to being back in the studio. That's one of the things...




... I found a bit difficult. After my 300 square foot studio, sewing in a 2' x 4' rectangle with a shared ironing and cutting board is an adjustment especially as we are bumping bums every time we move about. It's not that I can't be polite and share - I can - I just had to remember how - VBG (very big grin).

The first class that I took here in Nanaimo was the bra-making workshop which didn't require many supplies. The second class was with Ron Collins and Sandra Betzina which was held at a different location. This third experience has taught me how to pack for future workshops. I plan is to bring muslins ready for fitting so that I can benefit from Ron's expertise however, I won't sew the garments until later when I return home. Instead, I'll bring patterns that are already fitted with the fabric cut out and ready to sew. At least that's my theory now. I'll test it and let you know how that works.





There were seven students in the class plus Ron. We each had a sewing table around the outside of the room with one long cutting table in the middle. Two ironing boards were set up off to the side by the kitchen. Lunches were provided. They were YUMMY and made to work with my allergies which was greatly appreciated. I'm going home with lots of food ideas and, hopefully, some small touch of the cooking bug.




Both Kathy and Ron both love to sew and to cook. I'm not sure how long Kathy and her husband Perry have owned the Snip & Stitch. They have done an amazing job of building their business and providing quality products and classes. If you have a chance to visit, do. I'll be back in February for another workshop with Ron.

I talked to Kathy and to Ron about my business idea. They felt it would be tough getting going and had potential because they see the interest in fashion sewing increasing. That's a grey yes which means I'll need to give the idea more thought. My friend Barb drove up from Victoria to have dinner with me last night (1 1/2 hours) and we talked it over. She agrees - more thought. You know how good I am at that. Shouldn't be a problem. I'll do a mental pro and con sheet and weigh out the pluses and minuses. We'll see.

One key ingredient for me is that any business idea I follow up does NOT cost our family money. That's not someplace I can go again. I won't be spending copious amounts of money to maybe or maybe not make money. That so rarely happens and it's not likely in my field. Even the big names are finding it difficult to make ends meet so if I'm going to be a happy little name, I need to go about this wisely. Wisely is way more fun and that's important to me. I've been burned out once before and I'm not willing to go there again.

As you know, money management is also really important to me. I saved for this trip and came with cash. Cash holidays are fabulous. They're so guilt-less and I find when I have cash, I'm even more picky about what I buy. There were some great deals. One of the women said that she can never find those kinds of buys. That was interesting for two reasons. The first is that we were shopping in the same places so those buys were available to both of us. The other is that I used to feel that way about ideas and then I realized if you invite the flow of ideas into your life and welcome them, they will come. So will good buys. I now expect to find them and I do. If anything, I have too many ideas and too many good deals. LOL - I can handle that - I think!




Remember a week or so ago when I cut out the Vintage Vogue jacket from the baby cord with the purple paisley? I didn't like the jacket but I loved the fabric and regretted its loss. When I was here in April, that fabric was in the bargain section. Coming back, I hoped it would still be there and it was - 3 meters at $2.50 a meter. The bargain section was on sale 50% off. Perfect. AND... a linen rayon blend in a denim blue at 70% off.




This lime and black rayon knit was also 70% off. I'm not sure which side is the right side. They're both gorgeous. I bought it and the zebra print below from Kathy at the Snip & Stitch. The zebra print is a polyester blend...




... that was 40% off and has a wonderful, suede-like, feel. The color is incorrect on the monitor. It's a more cream than white with dark green and black.




You can only seeing half the fabric in this image. The other half is the same as the top with the blue and black. This is cotton silk, regular $22.00 a meter, on sale for 70% off. It is an incredibly light and flowing fabric. I'm debating a dress or skirt with pleats or gathers that I normally wouldn't sew because of the bulk. Such a light fabric makes it possible.




What appears to be two fabrics on the left is the same cotton silk, border print in a pink and orange colorway also regular $22.00 a meter. Then the blue/purple one. Then a plain blue cotton silk that was regular $18.00 a meter and a purple cotton voile that was regular $10.00 a meter. These were all on 70% off. The purple is to underline and strengthen the silk dupioni for the lace-up top. I'll tell you more about that tomorrow when I'm back home and settled.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a wonderful weekend of learning, shared interests, and camaraderie

5 comments:

  1. Can you link us back to the post on your business idea? I need a refresher.

    And looks like you had a terrific time! I love the zebra fabric, fyi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a fabulous time. And I like your comment about not finding the bargains and how it relates to finding creativity. It requires being open to the possibilities, but also some structure or some sense of what you are looking for, or looking to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time, with opportunity for sewing and thinking. Good to both! You got some beautiful fabrics. I'm looking forward to seeing what they become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're home rested and raring to go after your Sew-Cation. I'm definitely going to have to venture further into Nanaimo to visit the Snip and Stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems you've had a fantastic time and learned heaps. The fabrics you have bought are gorgeous and colourful. The lime and black knit is yummy, I think the more limey side is the right side but like you commented, you could use either side as they are both nice. Really looking forward to seeing how you use the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete